The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Boss GE-7 Equalizer Pedal - Some Questions

Does anyone use this with their acoustics (with pickups) or is this primarily designed to be used with electric guitars?

Please give me a rating and any other information you can provide as to it's use and how it has enhanced your sound.

Thanks.

Pastor Chuck
Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM

I've seen this in both acoustic rigs and electric rigs. I've also seen guys use it as a boost pedal to drive an amp by bumping up some frequencies. It seems to work well as both, a tone shaping tool, and a way to get some oomph to the amp. YMMV, of course...
Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM

I had one for awhile. It's main purpose is to allow very precise EQ'ing of your signal via a multiband graphic EQ versus a sweepable parametric EQ. It comes in handy if you want to bump some low frequencies, yet really attenuate some even lower frequencies to reduce boominess or feedback. You can sculpt out some mids, or boost some highs yet taper off at the very high end to reduce hiss or harshness. To me it was more of a novelty than anything else. It turned out to be overkill for me in an acoustic setup and I sold it. Your needs may be different however.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM

I use one for my K&K's in my Larri, exact impedence match and as mentioned highly tunable and precise. I also run it thru a BBE 100 DI Sonic when patching to a PA (which also matches the low impedence of the K&K). I can also use it as a boost to cut thru when needed. It's especially nice for dialing out low end feedback at high volume or setting a different tone when used as a boost for solos. BTW works great with my T5C2-12'er too.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 02-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I use one for my K&K's in my Larri, exact impedence match and as mentioned highly tunable and precise. I also run it thru a BBE 100 DI Sonic when patching to a PA (which also matches the low impedence of the K&K). I can also use it as a boost to cut thru when needed. It's especially nice for dialing out low end feedback at high volume or setting a different tone when used as a boost for solos. BTW works great with my T5C2-12'er too.
Opps I forgot, get the power adapter for practicing and around the house, it eats batteries
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I have one that I have always used for boost on my mandolin when using a pickup. At one time I used it with a magnetic p/u in a band that had drums, and my signal chain was just p/u to pedal to PA. Now I have a K&K in my mandolin, and I use an UltraSound DI Plus with the GE7 in the effects loop. It's overkill for me because I actually have all the sliders flat except the gain which is slightly boosted. I just use it to get the mandolin up in the mix for breaks.

It's quiet and reliable, like most BOSS pedals.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 AM

If you want a graphic EQ for acoustic guitar, let me recommend the MXR 10-Band EQ. It has more headroom than the GE-7, and I think it works better for this application.

Bill
Old 02-24-2008, 03:51 AM

I have four K&K mini-equipped guitars. Usually use Pure XLR preamp, but always carry GE7 as backup. If I don't need an XLR out, then I'll often use the GE7 in a band situation where the slightly less good sound, and greater noise than the Pure XLR aren't noticed. I like it, and so do other folks who tend to borrow it if I'm not using it. Quick and easy to use. Works well with K&K.

Bye now
Keith
Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebill View Post
If you want a graphic EQ for acoustic guitar, let me recommend the MXR 10-Band EQ. It has more headroom than the GE-7, and I think it works better for this application.

Bill

I'd agree about the headroom and precision advantage, but the downside with the 10-band is that its a little less portable (requires a wall-wart power supply).

FWIW, I'd don't think of either 7 band, or 10 band, graphic EQ as being as precise as sweepable midrange controls are for finding the "sweet spot" for a midrange cut. Neither are these graphic EQs as precise, IMO, as a sweepable and depth adjustable notch is for eliminating low end boominess.

Gary
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 PM

I use one for Acoustic and Electric guitars when needed.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 PM

I used a G7 for a while for a volume boost and low end cut (feedback freq) for a lead tone with an acoustic. I always felt that it was a little harsh to my ears.

I sold it a while ago in favor of a Magicstomp which can be dialed in more precisely using the software editor. Note: I put the Magistomp in a true bypass and only use it for various lead tones.

Enjoy the day.
Grey
Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 PM

I was using the G7 with my K&K Mini equiped Guild but just couldn't get the midrange tone I was looking for. I am now using an LR Baggs Para DI with a sweepable midrange and I like that MUCH better.
1973 Guild S-100, 2 Humbuckers
1967 Guild D-40, Original factory acoustic electric. The volume and tone controls are on the soundboard. Has Guild mag pickup at base of neck.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I'd agree about the headroom and precision advantage, but the downside with the 10-band is that its a little less portable (requires a wall-wart power supply).
True, but i'd never run a GE7 or other pedal off batteries... unless you like buying batteries. Get a visual 1Spot or godlyke powerall... they're both small and power just about anything. You'll need the 18volt converter for the mxr, since it's an 18v pedal... i've got one on my mxr108... can't remember who makes it at the moment, but it was cheap.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 PM

I found that it is rather noisy when compare with Para DI for Acoustic Guitar/Amp. It may due to as the bandwidth of acoustic equipment is wider than electric guitar.
The EQ section of Para DI offer most of frequencies for acoustic guitar.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Ge-7

If any of you use this with your acoustics - can you tell me more about your settings? Also - do any of you use with WITH the LR Baggs Para DI?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification