The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge - Demo video

I had the opportunity to Demo a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge today at Guitar Center. It was a deceptively quiet afternoon so I made a quick video.

I brought my personal Martin D-18 (2015 model) with LR Bags Anthem PU. Superb guitar and pickup. I am very familiar with how it sounds and what its capable of.

I briefly tried a Bose S1 Pro. In short I did not like the Bose at all. For perspective however I gig with a Bose L1 Compact, so I expected to like the S1. This was not the case.

Back to the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. Short story; If they would have had a new one in the box, I would have bought it on the spot. Instead I will order or wait for a new one. Yeah I LIKED it a lot.

I did not sing through either the Fishman or the Bose. My main Goal was to assess the natural acoustic guitar tone. I tried it both plugged into AC Power and on the battery power. I could not discern any change in voicing or performance whether plugged into AC power or running on its battery.

The Fishman LBM Charge was very impressive. I was surprised at the volume and the richness of the low end from such a small amp. I felt I could gig with this in an appropriate sized space.

Brief Bose S1 comments;
Aside from the Bose S1 not achieving anywhere near as a natural acoustic guitar tone as the Fishman LBM Charge, the Bose S1 Pro presented some challenges that I found awkward;

I.E. the Vol, bass and treble controls are hard to reach and its hard to see where your settings are without moving the unit to look behind it. I did not have it on a stand. That would have been easier. My needs however would mostly be using it on the floor or at chair/table height.

I will be buying one. There is a rebate that offers the padded case with purchase right now too.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 05-20-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Glad you liked the Mini Charge. It’s alwaysgood to get to audition potential gear side by side! I wish I had done that and avoided the hassle of returning my S1 but everything worked out in the end. I’ve really been enjoying my charge and I hope you will as well. Now I just have to decide what pickup to put in my new Larrivée I’m picking up next week ... it’s a thankless job but someone has to do it
Old 05-21-2018, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Wow - that really does sound great! Thanks for taking the time to make the short demo in the store. Once you get one and run it through its paces, make a longer one with vocals at home and (if possible) at a gig.

With regard to the Bose, I was surprised you did not like it considering your affection for the L1. As a big fan and prolific poster here of the S1 I will agree with your comments about the location of the dials being not located in an easy to access/see place.

The one upside is that once you're used to it where they are and what little they do, it's very easy to make adjustments without needing to see them. There is only volume, treble, and bass dials plus the ToneMatch switches for two channels (volume for the third Aux/BT).

Making adjustments on the fly live is fast and easy without needing to see but I completely agree the first few times I used the unit I found it annoying that I had to turn it around to see them.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:55 AM

Is that a $170 premium on top of the standard LB sell price ($500)? or did I glance at the wrong comparable model? And $99 for the padded case?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the videos, great playing too!
Have you had a go at the Boss Acoustic Singer series?
If so, how would you compare them?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-21-2018, 07:43 AM

Sounds good. A phone recording? Assuming yes, I am curious, how far was your guitar from the phone when you did this recording?

I had a Mini and while it didn't work for my live application, it sounded good as long as I didn't push it hard. One of the best bargains around. This looks like it will raise the bar further in the area of battery powered rigs.

Thanks

hunter
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Nice playing, and a good review.

I have been using an LBM for about 5 years, in conjunction with my Bose L1C. I have been very pleased with that combination. I recently had to send the powerhead of the LBM in for repair, and bought an S1. Just like some folks like Martin, some like Taylor, and some of us like carbon fiber, my views on the LMB (not the Charge model, but assuming there are no differences other than the addition of a battery) vs S1 favored the Bose. Sound wise, they are pretty close - the LBM is a bit warmer, the S1 a bit crisper; but both do an admirable job, especially considering their compact size. The guitar was easy to dial in on either and both sounded good. The LBM has chorus, the Bose doesn't. The Bose has a ToneMatch EQ switch (none/guitar/mic) and combo jack on both channels, the LBM doesn't. I prefer the vocal on the S1.

Looks like Fishman has put a more substantial tolex on the Charge (a definite upgrade from the original LBM). For a small combo amp in this size and price range, either of these can do the job.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:40 AM

I've got a Loudbox Performer, but I am seriously considering selling it and getting the charge. The ability to plug in far away from an outlet is pretty compelling, and these days, I'm not playing for crowds outdoors the size I was in previous years, so the 180 watts is overkill.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Here are a few comments / answers.

1. When I made the recordings my Martin was turned away from the iPhone I recorded this on as I wanted to capture the 'amplified' sound. For what its worth, when I listened back later, the recording was very indicative of the sound I heard in the room. I also had the amp volume loud enough to make sure it was the primary sound on the recording.

2. The LB Mini Charge was sitting on top of a Fishman Loudbox Artist. I did try the Artist. The Artist was brighter and had more treble overall, but I also heard a somewhat unnatural tonality. I probably should have played around with the Tweeter attenuator. That might have tamed the metallic sound. The Artist was about $75 more than the "Mini Charge", and the Artist also includes dual combo jacks, midrange on the second channel and Notch filtering. That said, I use a Bose L1 Compact for my bigger gigs. The purpose of the Mini Charge is for home, very small venue's and occassional wedding ceremonies where I can play without AC Power. So its not entirely fair to compare a Bigger amp to the Mini Charge. (Other than to gain a frame of reference) In this regard, the Mini Charge was still very impressive, warmer and maybe even easier to get a good natural 'acoustic guitar tone'.

3. I did not sing through it and that might be its downfall in comparison to the Bose S1 or to other amps.

4. the Fishman heavy carry bag ($99) is included free through the end of May ...and most places have a Memorial Day 15% discount going on right now!

5. Yes, the tolex on the Mini Charge is a lot more sturdy and looks to be standard heavy textured, cocoa brown colored tolex. I love it!

6. Yes I briefly tried a Boss Acoustic singer (the 60W $499 model) I preferred the sound of the Mini Charge by quite a lot. again, these other amps might be better for Vocals, so if you're looking to sing and play, the Mini Charge may or may not be your favorite. (To be determined) But again, that is not my primary focus.

7. Given my love and familiarity and weekly gigging with the Bose L1 Compact, I expected to like the Bose S1. But in the same room was a Bose L1C and the S1 sounds nothing like it (IMO). FYI - I felt the Tonematch setting on the S1 sounded a lot better. But with only bass and treble, I could only get my Martin D-18 to sound half as good as the Fishman Mini Charge. The Bose S1 did not sound anywhere near as 'acoustic'. It was unnatural to my ears no matter how I turned the dials (Tonematch setting or otherwise)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Love my Fishman Mini and Performer amps!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
1. When I made the recordings my Martin was turned away from the iPhone I recorded this on as I wanted to capture the 'amplified' sound. For what its worth, when I listened back later, the recording was very indicative of the sound I heard in the room. I also had the amp volume loud enough to make sure it was the primary sound on the recording.
Yes, you get why I was asking. Two comments. Unless the amp was up *very* loud, the sound you heard in the room was likely influenced by the acoustic sound of your guitar. As I have said before, if you test in a controlled fashion, you'll be amazed how loud the amp has to be to completely bury the effect of the acoustic sound. And second, even turned away, sound leakage from the acoustic is likely and is probably exerting influence on the recording. Especially in a Guitar Center type acoustic room which tends toward lively and where acoustic vibrations are radiating from all the instruments in the room.

Having said all that, the amp character is clearly present and the demo does shed light on the sound of the amp. And I am glad to hear they are upgrading the cover. My Mini shed the covering if you looked at it wrong.

Thanks

hunter
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Yes, you get why I was asking. Two comments. Unless the amp was up *very* loud, the sound you heard in the room was likely influenced by the acoustic sound of your guitar. As I have said before, if you test in a controlled fashion, you'll be amazed how loud the amp has to be to completely bury the effect of the acoustic sound. And second, even turned away, sound leakage from the acoustic is likely and is probably exerting influence on the recording. Especially in a Guitar Center type acoustic room which tends toward lively and where acoustic vibrations are radiating from all the instruments in the room.

Having said all that, the amp character is clearly present and the demo does shed light on the sound of the amp.

Thanks

hunter
Hunter, Yes. I totally agree on every count! I knew I needed to overcome the natural acoustic sound and volume of my guitar which was present in this small-ish acoustic room at GC. Any guitar sounds loud without amplification in that room. I alos played with a light touch to try and minimize natural acoustic guitar volume in the room. All the guitars on the wall were ringing & creating their own resonant reverb to a small extent as well. Certainly not a controlled environment, but I felt the phone was close enough to the amp (on-axis) to give a pretty good idea of what it sounds like.

I will be ordering a LB Mini Charge today (with free carry bag, normally $99). I know my amplified acoustic guitar sound and non amplified acoustic sound very well. (Martin D-18 w/Baggs Anthem) I also know what its capable of through other amplified systems like a PA (QSC K8's and K12's), Bose L1 Compact and Turbosound IP1000.

The Loudbox Mini Charge is clearly capable of delivering a very musical, natural sound (In my opinion and experience).

(Once I get the Mini Charge at home, I will make a recording in a much dryer space without room reflections as best I can. I fully expect the LB Mini Charge is going to be a winner. It's not cheap, but it brings a lot of value to the equation in addition to operating on Battery. I'll bet it will be incredible with my Bose L1 Compact if I ever want personal acoustic guitar monitoring.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification