The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-06-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Oregon is a constant disappointment. They always get rated highly till they get crunched near the end of the season. Them seem to be constantly overrated.

sm
….I can’t concur with everything but they have been consistently over rated in recent years…even though they have won two out of the last three pac 12 north titles….as a fan I don’t care near as much about titles as I do about rooting for a team that looks like they’re having fun on the field….they lost that when Chip Kelly left and really haven’t regained it under the three coaches since then….

….im not disappointed in the team this year….just the coaching….in my opinion Cristobal has been over rated and is woefully inadequate as a game day coach…his offensive strategy is stodgy and lacks the kind of inventiveness that gets the players excited….

…..it will be interesting to see who they come up with this time around….Chip is probably not gonna be an option….I just hope it’s someone who brings some joy back to the program….

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-06-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….I can’t concur with everything but they have been consistently over rated in recent years…even though they have won two out of the last three pac 12 titles….as a fan I don’t care near as much about titles as I do about rooting for a team that looks like they’re having fun on the field….they lost that when Chip Kelly left and really haven’t regained it under the three coaches since then….

….im not disappointed in the team this year….just the coaching….in my opinion Cristobal has been over rated and is woefully inadequate as a game day coach…his offensive strategy is stodgy and lacks the kind of inventiveness that gets the players excited….

…..it will be interesting to see who they come up with this time around….Chip is probably not gonna be an option….I just hope it’s someone who brings some joy back to the program….
Good points.

I think one could make a very good case that the Pac-12 has been the weakest of the Power Five conferences in football for at least a decade. As you noted, when Chip Kelly was at Oregon and Pete Carroll was at USC, there was a lot of fun and enjoyment in the conference. Even Stanford rose to prominence as a national power. Now? Splat!

I loved when Chip used to use those big signs on the sidelines to call plays.

I just saw Miami snagged Cristobal. The coaching carousel continues.

I have a sneaking suspicion Lincoln Riley may be at USC to use it as a springboard to the NFL. If he wins a national championship in the next three or four years, we'll see where his head is at.

Take Care,
Scott
Old 12-06-2021, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wouldn't be surprised if Chip went back to Oregon. At UCLA, you will always be the stepchild to the basketball program. It's no secret in this town (or nationally) that SC is a football school and UCLA is a basketball school. Always have been, always will be.

sm
Old 12-07-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Chip went back to Oregon. At UCLA, you will always be the stepchild to the basketball program. It's no secret in this town (or nationally) that SC is a football school and UCLA is a basketball school. Always have been, always will be.

sm
That’s very true, but I’m old enough to remember some years when UCLA was a pretty good football program as well.
Neither SC or UCLA have been elite in that category for a while.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-07-2021, 06:31 AM

We desperately need to expand the number of teams in the CFB playoffs.
Who is to say that Utah isn’t every bit as deserving as several other teams?
This coming from a Buckeye fan.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-07-2021, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
We desperately need to expand the number of teams in the CFB playoffs.

Who is to say that Utah isn’t every bit as deserving as several other teams?

This coming from a Buckeye fan.

I agree we need expansion. But I don’t think it should be 24 teams- which is what I saw somewhere. Seems like 12 teams would be adequate. Top four get a buy first round.

What do ya think?
Old 12-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Top four get a buy first round.
Since the top four teams have usually played (and often won) an extra game (conference championship) a buy in the first round seems reasonable.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-13-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 12-07-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

….I would think that an 8 team playoff would be a great place to start….the 5 power five conference winners would get a slot and three at large spots would round it out….
Old 12-12-2021, 10:40 AM

Bryce Young won the Heisman Trophy last night. No surprise. He's only a sophomore. Thinking he'll play one more year of college before moving on to the NFL.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default College Football 2021

In my opinion, after the game Bryce Young had against Georgia there was very little suspense involved as to who would get that award.

As for expansion, I agree that an 8 team playoff would be fine but I bet the powers that be won’t stop there. Certainly they desire to increase interest in more bowl games by making them more meaningful. That could minimize player opt out, increase ad revenues, etc.,etc.. The more teams and bowls involved the better- remember that the NCAA is a “for profit” organization.

I watched some of the Army-Navy game this past weekend. That was an enjoyable watch. The inadvertent fake punt play was pretty amazing.

Last edited by TRose; 12-13-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, after the game Bryce Young had against Georgia there was very little suspense involved as to who would get that award.

As for expansion, I agree that an 8 team playoff would be fine but I bet the powers that be won’t stop there. Certainly they desire to increase interest in more bowl games by making them more meaningful. That could minimize player opt out, increase ad revenues, etc.,etc.. The more teams and bowls involved the better- remember that the NCAA is a “for profit” organization.

I watched some of the Army-Navy game this past weekend. That was an enjoyable watch. The inadvertent fake punt play was pretty amazing.
I see an 8 team playoff in a couple of years. I wouldn't mind a scenario where the #1 and #2 seeds get a bye.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Semifinals are tomorrow. Any predictions?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Semifinals are tomorrow. Any predictions?

Georgia loses, Alabama wins.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
Georgia loses, Alabama wins.

Alabama is supposed to win. If their best team shows up they will.
The Michigan-Georgia game should be competitive and a fun watch.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Alabama in the first game. I think the second game is a toss-up, but I'll take Michigan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic