The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-14-2024, 11:06 AM

Default Carpal Tunnel

I've tried the forum search options but with limited success so I'm asking directly:

Has anyone here suffered with carpal tunnel issues?
Were any non-surgical solutions offered and how successful were they?
If you had carpal tunnel surgery, did it solve your carpal tunnel issues?
How long did it take to get back to playing guitar as well or better than pre-surgery?

I'm still waiting to see a doctor about it but frankly from what little I can find online, I'm scared to death I'll lose the ability to play guitar.

Thank you for any help/info you can provide.

Best,
PJ
Old 02-14-2024, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Put this into a google search (works better than forum search):

"Carpal Tunnel and acoustic guitar forum"

It is a much discussed topic here!
Old 02-14-2024, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I've tried the forum search options but with limited success so I'm asking directly:

How long did it take to get back to playing guitar as well or better than pre-surgery?

I'm still waiting to see a doctor about it but frankly from what little I can find online, I'm scared to death I'll lose the ability to play guitar.

Best,
PJ
After being in considerable discomfort for some time, I was diagnosed with CT in late 2021. After consulation with the surgeon, I had surgery on both wrists in November 2021. I recall him mentioning cortisone injections, but that they would only provide temporary relief.

The two surgeries were separated by a few weeks. Recovery from both was uneventful - I was playing again (albeit not particularly well) within a month. In fact, the PA I saw for followup after the surgery told me that guitar playing would be excellent therapy. I have made a complete recovery.

YMMV, of course, but there have been many similar tales here over the years.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-14-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Best,
PJ
I was able to avoid surgery, and it was more of an issue from work than play and pleasure stuff.

One trick I never thought of was the physician have me wear a wrist brace when sleeping because it helps make sure you don't fall asleep on the wrist. Managing inflammation and PT were helpful.

This was all near or in the time when I got other health matters and well being much improved. It seems to me the years that followed with the right and regular physical activity, weight loss, low alcohol and fat diet, yoga and PT type activities have helped it no longer be a problem.

It did take a while to be used to and keep at the lifestyle changes but a lot more than the those symptoms improved so I try to keep at it. Some do need surgery though.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I was able to avoid surgery, and it was more of an issue from work than play and pleasure stuff.

One trick I never thought of was the physician have me wear a wrist brace when sleeping because it helps make sure you don't fall asleep on the wrist. Managing inflammation and PT were helpful.

This was all near or in the time when I got other health matters and well being much improved. It seems to me the years that followed with the right and regular physical activity, weight loss, low alcohol and fat diet, yoga and PT type activities have helped it no longer be a problem.

It did take a while to be used to and keep at the lifestyle changes but a lot more than the those symptoms improved so I try to keep at it. Some do need surgery though.

Good luck.
Yes, the wrist brace is a great step in determining whether the condition will heal on its own. It's not just that you might sleep on your wrist, but it is natural for us to fold our wrists inward when they are relaxed during our sleep, and that puts the nerve and tunnel under stress.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

I had CT surgery several months ago. There hasn't been much if any change. My issues came on suddenly and painfully. I broke my hand years ago so there are those issues hanging around also. Yes, they did mention doing shots, but I wanted a robust solution. In my situation I feel the doctors took the whole thing as business as usual and did not pay attention to outliers. Good luck.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-15-2024, 08:42 AM

Thank you all very much! Dogma, your suggestion was very helpful.

After searching like Dogma suggested, I read all of the posts and am feeling a lot less stressed now. I can't thank you all enough!

From what I've read, it seems my case is nowhere near as bad as those who've posted here. I have tingling but no pain so I'm hopeful.

Thank you all again,
PJ
Old 02-15-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
... I have tingling but no pain so I'm hopeful.
I've also had tingling but no pain for two years. I had my second nerve conduction test this week, which confirmed the carpal tunnel, and the fact that there has been no improvement after two years of ultrasound therapy, wrist splints, physical therapy and an exercise routine at home. It's kind of a bummer.

So I can either put up with the constant tingling, or try surgery. The doctor said that's her recommendation if I would like to regain unencumbered use of my hand again.

Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:24 PM

I'm now two days out from the Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release surgery and things are going very well. My palm is very sensitive to pressure and I only have abut 40% or so of my previous grip strength but luckily very little pain. And when anything hurts Tylenol takes care of it pretty well. That and ice of course.

I'd read a lot about what to expect from this and since most of what I found was about the "open" variety of surgery, I was prepared for a lot less mobility and more pain but this hasn't happened thankfully.

I'll admit I'm babying my fretting hand and trying not to use it much, but all in all I'm feeling very optimistic about the whole thing. I realize I'm still at the very beginning of recovery but considering I'll be doing this on my right hand once I recover enough from this one, I think it will all be ok.

If anyone is needing this, I highly recommend the Endoscopic variety of surgery if it's available.

Best,
PJ
Old 03-30-2024, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm now two days out from the Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release surgery and things are going very well. My palm is very sensitive to pressure and I only have abut 40% or so of my previous grip strength but luckily very little pain. And when anything hurts Tylenol takes care of it pretty well. That and ice of course.

I'd read a lot about what to expect from this and since most of what I found was about the "open" variety of surgery, I was prepared for a lot less mobility and more pain but this hasn't happened thankfully.

I'll admit I'm babying my fretting hand and trying not to use it much, but all in all I'm feeling very optimistic about the whole thing. I realize I'm still at the very beginning of recovery but considering I'll be doing this on my right hand once I recover enough from this one, I think it will all be ok.

If anyone is needing this, I highly recommend the Endoscopic variety of surgery if it's available.

Best,
PJ
Good to hear. Sounds like you’re on a very similar trajectory to mine - I also had the endoscopic surgery.

I wonder if anyone actually does the ‘open’ variety any more?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-31-2024, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Not to be a wet blanket but my issues hit nine months ago. I've had surgery. I still have numbness and pain. At my doctor's visit last week, he explained that I still have hope and that it may take another year. I'm waiting for divine intervention.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:56 PM

I have been diagnosed with mild CTS is both wrists, but it's not bad enough to require surgery at this point.

A few weeks ago I began wearing a NewGrip brace at night, and doing the exercises in the video below. I think I can notice some improvement.

https://youtu.be/0CM3v6sxYzA?si=71CFJmS02Xui3a9c
Old 04-27-2024, 08:49 AM

My Jelly I hope things get better for you and Harmony 123 I hope the same!

As for me, I've now had both hands done. My right was done exactly 2 weeks after the left. As of 2 days ago I've been cleared to lift more than 10 pounds with my left and in a little less than 2 weeks I'll be cleared to do the same with my right.

I know everyone is different, and my doctor has said the same, but my experience has been brilliant. I already feel 95% back to normal with my left and about 80% in my right.

The only real issue is the palms of both hands are sore "inside" my hands. I imagine it's the internal bits coming to grips with the cutting. Ice and ibuprofen have been my friends! I feel it's improving daily but of course not as quickly as I want.

I feel that soon I'll be able to push against my palms as much as I want with no discomfort. Probably within a month or two. Hopefully anyway.

The most important part for me is I've been able to play my guitar with no numbness whatsoever. And I actually snuck in a little playing at day 10 post surgery which was 4 days earlier than I was cleared for.

Thanks to everyone who sent their experiences and well-wishes. You really put my mind at ease and I thank you.

Best,
PJ
Old 04-27-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Not to be a wet blanket but my issues hit nine months ago. I've had surgery. I still have numbness and pain. At my doctor's visit last week, he explained that I still have hope and that it may take another year. I'm waiting for divine intervention.

Did they do an electrical study (EMG/NCS)? If they didn’t, then it is possible they missed the real problem. Numb and tingling hands can be other than CTS.
Also, if there was significant damage to the nerve fibers at the wrist, it could take 6-9 months, or more, to fully recover. Slow axon growth.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Did they do an electrical study (EMG/NCS)? If they didn’t, then it is possible they missed the real problem. Numb and tingling hands can be other than CTS.
Also, if there was significant damage to the nerve fibers at the wrist, it could take 6-9 months, or more, to fully recover. Slow axon growth.
Yes, I had the tests before surgery. I am told that nerves repair themselves, but very slowly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic