The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2016, 06:36 PM

Lightbulb Yamaha LL16 ARE

Hey guys,
I was wondering what you guys thought about the Zero Impact Pickup on the LL16 ARE. I know its a passive piezo pickup, but Yamaha seems to make it look special. I haven't been able to find good audio examples of the pickup vs mic.

Also, I was wondering how an LL16 ARE would work with a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. Since the pickup is passive, will the signal be okay with the Play Acoustic?

Thanks,
Old 05-24-2016, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Last year I ordered a Yamaha LL16-12 A.R.E and didn't like the Zero Impact UST as is but if I ran its output through a Fishman Aura Spectrum the amplified tone was okay. Being that the Zero Impact UST hears almost 100% string vibration, running it through a TC Helicon Play Acoustic's Body Rez feature would likely be an excellent method of giving some "body" to the LL16's amplified tone. The Zero Impact UST likes to see a high-impedance load of at least 1 MOhms for extracting the most tone and gain from it but you'll likely want to boost the Zero Impact's signal prior to going into the Play Acoustic. I returned the Yamaha LL16-12 ARE and ordered a Taylor 356ce and couldn't be happier with its tone and the No Fuss/No Muss onboard ES2.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-24-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 AM

I agree with Spruce. I will add that the UST is serviceable and will work fine for basic use. It is perhaps a little better than some after market USTs. If you want better performance, the body res in the TC unit should sound great. We have had great success with it in our folk club. The Fishman Aura system should also work well. I think the Yamaha is a great guitar and wouldn't let the pickup discourage you, unless you have some very demanding requirements.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amplification, bodyrez, piezo, tc helicon play acoustic, yamaha ll16