The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Default Fishman Aura Spectrum DI using K&K pure western mini?

Hoping to get some advice on using the Fishman Aura with the passive pure western mini pickup:

I've read that the Aura is intended for an UST and plays best with the Fishman Trinity. That being said,
1) Would it add to the tone of a K&K pure mini?
2) Does it transmit phantom power to the K&K and at an acceptable amount?
3) Are there any technical considerations such as "ohms" or impedance that would cause an issue?
4) Does it have the ability to be used when an internal condenser mic is wired in with the K&K? If not, could the internal mic signal be split out or cancelled somehow?
5) Can it be used before another preamp or mixer?
6) What advantages/reasons would there be for going out XLR instead of 1/4 inch mono?

Thanks for your input and I appreciate any experiences you may have had with the Aura and K&K.

Just a guy who loves to play guitar!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Hoping to get some advice on using the Fishman Aura with the passive pure western mini pickup:

I've read that the Aura is intended for an UST and plays best with the Fishman Trinity. That being said,

1) Would it add to the tone of a K&K pure mini?
I have K&Ks on three guitars, and have found that the Aura Spectrum enhances the amplified tone on all three nicely as long as an appropriate (body and tonewood match) Aura image is selected, and the blend is kept judicious (usually no higher than 25%).

Quote:
2) Does it transmit phantom power to the K&K and at an acceptable amount?
No, but the K&K is passive and does not need phantom power.

Quote:
3) Are there any technical considerations such as "ohms" or impedance that would cause an issue?
In my experience, no. However, be aware that this is a much debated topic, and you're going to get strong and differing opinions.

Quote:
4) Does it have the ability to be used when an internal condenser mic is wired in with the K&K? If not, could the internal mic signal be split out or cancelled somehow?
I'm sure that at the very least you could set the blend to 0 and use the Aura Spectrum as a straight pre-amp for the transducer.

Quote:
5) Can it be used before another preamp or mixer?
It can definitely be run into a board mixer. Don't know about another preamp. I would guess not.

Quote:
6) What advantages/reasons would there be for going out XLR instead of 1/4 inch mono?
Interesting you should ask this...The moment I went from the 1/4" to the XLR output I thought my rig sounded better. Somehow cleaner and fuller (just by a little). I now only use the XLR output into my amp.

Quote:
Thanks for your input and I appreciate any experiences you may have had with the Aura and K&K.
No problem. Again, my biggest tip is to find the "right" image and to add it very judiciously.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-06-2015, 06:48 AM

I purchased a secondhand Spectrum as a curiosity more than anything. I have found in my short time with it that the post above is absolutely correct.

Find images that enhance the sound. Some images are not going to work well at all. This was a ton of fun to play around with. Match body shape and tone wood as suggested.

I run 1/4" out to my stage amp and the XLR to the house PA at church. Sounds great.

I also find the anti feedback setup to be quite effective once set according to the instructions.

Enjoy...it's a cool unit to play with.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:53 AM

That's very interesting, I find my spectrum DI to be very picky about what pickup is used. I tried it with my K&K and it just did not match well together. I find the aura images have a hollow/mid range characteristic which doesn't work well with SBT's. I will have to experiment.

With that said, it was mentioned above that good results are found with the aura at 25% blend with the K&K. IME, you don't start hearing much of the image until you are close to 50%. It's definitely a bit lower than 50% but 25% still sounds to me like my dry UST. You might be getting so little aura blended in that it works. However, I am not sure if I would make an investment into the aura if that was my blend setting.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
...snip...It's definitely a bit lower than 50% but 25% still sounds to me like my dry UST. You might be getting so little aura blended in that it works. However, I am not sure if I would make an investment into the aura if that was my blend setting.
I generally agree with this, though I think I'm getting more "depth" and "fullness" to the tone of my K&K with the slight image blend.

Though I think the Aura Spectrum is a great preamp, even with the blend at zero, I would not recommend it for someone whose primary guitar was not equipped with an under saddle transducer pickup. There are other, much less expensive preamps that will work as well or better with non-UST pickups.

However, if you do have an UST on your guitar (and it doesn't need to be the Matrix despite what Fishman says ) you are going to get "scary good", almost unbelievable results with the Aura Spectrum by blending in an appropriate image. Of course, YMMV.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post

However, if you do have an UST on your guitar (and it doesn't need to be the Matrix despite what Fishman says ) you are going to get "scary good", almost unbelievable results with the Aura Spectrum by blending in an appropriate image. Of course, YMMV.
I have found the Aura works best with the Matrix. I know a lot of times this is just false marketing but I tried it with the Lr Baggs Element and it just did not sound that good. It's definitely a unit that calls for experimentation though!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Experimentation is, indeed, encouraged! Some of the best amplified acoustic guitar results I've ever had were with my now sold 2007 Gibson J-45 Honeyburst Koa Custom with its LR Baggs Element Active feeding a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI with J-45 Aura Images loaded. This setup was fed into a Fishman SoloAmp.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amplification, fishman aura, guitar, k&k, pick-up