The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-01-2021, 11:55 AM

Default Finally Found It--The Original TV Version Of Spielberg's 1971 Movie "Duel"

If you conduct a YouTube search for Steven Spielberg's initial movie-length directorial debut--the classic "Duel"--in which a crazed truck driver terrorizes a lone motorist played by Dennis Weaver (the ultimate road rage thriller, as it were), you'll probably discover various iterations of the theatrical-release version issued after the original made-for-television event had first aired over ABC on November 13, 1971, a film shot on location in "Canyon Country," northwestern Los Angeles County, a scenic geographic transition zone situated between typical SoCal chaparral botanic associations and the neighboring Mojave Desert.

Many "Duel" aficionados recollect with great fondness the original version that aired over broadcast television, a slightly shorter format than the theatrical release (by about 15 minutes or so) that benefits in my own personal estimation from a more effective, tautly concentrated structure--with more illuminating monologue thoughts communicated by Weaver, as well.

I remember first viewing the original-release "Duel" on a Saturday "matinee" over a local television station several years ago; not only was I spell-bound with the action, and correspondingly impressed with the dynamic direction of Spielberg, but an ancillary cinematic observation soon arose that Spielberg obviously used many of the lessons he'd learned on that shoot while filming the legendary vehicle chase sequence in "Raiders Of The Lost Arc" some ten years later.

Unfortunately, when with eager anticipation I attempted to locate that original television-format "Duel," all I could find was the padded, yet still excellent theatrical release that includes a much longer introductory drive through the streets of LA (beginning at the home of Weaver's character David Mann, apparently), though in the original ABC movie of the week the action immediately commences with Weaver already in Canyon Country, on the road, listening to the radio (the voice is of course "Sweet" Dick Whittington, a legendary radio personality who from 1968-69 actually appeared with the ensemble cast in the Rowan & Martin "Laugh In" television show), just about to encounter his terror truck. Two additional scenes not present in the original TV movie--also added to increase time length commensurate with a theatrical film--include Weaver at a gas station talking to his wife on the telephone, and a much over-long/over-wrought sequence where Weaver helps out a bus driver with a load of children.

Suffice to say, that first television version of "Duel" has seemed impossible to find.

But, in actual fact it's been available for streaming and download through the Internet Archive since September 5, 2018, over at Deul, 1971 ABC Television Version. I just discovered it the other day.

For comparison, here's the longer theatrical film version (in English, with Finnish subtitles--it's the best YouTube version currently available, I think):

Last edited by Inyo; 12-03-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Great movie! My introduction to Spielberg.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:25 AM

I watched that with my dad when I was little. Couldn't care less who directed it LOL. Movies I watched with dad because HE wanted to wash them:

ALL Clint Eastwood movies. Westerns and the Dirty Harrys. I still watch the spaghetti westerns whenever I run across them on tv.

Smokey and the Bandit. My took me to the movies to see this one, he had no idea how bad the language was! I was like 7. I was laughing so hard I ended up on the floor! I own that movie now.

Any movie about WWII, because my father served in WWII in the Pacific, from late 1941-1945.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 12-05-2021, 02:18 PM

"YOU CAN'T CATCH ME ON THE GRADE!!!!!!!!!"

Great movie. Watched it on the movie of the week back in '71. Have seen it a couple of times since.

The tarantula scene is scary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic