The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Hi all! Thanks for the comments! A couple of specific responses below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Gorgeous, with exceptional sets of wood. The Adi top is magnificent! Congratulations. What’s the wait for Circa these days?
Haasome, yeah, the top is great. I think it's classified as 'retirement grade' adi. John was pretty darn impressed with the top and I definitely think that contributed to the amazing qualities of the guitar.

I believe the wait time is ~3-3.5 years. Worth the wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Great, now I'm gonna have to go get a Maple Slobod....!!!
Yes! You would be cheating yourself if you didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I played your guitar at the Artisan Guitar Show and very much enjoyed it. Congratulations...
Haha! John really wanted to hold it for a couple more weeks to showcase it at the Artisan Guitar Show and I figure that would be a great way (but agonizing way ) to support him. I'm glad that others had a chance to play it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Played a 000-12 in maple that left me speechless. I’ll be starting a build thread pretty soon for it’s close cousin. That guitar looks stunning. Congratulations!
I don't have to tell you that you'll be in for a treat! I look forward to following that build thread and hearing your reactions when it is complete. I believe John wants to build more maple, so I'm trying to get the word out and evangelize (even more) his wizardry with that tonewood. I'd be curious if you'll go with his usual German Spruce/Maple combo or if you'll head down my path of Adi/Maple. I figure you can't go wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxnply View Post
Congrats, that maple looks killer. I was close to going maple with my recent German/madi Circa OM so now I just have to may get another. My Circa continues to blow my mind.
German/Madi is such a good combo and the combination of John's magic must make it incredible. I'd suggest you to get another Circa, but I'm afraid your wife is going to put a hit on me if I do so...
Old 05-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Blonde, Blondie, Blondie! Awesome looking. Wish I could trust Maple but just haven’t had any luck. Those I’ve owned have recorded nicely but didn’t have the performing characteristics I needed.

Anyway Congrats!!! Play it in good health.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:56 PM

What a deep insight to ask him to build it as if it were going to be his guitar. Allows him to take things where he wants them to go, and probably realizes the fullest potential of the build. If I ever get another guitar made, I may do the same ...
Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I’ll probably opt for German spruce since that was on the 000-12 I fell for. Although I love adi, I don’t want to rock the boat.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Mmmm...maple.

Very beautiful!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 05-07-2018, 01:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

WoW! Congrats! My000-12 is on his new batch and so tempting to change the spec~ HaHa may be next time though... I’ve been a big fan of his maple guitars. I haven’t heard any Adi/Maple Circa sound samples yet. Any chance working on sound samples?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
I know there are a lot of John Slobod fanboys here, so I thought I would share the latest horse that arrived to my stable a few weeks back...

It's an adi/maple OM. I asked John to voice it / build it as if it would be his guitar. I asked for veto power on cosmetic appointments but with a leaning towards his classy understated elegance.

I normally don't like commissioning new guitars anymore, because you just never know. I was a little nervous about what I was getting, but what I can say now is that this guitar has completely exceeded all of my expectations.

The neck...as with my other Circa, fits me perfectly. Not too chunky, not too thin. It really is in my Goldilocks zone. And.......it's been a couple of weeks now, but my knees still get weak looking at the flame in the neck (and the back!).

The bass is delightful for a new guitar. Most adi guitars out of the gate are tight as heck. While there are hints of tightness, it already has a nice bloom and growl that is intoxicating. The mids are clear and warm. The trebles have a bite to it. I expect this to mellow out and round out over time.

The projection is amazing. It already has a certain degree of 'authority' to it. The guitar takes a pick really well, but is also crazy responsive to my finger picking. All I know is if the guitar sounds this amazing out of the gate, I'm giddy about how it's going to open up over time!

I had always been intrigued by the legendary German/Maple 00 Circa that Al Petteway played before upgrading to a 000. I went with Adi and have zero regrets. On John's Facebook page he comments that his usual German topped maple gits are a little sweeter and this one had a stronger low end fundamental. He was really pleased with the killer combo of fast response and ton of headroom on this little guy.

People who claim maple is thin and brittle need to play a maple guitar made by John Slobod. All my other guitars are rosewood backed, so this offers me a nice new dimension.

If you were considering a Circa, definitely keep maple in mind!

Now if you excuse me, I have a guitar to bond with...

John posted those pics on Facebook, I didn't know you were the happy owner! Honestly it's one of the most elegant and beautiful maple guitar I've seen, and I'm pretty sure it sounds incredible! Maple can be such a wonderful tonewood IMO even if it's often underrated. Honestly it's a real canon, the rosace, binding, and tuners are beautiful also, may I ask how much he charges for such a beauty? (if indiscreet you may pm me)
Anyway congratulations, this is really fueling my GAS !
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 05-22-2018, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

I also played this one at the Artisan show. The highest praise I can give it is that it's as good as mine is.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

When a buddy of mine would see a particularly beautiful blonde maple guitar he'd say "Now there's a blonde that could make a bishop kick over a gravestone!" ... very applicable in this case.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:17 PM

My God. What a beautiful guitar!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Maple Goodness

Amazing looking guitar. Congratulations!

I do believe that Stuart Ryan has been recently playing a Circa 000 12 maple back as his main guitar. You should check it out for added sound samples.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 11-29-2018, 01:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

How is this OM developing these days? One of my clients is working on the final decision. Originally He was going to go with a Straight grain Cocobolo OM with 28-style. Since he has 2BRW and 1 EIRW guitar so he now wants something different. Have you recorded any sound samples?
Old 11-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

FF, what scale length is this? 24.9"?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
How is this OM developing these days? One of my clients is working on the final decision. Originally He was going to go with a Straight grain Cocobolo OM with 28-style. Since he has 2BRW and 1 EIRW guitar so he now wants something different. Have you recorded any sound samples?
He just decided to go with the Adi/Maple OM28 with Maple neck!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
He just decided to go with the Adi/Maple OM28 with Maple neck!
Yo! Sorry for not responding earlier. I don't have any sound clips that would do this guitar any justice. I'm happy to hear that your client with the Adi/Maple combo! I love the fact they went with a maple neck too! I know a lot of John's maple guitars are topped with German, but I really dig the Adi pairing. It's got a nice rumble and growl. John loves working with maple and you can definitely hear it. I'm super, super confident your client's OM28 is gonna rock!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop