The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2021, 03:00 PM

Note that John Mayer, plays an undersaddle pickup. You can tap while making the IR. It should not make any problem.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-22-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The IR can not create what the sensor does not sens.

If you use body percussion tone, you will need a soundboard transducer pickup or an internal mic.

An undersaddle pickup + IR can not convey body tapping....
Makes total sense. Same thing I was experiencing years ago with the undersaddle only pickup.

My Band!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:59 PM

I got some great IRs from Jon and Cuki. I’m trying to use them in the HX Stomp.

Anybody know the following?

a) how many dB on the IR signal? It defaults at like -17 or something, which I thought was weird.

b) what % of IR do you use?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:02 PM

Tried to set it up tonight. Lots and lots of feedback using the stomp, an IR and a K&K pure mini. [emoji20]
Old 03-26-2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Tried to set it up tonight. Lots and lots of feedback using the stomp, an IR and a K&K pure mini. [emoji20]
1) The IR that are made with Jon's algortihm or my former algorithm (non match files) are feedback prone. They include the main mode resonance around 100-200Hz. So that is normal. You must learn how to use the stomp and or use a more balance IR (match files)

2) Cure n°1: Use a High pass filter and set it at 200Hz. Then decrease/increase the frequency depending on feedback/tone/loudness compromise you want to reach. Once you get it. Use EQ and decrease some treble to achieve tone balance in case too much low end was removed.

3) Cure n°2: If you have more experienced in EQ.... which does not seem to be the case. Check the png and jpg image Jon and I sent you that are related to the guitar your are EQing. There is a big boost at a low frequency. Maybe you will need to learn how to read a spectrum in log frequency scale... once you have read the frequency from the image. Use a parametric EQ and cut 6 to 9dB at that frequency. Increase the Q-factor to make a sharper cut but not too much (you would hear the feedback howling again).

4) Cure n°3: buy a Tonedexter or a Voiceprint DI and enjoy all the automated features.

I started that whole DIY IR thing years ago here on the AGF and I realize sometimes it bring more frustration that answers...

There are three types of people in the amplification subforum:

a) People who don't over obsess about their tone and are ready to compromise. They eventually find a solution to their taste, amplification need (with or without IRs). I would say the «Dazzo» guys usually are among them.

b) The Obsessed people who look for an impossible holly grail such as «my guitar only louder, but with natural woody organic tone, feel, instantaneous response, giant bass response, no feedback, larger than life tone...» in one. Most of those people, don't know actually what they want. Many don't know about frequencies, spectrum, phase... So they have a very long journey of trial & error and frustration ahead of them.... usually they don't know that they will never reach their dream... they will just learn to compromise... and it is a costly lesson to learn. In that category, some people are eager to learn some don't. They will have to.... eventually going along their journey in pickup amplification.

c) The last category is the geeks. People like Jon and I who don't even actually use IR but are happy to read books just to know how it works.

From the thousands of posts I read through the years... I would say the happiest people are in the a) category.

One day, all the knowledgeable people here should gather and made a true website (with videos, sound sample...) that explains Everything.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 03-26-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
By the way Kevin, the end of my last post was not about you.

It is just that Aaron Short wrote me the exact same message back in 2014-15, I can't remember well the exact year... So I felt kind of tired reading that you had the exact same question althought I felt like having answered it so many times.

Year ago I was already struggling to explain the exact same thing. At this time, he did not try to understand and just threw away the IR thing in an hour. It took him years to come back to Tonedexter and then to my IR files... Now he is posting videos and interviews about the subject on his channel.

Aaron said on his channel 2020 is the year of IR. And by the end of the year, he ended up by using the Trance audio amulet without and be very happy....

My point is: The right question are

«what do I need?» and «how loud do I play?»

When you listen to acoustic amplified music: What do you hear from the guitar? What is the function of that sound in the music?

If your music is rock band driven music with just one guy with a dread strumming few cowboy chords, all you need a magnetic pickup.

If you are a fingerstyle concertist solo artist playing in a small venue, you will probably need a dual source with an internal mic.

If you are not gigging and have your own music room, you might just need a nice mic in front of your guitar and a pair of studio monitors.

To come back to you Kevin: From the few messages we have exchanged I kind of feel you have a long journey in front of you...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 03-26-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:30 AM

just chiming in here to say - I am super happy with the IR generated by this algo - thanks for creating it fellas!

Got the recordings dome months ago, finally just yesterday got the IRs loaded into my Fractal FM3. It sounds pretty magical to my ears with the one guitar I tried it with. (alvarez parlor with a baggs anthem PU). The FM3 has no mix feature for IRs, but I added a parallel direct path and can mix that way. In the end I found that I preferred 100% wet through the IR, and that held for fingerstyle and strumming.

Looking forward to my acoustic church gigs more than ever this weekend!

My Band!
Old 07-17-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
just chiming in here to say - I am super happy with the IR generated by this algo - thanks for creating it fellas!
You are welcome!
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-18-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
1)

There are three types of people in the amplification subforum:

a) People who don't over obsess about their tone and are ready to compromise. They eventually find a solution to their taste, amplification need (with or without IRs). I would say the «Dazzo» guys usually are among them.

b) The Obsessed people who look for an impossible holly grail such as «my guitar only louder, but with natural woody organic tone, feel, instantaneous response, giant bass response, no feedback, larger than life tone...» in one. Most of those people, don't know actually what they want. Many don't know about frequencies, spectrum, phase... So they have a very long journey of trial & error and frustration ahead of them.... usually they don't know that they will never reach their dream... they will just learn to compromise... and it is a costly lesson to learn. In that category, some people are eager to learn some don't. They will have to.... eventually going along their journey in pickup amplification.

c) The last category is the geeks. People like Jon and I who don't even actually use IR but are happy to read books just to know how it works.

From the thousands of posts I read through the years... I would say the happiest people are in the a) category.

One day, all the knowledgeable people here should gather and made a true website (with videos, sound sample...) that explains Everything.
Very interesting Cuki. I suppose you are right about the 3 types of people. I guess I fall into A)? I've done quite a bit of experimenting, but I've never been under the illusion that I was going to get "my guitar, only louder". I mean, I add reverb because I like how it sounds for what I do. My guitar, in my room, doesn't have reverb until I plug it in. Every PA or amp I've ever plugged into has a sound - they all sound different. Heck, even for recording, all mics have a sound. EQ's and preamps have a sound. IR's don't even attempt to sound like my guitar, they attempt to sound like my guitar miced. I don't think there is such a thing as "my guitar, only louder".

I'm really happy with my setup now. Dazzo 70's and Sunnaudio mic going into the Sunnaudio MS-2 preamp. I'm a solo fingerstyle guy, so I don't need band volumes. I'll probably experiment with IR's at some point, but my current rig sounds great going through my Bose S1 Pro. It doesn't sound like my guitar, only louder, but it's a great sound and I get compliments on it all the time. Should I be chasing a more "perfect" system? I dunno. Maybe, but I know, in the back of my head, spending that time practicing would be a much better investment.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post

Got the recordings dome months ago, finally just yesterday got the IRs loaded into my Fractal FM3. It sounds pretty magical to my ears with the one guitar I tried it with. (alvarez parlor with a baggs anthem PU). The FM3 has no mix feature for IRs, but I added a parallel direct path and can mix that way. In the end I found that I preferred 100% wet through the IR, and that held for fingerstyle and strumming.

Looking forward to my acoustic church gigs more than ever this weekend!
In the last 18 months of supporting my script I've updated the instructions hopefully to be simpler... The link below takes you to my script's instructions on Cuki's website.
  1. I've concluded open position strumming is as good as anything if not the best training recording.
  2. Mic selection is not important. Any decent vocal mic with the pop filter removed is 95% of what can be achieved.
  3. Two recordings, one 8" from the neck/body joint (IR for your living room, small venues, and low volumes), and a second one 16" out (for larger higher volume usage), is a good plan.
If you are having any problems running my script just email me your recordings, pickup left, mic right, roughly the same volume for both, no clipping, at least 60 seconds, and I'll be happy to run the script for you. It only takes seconds.

If you have any technical questions or general questions, email me and you will get an answer to the best of my ability!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-19-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:00 AM

Wow. What a great thread and endeavour!

Thank you for doing all this @jonfields45 and @Cuki79

I'm just starting out with an electro-acoustic ukulele and was reading about (and thinking of buying) the Xvive Mike pedal when I stumbled on this thread.

I can get the Mike for about $40 and I thought/hoped there might be an IR in there that would work for my uke.

Is that wishful thinking? What's the lowest cost entry into custom IRs?
Old 10-03-2021, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GF- View Post
What's the lowest cost entry into custom IRs?
If you already have a microphone and a 2-channel audio interface (ex: presonus or focusrire), then I would say the entry is the NUX mini studio (NSS-3). You can find second hand for $65 or less.

Check reverb price history:
https://reverb.com/p/nux-nss-3-mini-studio

List of IR pedal
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique10
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-03-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
If you already have a microphone and a 2-channel audio interface (ex: presonus or focusrire), then I would say the entry is the NUX mini studio (NSS-3). You can find second hand for $65 or less.

Check reverb price history:
https://reverb.com/p/nux-nss-3-mini-studio

List of IR pedal
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique10
Ah, OK. That looks like it does exactly what I was thinking of buying the Mike to do - give me a few presets to experiment with - but with the added benefit if being able to also load custom IRs... Sounds perfect. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GF- View Post
Ah, OK. That looks like it does exactly what I was thinking of buying the Mike to do - give me a few presets to experiment with - but with the added benefit if being able to also load custom IRs... Sounds perfect. Thanks.
The mini studio does not have « acoustic » presets. Those are cab IR for electric guitar.

But here are plenty of IR to try on the web including my website database…. However few uke.

Note that if you have an audio interface you don’t need to buy anything to try.

http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique16

I would try that first.

Do you have an audio interface and a microphone?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-03-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
The mini studio does not have « acoustic » presets. Those are cab IR for electric guitar.

But here are plenty of IR to try on the web including my website database…. However few uke.

Note that if you have an audio interface you don’t need to buy anything to try.

http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique16

I would try that first.

Do you have an audio interface and a microphone?
I don't, unfortunately.

I had hoped I could find some IRs I could load onto a pedal

Have you seen the Xvive Mike pedal I mentioned? It appears to have 9 preset acoustic IRs you can select. I wonder how they match up with the stuff in your database?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification