The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Just as you're allowed to obsess over response curves of mics you don't plan to buy. You're just an academic then. Got it.
Except of course the difference between my post and yours is, I simply observed if the response is as flat as claimed, it mite be a decent mic for the money , that was it, and yes from an audio engineering standpoint it is an academic observation, and thank you for the compliment . And is still unrelated to any production timeframe, delay, or "Jobsian fanfare" ......... So if the delay bothers you that is totally fine, but your issues with delivery or Slates promo style are not and need not, be tied to my simple observation of specs, which is the point I was making .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-22-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Well, I understand why you wouldn't want to place EQ into the microphone path while training, but why not EQ (if it gets you to a better sound) either the pickup signal or the ToneDexter output?

The second way is essentially what the EQ knobs on the ToneDexter do.
There's a school of thought that adding extra devices (with their additional gain stages) to a signal chain degrades the system's responsiveness to the touch. I haven't seen it discussed on the forum in recent years, but pickup designers Dave Wendler and Rick Turner used to comment on it at one time. As Rick Turner would put it, you need to weigh the benefits of the added device against some small loss in touch responsiveness.

I've been experimenting with adding my Zoom A3 to the ToneDexter signal chain lately, trying to decide whether having a more flexible EQ device in the system is worth the extra bother and some small degradation of the system's touch responsiveness.

Back in the day when I was using an EFX pedal with the slower tunes, I would use a hardwired bypass switch to remove the pedal from the signal chain when I didn't need effects. I took the advice of Mr. Wendler and Mr. Turner very seriously. I still do. I know from personal experience that they both build superb guitars and know a great deal about instrument amplification.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Except of course the difference between my post and yours is, I simply observed if the response is as flat as claimed, it mite be a decent mic for the money , that was it, and yes from an audio engineering standpoint it is an academic observation, and thank you for the compliment . And is still unrelated to any production timeframe, delay, or "Jobsian fanfare" ......... So if the delay bothers you that is totally fine, but your issues with delivery or Slates promo style are not and need not, be tied to my simple observation of specs, which is the point I was making .
I'm terribly sorry for trying to save you from an exasperating situation. My bad. Clearly you are fine with companies that still haven't delivered announced-with-fanfare products a year and a half and counting after the fact. I'm not. Let's leave it at that.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm terribly sorry for trying to save you from an exasperating situation. My bad. Clearly you are fine with companies that still haven't delivered announced-with-fanfare products a year and a half and counting after the fact. I'm not. Let's leave it at that.
Hey honestly I appreciate that you thought you might save me some frustration. I did not think my post indicated I was waiting to purchase, but I can except it an honest misread on your part , so thanks.
For future reference at my age even if interested in something I seldom am I a hurry to spend money . And I usually no longer get frustrated by things beyond my control . And we can certainly leave it that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-23-2018, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
James, Thank you for your response. It's been awhile since I visited the Audio Sprockets web page. Maybe you have updated it, or maybe I just didn't explore the web page thoroughly before, but it is really an EXCELLENT, well laid out, easy to read, very comprehensive web page!! Congratulations and thank you again for inventing the ToneDexter!
Thank you for saying so. It's a recent overhaul. We're glad you find it helpful and easy to use. We plan on adding material often, especially tech support and pickup knowledge.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-23-2018, 12:20 PM

I put a little eq into the Tonedexter signal at the mixer, just because the amplifier sounds a little different than the headsets I set up the wavemap with, which is not terribly surprising. Just a touch.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I put a little eq into the Tonedexter signal at the mixer, just because the amplifier sounds a little different than the headsets I set up the wavemap with, which is not terribly surprising. Just a touch.
There's no downside to using the mixer's EQ (presuming its adjustable enough to do the desired job), since the mixer has to be in the signal chain anyway.

My Mackie mixer's basic three band EQ, however, isn't nearly as fine-tuneable as the Zoom A3's EQ options. I can put a six band graphic EQ and a two band parametric EQ in series for some fairly precise EQ control. Beyond those two EQs, the A3 also has a basic three band EQ for "quick and dirty" adjustments from the stage. The question for me will be whether or not that extra EQ control will be worth having an additional device between my hands and the PA speakers.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM

It is possible to over think (and overhear) these things, I think. My starting point is what the K&K sounds like naked and untreated. The Tonedexter takes me so far in the right direction that my mixer (also a Mackie) seems to be the little eq dressing that it needs. But its true, you could massage it further and further.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-18-2018, 05:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've been told by Slate that the ML-2 mic is at last shipping. Yay!
James May Engineering
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Along with the interface to end all interfaces?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, James.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Along with the interface to end all interfaces?
Perhaps, perhaps not, but that is beyond the scope of our interest in the ML-2 mic.

I will say that Slate modeling technology is very good IMHO, so if you are a recording type, the modeling SW that comes with the ML-2 is a bonus. But we are recommending the mic for what it is as a piece of HW: a very flat pencil mic that is economical and works great with ToneDexter.
James May Engineering

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification