The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
.tom the übergeek

I am using a pair of Yorkville NX550p and a Yorkville LS800p sub. All powered and they kill....maybe literally...I have run this system at 105db + in a 1000 seat auditorium and it sounded great. I have run it in a little bitty room and it sounds amazing.

If you drop in at the Live Audio Board (www.prosoundweb.com) you will find that most of them recommend the Yorkville hands down over the Mackie, JBL or others costing similar $$.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor007
Good point Cotten...
Here's what they have to be good for.
We're talking speakers for powered 6-8 channel pa's.
To be used by solo acoustic guitar w/ vocals. In bars, patios, outdoors, etc.
All kinds of One-man types of shows. Picture yourself in front of a crowd of about 300 drunk college kids, playing solo acoustic. You're about to bust out the world's best version of "Rockin in the Free World," you play aggressive, you loop your rhythm track, tear into solos, bust out the harmonica when needed, all while trying to maintain random eye contact w/ the girl in the mini skirt with the nice rack. In your opinion, what is the best speaker for this setting?
Ditto on the "Good point Cotten", actually on all the points Cotten made. Playing solo acoustic for 300 drunk college kids, eh? That's quite a firewalk, I imagine.

I think all the previous posters would agree that a pair of speakers on stands would work best, from the audience's perspective. That's a no brainer. Which speakers to get, etc. is the question. Obviously, it will mostly depend on overall budget. Given your gigging environament, I'd be afraid to set up a expensive system, only to see it possibly harmed by a patron. Still, I wouldn't go cheap either, as the sound quality will be sub-par. Also, don't get an underpowered system - one that you have to crank near the max to be heard. Better to have a system that is just idling at the needed volume.

Several good suggestions have been made so far. You should actually try the speakers/amp/mixer before you buy it, and you should try several setups before amking any final decision.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:07 PM

Having had experience using JBL speakers in just about musical situations I've been, it's what I'd recommend...powered or unpowered.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray
Ditto on the "Good point Cotten", actually on all the points Cotten made. Playing solo acoustic for 300 drunk college kids, eh? That's quite a firewalk, I imagine.

Its good work if you can get it.
Lots 'o fun.

I'm interested in these Yorkville speakers and might check out the JBL's as well.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:25 PM

The JBL's will stand up to anything

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-10-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor007
Good point Cotten...
Here's what they have to be good for.
We're talking speakers for powered 6-8 channel pa's.
To be used by solo acoustic guitar w/ vocals. In bars, patios, outdoors, etc.
All kinds of One-man types of shows. Picture yourself in front of a crowd of about 300 drunk college kids, playing solo acoustic. You're about to bust out the world's best version of "Rockin in the Free World," you play aggressive, you loop your rhythm track, tear into solos, bust out the harmonica when needed, all while trying to maintain random eye contact w/ the girl in the mini skirt with the nice rack. In your opinion, what is the best speaker for this setting?
For their price, I don' think you could beat the Yorkville N350's for an acoustic solo act. Actually there is a pair on e-bay right now. They don't come up too often. The guys on the Harmony Central Pro audio/ sound reinforcement forum all agree, these speakers are great and they weigh next to nothing. I'm happy with my Carvin PM15's, I thought they sounded as good as the Eon 1500's I demoed side by side and were half the price. But the Yorkies are a step-up IMHO. They were out of my price range and I wanted the extra bass of a 15" speaker for our acoustic bass player so I got the Carvins. As an added feature, since the Yorkies are so light, you can impress the girl w/ the mini skirt.... by effortless lifting one of theose babies up to the speaker stand with one hand!

Last edited by cotten; 08-10-2005 at 04:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification