The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-01-2018, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher's Studio 2018

Happy New Year!

Time to start a new studio thread. This year you will see that I am continuing my commitment to more sustainable woods. I am enjoying the treasure hunt finding extraordinary local and domestic woods and I am asking the hard questions about the source and sustainability of any exotics I purchase.

I've made an investment in equipment to do my own re-saw work which enables me to have complete control making the best cuts in the best billets I can find.

Here is an example to start the year off;

After tuning up my new 22" 5hp band saw and working the bugs out of my re-saw milling sled I am ready to start biting into the good stuff. Here's a picture of me working the set up:

Here are several billets of spalted, quilted, Western Big Leaf Maple. They're thin but, there's enough for two back and side sets if I don't mess up!

I didn't mess up Here are a couple pictures of what the wood looks like dry;

It would look great with Bloodwood trim;

Another advantage of cutting my own sets is I get the cutoffs for rosettes, headstocks, etc. without worrying about matching colors!

So this is the first of many more I have in the works. Wait until you see what I have in store. I intend to really expand your concept of what domestic wood can be!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 01-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Wink

The figure in that maple is fabulous, but isn't it even harder to find maple that dark? That's the darkest big leaf maple I've seen! To my eye, white maple or myrtle would make a good trim.
Steve
Old 01-01-2018, 04:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
The figure in that maple is fabulous, but isn't it even harder to find maple that dark? That's the darkest big leaf maple I've seen! To my eye, white maple or myrtle would make a good trim.
Steve
Thanks for commenting Steve,

I see you’re from Oregon, that’s where this wood came from. It’s the spalting that has made the wood darker. Spalting can be tricky because if there is too much it can weaken the wood or rob the tone. Fortunately, there is a little room in there where the colors change without effecting the stiffness and tone.

Happy New Year!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 01-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

That maple looks incredible, Mark!

Great post to start of the new year!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Happy New Year!

Time to start a new studio thread. This year you will see that I am continuing my commitment to more sustainable woods. I am enjoying the treasure hunt finding extraordinary local and domestic woods and I am asking the hard questions about the source and sustainability of any exotics I purchase.

I've made an investment in equipment to do my own re-saw work which enables me to have complete control making the best cuts in the best billets I can find.

Here is an example to start the year off;

After tuning up my new 22" 5hp band saw and working the bugs out of my re-saw milling sled I am ready to start biting into the good stuff. Here's a picture of me working the set up:

Here are several billets of spalted, quilted, Western Big Leaf Maple. They're thin but, there's enough for two back and side sets if I don't mess up!

I didn't mess up Here are a couple pictures of what the wood looks like dry;

It would look great with Bloodwood trim;

Another advantage of cutting my own sets is I get the cutoffs for rosettes, headstocks, etc. without worrying about matching colors!

So this is the first of many more I have in the works. Wait until you see what I have in store. I intend to really expand your concept of what domestic wood can be!
ye bastage! I was scoping that piece on Nwtimber awhile ago, and then it disappeared, now I know where it went! well at least we know it's in good hands
Old 01-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous looking stuff Mark!
Old 01-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wowzers!!!

Now that is some yummy Maple!!! Unreal figure. My wife is a Maple junkie. We have a bunch of beautiful furniture in flamed and tiger Maple. She freaked when I just showed her this!
Be sure to use LOTS OF HEARING PROTECTION!

WHAT? I Know you treasure your ears!

This will be fun to follow!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-01-2018, 11:00 PM

That's one heckuva maple set there, Mark! Lovely figuring and coloration. It's also great to see a glimpse of you once in a while; nice to tie a face in with a builder.

Also, that's one crazy bandsaw setup! I'm trying to figure out if/how you index that thing for consecutive slices?!
Old 01-02-2018, 03:50 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Excellent character in that Maple. Nice find! And Happy New Year’s Mark!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Now that is some yummy Maple!!! Unreal figure. My wife is a Maple junkie. We have a bunch of beautiful furniture in flamed and tiger Maple. She freaked when I just showed her this!
Be sure to use LOTS OF HEARING PROTECTION!

WHAT? I Know you treasure your ears!

This will be fun to follow!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul,

It is amazing how much variation there is in a given species of wood. That really adds to the sense of being on a treasure hunt!
Thanks for the hearing protection tip! I’m actually very concienentious about protecting my hearing, it’s important to have good hearing doing what I do and especially when voicing guitars the way I do. You’ll notice the saw isn’t running in that picture. It’s pretty hard to take a candid picture when you’re a one man shop . The picture was just to give a scale of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
That maple looks incredible, Mark!

Great post to start of the new year!
Thanks Nemoman and happy new year to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
ye bastage! I was scoping that piece on Nwtimber awhile ago, and then it disappeared, now I know where it went! well at least we know it's in good hands
Gotta be quick! Thanks! Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Gorgeous looking stuff Mark!
Thanks David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Excellent character in that Maple. Nice find! And Happy New Year’s Mark!
Thanks cigarfan and happy new year to you too!

Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
That's one heckuva maple set there, Mark! Lovely figuring and coloration. It's also great to see a glimpse of you once in a while; nice to tie a face in with a builder.

Also, that's one crazy bandsaw setup! I'm trying to figure out if/how you index that thing for consecutive slices?!
Thanks Louie!

I’ve been trying to work out a good re-saw setup for awhile now. After a lot of fooling around I’m finally sartisfied. Part of the fooling around was adding an index for consistent cuts without using a fence. You don’t see it in the photo but, I added an easily adjustable vertical bumper a little before the blade that is working out wonderfully.

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

Old 01-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Very impressed with that setup.

My New Year's resolution is not to be lured in by Mark's amazing pictures of woods and guitars in process.....must be strong, must resist temptation......

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Very impressed with that setup.

My New Year's resolution is not to be lured in by Mark's amazing pictures of woods and guitars in process.....must be strong, must resist temptation......
Thanks! I've been working on a reliable set up for months now. You'll know I've gained complete confidence when I start cutting up my big Koa billets and that 100lb Black Ebony log! Uh and there will be lot's of pictures when that happens-nice pictures

Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 PM

Looks like Jupiter's eye.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Road Trip!

So I've been cooped up in below zero temps for a week up here in New Hampshire. Time for a road trip. Car's got heat. I got word on New Year's day there was a new source for some prime aged Honduran Mahogany for neck stock within days ride and I went for it yesterday. I left in the -11 degree black morning and headed east over the mountain to greet the sunrise. An hour and a half later with the sun in my eyes I reached the ocean and turned North for the beautiful frozen Mid Maine Coast.

In 1987 a very large quantity of this Long Leaf Mahogany was imported for a large job. They were matching colors and the rarer darker pieces were put aside maybe 350 board feet in all were left in dry storage. Now 30 years later they are making them available and I am the first one there!

This is the genuine Mahogany people say you can't get anymore and if you did you would have to wait 30 years for it to be what this stuff is. I drove by the Lee Neilson factory and showroom on the way there and luckily didn't realize what I was looking at when it went by.

I made my selection and got to try to catch up with the sun before it set on the way home. So here is what I got, this first board is 4 inches thick by 12 inches wide and six feet long:

That's enough for me to get 18 necks of American Mahogany:

I also bought a small two neck blank from another board. I'll say I was over budget but, I am not ashamed to say the this board was a bit scary. It has a dark color which is nice and it is hard as rock and really heavy. When I measured and weighed it at home it comes up to 44lbs per cubic foot. Big Leaf Mahogany normally come in at 37lbs. That is a huge difference!

These Swietenia Macrophylla boards are gorgeous and the chatoyance when wet just sparkles:

It occurred to me today that I am going to hold the two dark neck for "Tree" guitars as they'll be great matches. The other 18 will be for higher end specs or upcharges on customs because they are premium wood that came at a premium.

Finally here's the question: How many different common names did I use for the same species of wood?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop