The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-30-2021, 05:37 PM

Default So? What's "wrong" with just strumming and singing?

Just curious about perception.

When I started with guitar, my goal was to learn to strum, so I could accompany beginner violin students. Many adults prefer fiddle music, and it's a way to help them keep time and provide a "performance" atmosphere which is a lot of fun - and different than a violin duet.

Then I realized that I can actually sing along with the guitar! After thinking I couldn't sing (maybe because I have a deep voice, likely contralto, and couldn't manage to fit in with the other girls), turns out I can sing (even if not especially well). Regardless, I'm pumped!

Then I read all the derogatory comments about cowboy guitars and 3-chord strummers, posers, etc. Rather discouraging.

So, fine. Maybe it's not a high-level achievement, but it's still an achievement. My current goal is to polish my strumming/singing the best I can.

Yet, I can't seem to find videos of polished "simple" performances. Lessons, yes. Examples during a lesson, yes. But not an actual performance.

Why? Not interesting? Too boring? No place for it? No market?

I find it all a bit amusing too. Way back when (before my time even) people would gather in the parlour and sing and play instruments. Great way to engage and entertain. Now you have kids taking piano lessons (or other lessons) for years who won't play in public because they think they're not good enough, etc. Why can't it be simple?

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 03-30-2021, 05:44 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with strumming and singing. Many talented guitarists struggle when singing.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Hey, I can't come close to singing anything while strumming ! So you got me beat. LOL I have a lot of respect and admiration for the fingerstyle players, but I don't enjoy watching fingerstyle songs in the show and tell section (or on youtube) as much as a good singer/strummer. I told my self I can only do what I know and enjoy, and i think that's good for all of us no matter the style of play.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:59 PM

If you had ever heard me trying to sing, you’d know what’s wrong. It’s so bad that my wife bought me a harmonica.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:10 PM

I sing and strum because it makes me feel good.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-30-2021, 06:12 PM

Strumming and singing - doesn't get much better than this ....

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-30-2021, 06:13 PM

Nothing at all wrong with strumming and singing! It's about enjoying yourself. That's one of the wonderful things about guitar, and really music overall - it can be as easy or difficult, simple, or complex as anyone could ever want. I've been playing for decades and have found my focus has changed many times over the years, classical, rock, lead, rhythm, jazz, country, Christian, etc. I've come to realize that for most people it's not about being flashy or fast or how expensive your equipment is. It's more about the song and how it makes them feel. I'll take a simple song that moves me emotionally over impressive technique any day! Play what makes YOU happy!
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 03-30-2021, 06:15 PM

Don't listen to those posers who think you have to copy them.
Have fun playing and singing and everyone around you will have fun.
And here is how I look at it.... Most of those people want to be you singing and playing.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:27 PM

I agree with others that it’s ok to strum and sing with simple songs. I have several songs like that, but my guitar teacher keeps pushing me to develop more skill.
I’m sure there are plenty of people that are jealous that you can both together.. im feel im lucky also i can play and sing together..

one suggestion from me is polish all your songs your way then find another guitarist who likes to fill or play lead. That way you can strum and sing and the other person can solo along..

Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
Just curious about perception.

When I started with guitar, my goal was to learn to strum, so I could accompany beginner violin students. Many adults prefer fiddle music, and it's a way to help them keep time and provide a "performance" atmosphere which is a lot of fun - and different than a violin duet.

Then I realized that I can actually sing along with the guitar! After thinking I couldn't sing (maybe because I have a deep voice, likely contralto, and couldn't manage to fit in with the other girls), turns out I can sing (even if not especially well). Regardless, I'm pumped!

Then I read all the derogatory comments about cowboy guitars and 3-chord strummers, posers, etc. Rather discouraging.

So, fine. Maybe it's not a high-level achievement, but it's still an achievement. My current goal is to polish my strumming/singing the best I can.

Yet, I can't seem to find videos of polished "simple" performances. Lessons, yes. Examples during a lesson, yes. But not an actual performance.

Why? Not interesting? Too boring? No place for it? No market?

I find it all a bit amusing too. Way back when (before my time even) people would gather in the parlour and sing and play instruments. Great way to engage and entertain. Now you have kids taking piano lessons (or other lessons) for years who won't play in public because they think they're not good enough, etc. Why can't it be simple?
2012, Seagull S12, 2016 Ibanez AVN6

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-30-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:30 PM

Nothing wrong with goals that are personal. As long as you are getting what you want out of playing your guitar your way, that is all that matters.

Why aren’t there more videos of strummers singing and playing simple songs? I don’t know. I do know that some folks who start as simple strummers pick up more skills as they continue playing...learning some more chords, developing more variations in their strumming, developing their singing, or becoming songwriters. It sounds like you are doing this, OP.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong with it at all! I believe as long as you are playing, no matter what genre, no matter what style, be it strumming, flat picking, finger picking, or whatever, no matter how accomplished (or not) you are...it does not matter. If you are enjoying making music thats what matters...nothing more, nothing less.

You will pick up more skills as you continue on your guitar journey. Enjoy the ride!

As a BTW...I fall into the “I am not a very good guitar player and I cannot sing very well”, but I enjoy doing both. If there are folks who think less of me because I do not meet their standards, thats ok, I am still having fun, and after all, thats what is important to me.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-30-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
Nothing at all wrong with strumming and singing! It's about enjoying yourself. That's one of the wonderful things about guitar, and really music overall - it can be as easy or difficult, simple, or complex as anyone could ever want. I've been playing for decades and have found my focus has changed many times over the years, classical, rock, lead, rhythm, jazz, country, Christian, etc. I've come to realize that for most people it's not about being flashy or fast or how expensive your equipment is. It's more about the song and how it makes them feel. I'll take a simple song that moves me emotionally over impressive technique any day! Play what makes YOU happy!
Can’t say it any better. Comparison is the thief of joy. It’s all about what makes you happy.

I come from a big family. When we get together, regardless of the reason, we always end up strumming and singing like there’s no tomorrow and the songs we love best are the simple “old-timely” ones. We always end with “Keep on the Sunny Side of Life” and “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” and hope Mother Maybelle is looking down and smiling.

Martin HD-35
Martin D-18
Taylor 814ce TSB
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Taylor 514ce
Taylor 355 12-string
Alvarez ABT610e Baritone 6
Yamaha C-40
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge

G4V Cyber Instructor
Old 03-30-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
If you want to strum, go strum. As for derogatory remarks about strumming, I haven't seen those here and this forum is pretty strict about it's "be nice" rule so I'm wondering if you're not just taking some remark in a way other than intended.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-30-2021, 06:40 PM

Congratulations on being able to sing while you strum. I’ve met lots of folks who can’t do that, even after they have played for years, so you’re already doing great!

When I started playing, it was to entertain myself and possibly be in a band, so singing while playing was pretty much mandatory.

I’m amazed at people who can play lead or bass and sing at the same time. My brain won’t do that.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 03-30-2021, 06:51 PM

Nothing wrong with it at all. Good strumming usually means good rhythm. And if you can tell a story on top if it that's evev better. Bob Dylan and Jimmy Buffett are two prime examples.

FWIW, my two cents says that guitarists in general are always critical of other guitarists and if they aren't wowed by a performance they dismiss the player as pedestrian or average/boring. I'm not saying all guitarists are like that but there is a certain male dominance of the guitar world and that also means a lot of 'manly' testosterone fueled competition. Again, just my two pesos.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write