The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM

Default Electric Guitar Strings on a Classical Guitar???

Yes, I know you're not supposed to use steel strings on a classical (nylon string type) guitar, but that is because acoustic steel strings are typically tuned at about DOUBLE the tension of nylon strings. This could easily damage the lighter constructed classical guitar.

BUT, the difference in tension between nylon strings and electic guitar strings is very small. For example, the treble E string on a classical (nylon) guitar is generally tuned to about 15 pounds tension while the treble E string on an electic guitar is typically tuned to about 16 pounds. Not much difference there at all!

So, why wouldn't the steel strings intended for an electric guitar work on a guitar intended for nylon strings?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Why would you want to do this?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM

One could then mount a pickup on a classic guitar, and send the output to guitar effects or even a synth....?

(I have a set of John Pearse Folk/Fingerpicking strings sitting on my desk, but I'm still trying to decide if I want to test them on my classic..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninmass View Post
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Technically, it could work, but in practicality, I don't think that it would work very well.

First -- assuming a traditional classical guitar construction -- you would have to find a good way to secure the steel strings at the "classical" bridge. Secondly, I suspect that the steel strings may be a bit hard on the softer plastic of the classical tuners. If the tension between the classical strings and the (steel-string) electric strings really are close, then probably the neck will be fine.

Then there is the issue of sound. I have never done this myself, but I rather suspect that the sound of such an arrangement might be pretty lacking.

I don't really see an up-side.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM

It works OK. It's not so much electric guitar strings but the gauge of the strings that counts. A set of standard 9 gauge electric strings will exert about the same tension as a nylon set. If you go higher than 9's you might have some problems.

Also - watch out the trebles don't cut into the plastic tuner cylinders.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninmass View Post
Unhappy with the dull sound of the nylon treble strings. I've tried 2 or 3 different kinds of nylon strings and they all sound about the same so far.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM

How's your nails and right hand technique?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
How's your nails and right hand technique?
I mostly use a pick. I'm not a fingerstyle player. I've tried fingerstyle, but first of all the sound I get from using my fingers is terrible (no nails to speak of). Secondly, I find it extremely difficult to get all my digits moving in different directions at the same time.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM

I finally replaced my nylon strings with Pearse Folk Fingerpicking strings on my Flamenca Negra, and they do exactly as they are advertised.... they give a "steel" string feel to my (Flamenco) guitar, while retaining much of the feel of the nylon strings (kind of like additional sustain, similar to a hint of spring reverb). Technique feels slightly different, but not so much as to make a huge difference....

Don't know if I'll string up any of my other guitars, but it is fun to fool around with on one of them, at least for now......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical