The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-29-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post

I hope it's because law enforcement officials are on the case and don't want to jeopardize the investigation and are rounding up those involved.

PJ
It wouldn't surprise me if there is an ongoing investigation going on. People always want to know right now, but it takes a while to build a case, even one that is a slam dunk and leaking information to the curious public does nothing to further the case. So I'm just guessing that is why we aren't hearing anything about it. I will admit though that I'm part of the curious public that would like to know.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-29-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
While the comments concerning why one shipping company may be used over another are interesting, I'd like to go back to the original story for a moment.

It seems to me that each one of those 300-400 packages can be traced back to the truck it was placed on for delivery, so FedEx surely has their answer right now.

Granted we're talking about a larege number of packages, but we're also talking about a computer system that has the ability to track millions of packages daily.

Why is it we're just being told, and re-told, the same story about the packages being "found in a ravine" but nothing about the investigation? (I just read the exact same story for the third time in a different newspaper)

I hope it's because law enforcement officials are on the case and don't want to jeopardize the investigation and are rounding up those involved.

Seriously, FedEx HAS to have this information. Surely they don't just fling the packages onto trucks with no record of which one got which package.

Best,
PJ

These are my thoughts exactly. There is no possibility that these packages weren't tracked to the last vehicle they were loaded into. There is no possibility that they don't know who the driver of that vehicle was. I think FedEx is just trying to figure out the least damaging spin story to release to the public. I suppose there is the possibility that the packages/truck were stolen, but that wouldn't bode well for them either. No explanation is going to be acceptable to the general public, and I'm sure they know this.

Last edited by Denny B; 11-29-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
While the comments concerning why one shipping company may be used over another are interesting, I'd like to go back to the original story for a moment.

It seems to me that each one of those 300-400 packages can be traced back to the truck it was placed on for delivery, so FedEx surely has their answer right now.

Granted we're talking about a larege number of packages, but we're also talking about a computer system that has the ability to track millions of packages daily.

Why is it we're just being told, and re-told, the same story about the packages being "found in a ravine" but nothing about the investigation? (I just read the exact same story for the third time in a different newspaper)

Seriously, FedEx HAS to have this information. Surely they don't just fling the packages onto trucks with no record of which one got which package.

Best,
PJ
I agree.......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-29-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Fed EX packages found in ravine in AL.

I agree that FedEx already knows the answer to the riddle at this point.
But there is no great way to tell the public that an unscrupulous FedEx contractor(or their employee) dumped hundreds of packages and the company’s tracking systems failed to acknowledge a problem much less pin point it.
It makes FedEx look subpar to put it nicely. A few bad apples can do lots of damage to a company’s image in the this day of world wide internet news coverage. What FedEx ultimately reveals about the situation interests me as well.

Of note, my dealings with FedEx Ground have been consistently and notably bad. I live fairly near the dump sight.

Last edited by TRose; 11-30-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Best,
PJ
Maybe FedEx is only telling those actually effected by the situation. While you may WANT to know what happened nobody (else) has a RIGHT to know any more than they've said already. No need for a consumer to investigate....just avoid this carrier as the worst shipper in the business.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:14 PM

Thumbs up

Yes,
they know what happened and who was involved.
These big companies have “loss prevention” people who are gathering information to assist law enforcement in prosecuting the culprits,
but chances are it will be kept quiet.

We can speculate that it was one driver on one day.
Or it could have been ongoing over different days.
There could be two or more drivers involved.
Perhaps a vehicle was stolen.
Maybe packages were opened and items were stolen.
Could be the parcels were dumped unopened.

Perhaps, maybe, couldabeen...

We aren’t getting any follow-up yet,
and we may never.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
There is little to no accountability and they don't care. FedEx ground is the worst. I have no problems with UPS or USPS but FedEx has about an 80% failure rate in my experience.
I've heard people say the exact same thing about USPS and UPS...
Old 11-29-2021, 01:38 PM

Exclamation

Please indulge me to comment further-

First-
Yes, Street Glider is right.
ALL the carriers have issues.
And we can site anecdotal evidence to build a case for and/or against whoever.
I could, but will not, write about things I saw while I was in the business.
And there are FedEx, UPS and USPS employees who are AGF members who could shed more light on this.

Second-
At this point,
local law enforcement may only be looking at charges of littering. Or maybe theft.
And the company may be looking at violations of company policy and negligence.
Perhaps they are looking for inter-state transportation violations.. or not.
Who knows how much dust they want to stir up?

My point is,
this is not the crime of the century.
And we may have already heard all that is going to be told.

Last edited by woodbox; 11-29-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I've heard people say the exact same thing about USPS and UPS...
Yes.

Actually, I've seen many posts here on AGF saying the exact same thing about USPS and UPS.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

The plot thickens....https://www.aol.com/news/fedex-drive...125942142.html
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I figured they would be talking to any diver/s that can be traced to specific packages.

Seems the possible bad news for the customers could be that if there is going to be any criminal prosecution, then I would guess some or all of the packages would have to held as evidence ?? Which could be a real bummer for the intended recipients .................................................. .......................

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-30-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Maybe this has been stated. I would think that this should have been discovered earlier. The computers should have the information that X amount of deliveries were put on a truck and never delivered. Heeelllooo? Obvious question would be to find out. But, no, someone had to find them in a ditch or something. Poor management.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-30-2021, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Maybe this has been stated. I would think that this should have been discovered earlier. The computers should have the information that X amount of deliveries were put on a truck and never delivered. Heeelllooo? Obvious question would be to find out. But, no, someone had to find them in a ditch or something. Poor management.
Possibility #1 - FedEx tracking system had already detected that the packages in question were MIA and hot on the trail when they were discovered in the remote ditch.

Possibility #2 - FedEx tracking system allows for a "margin of error" as to how long packages can be missing before warning flags and search dogs are involved.

Possibility #3 - FedEx tracking system leaves it up to customers to complain about missing packages.

Possibility #4 - FedEx tracking system is not alerted to 300-400 missing packages in one locale because that's business as usual...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-30-2021, 06:58 PM

Today, FedEx announced that a driver (no longer employed by them) had made a total of 6 dumps of packages into the ravine.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:30 PM

Three pages on this topic and still going strong.

I guess I need to take an outrage pill and jump on board. Otherwise, it’s just “yeah, more crap stuff in the world - next?”.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic