The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Really a gorgeous guitar! I've never had opportunity to play a Furch, but I really appreciate the story behind the name, and the history of the factory.

And...it the correct pronunciation "Furch" or "Furk"? I've heard it pronounced both ways.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone for all the congrats. I'm fairly new around here, but feel this is a pretty nice group. And I wouldn't have known about Furch if it wasn't for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
That is one sweet looking guitar. I sold a a Furch Red CR. Like you Cedar was not the right fit for me. I see a Red SR in my Future. Congratulations for both a sweet guitar and for a fantastic wife.
Some people can make the cedar sing. I watched a number of videos and was quite impressed. As the standard top on the Yellow series is cedar, I was trying to convince myself it would work for me. I almost bought a used one Friday night, but thought at that price I should really make the drive to try them. Glad I did. Even more glad the wife came with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Ok, this guitar is really beautiful!
But what impresses me even more is where you find all those wifes. I mean this is not the first story about a wonderful supporting partner.
I haven’t been that lucky - and I tried hard!

So, what are you doing right or what am I doing wrong? Or is it just luck?
I wish I could give you my secrets, but I don't have any. I do feel incredibly lucky she changed her mind about me. I knew her for about 2 years before we started dating and during that time she told her friends she would NEVER date me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Wow, excellent! Enjoy it!

Where did you buy it?
Guitars San Diego. Great little shop. They used to have a more traditional store front, but was told they downsized space (not sales) during covid since people weren't coming in anyways. I called ahead and had the owner's complete attention the entire time we were there. He pulled out each guitar out of their case as we discussed each one. He already knew what I was looking for from our phone conversation. I had a personal guitar guide completely focused on helping me find my perfect guitar. While small, he had more high end inventory than all my local stores put together. And every one he pulled out was pristine. So it was definitely worth the over 3hrs of driving. Didn't hurt that we stopped at one of our favorite wineries on the way home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Beautiful! I love the detail in the binding and on the headstock! i
would love to try a Furch, just nowhere around to sample...
Congrats and enjoy!
It was awesome being able to try so many of them. Every one I picked up from the Blue to Red was fantastic. I only saw one flaw on any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliend View Post
That is a sweet guitar! Beautiful!

I prefer Phosphor Bronze on my Furch for fingerpicking and flatpicking, although 80/20 does sound better for strumming (in my opinion of course).

I also recommend getting it set up, maybe at the same shop for free? The action and saddle came quite high on mine new.

Enjoy in good health!
All I played had action middle of the road to low. The owner does work on them himself, so maybe he already did a setup? I'm going to let it get comfortable at my house for a few days and see what happens. My Guild and Eastman both had a full setups this year, so I'm familiar with how a good one can make it feel like a totally different guitar.

Thanks for the recommendations on strings. Seems I have a few options to try.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
Really a gorgeous guitar! I've never had opportunity to play a Furch, but I really appreciate the story behind the name, and the history of the factory.

And...it the correct pronunciation "Furch" or "Furk"? I've heard it pronounced both ways.
The store owner told me it's "Furk."
Old 10-26-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post

It is hard to phoneticize it since it has a guttural sound it to, but I heard Petr Furch himself say it and it was more like "foochk" with a lean toward the profane. No "ur" in the vowel and no noticeable "r."

I have a Red Plus Gc-CR and I like it more each day.

Just for fun, as you may know, there is a phenomenon where we tend to track down advertisements, reviews, endorsements for products AFTER we buy them as much as before. As such, you will enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGmBPW7c2Tg
Furch Gc-CR Red

ELECTRICS
Gibson Les Paul Custom '68 reissue sunburst
Carvin Bolt
Stratocaster custom build
Schecter Stiletto 5-string bass
Old 10-26-2020, 11:28 AM

Welcome to the Furch family!! I absolutely love my two!
Taylor 612CE

Furch 2018LTD (OM)
Furch Rainbow Series Jumbo 12s
Furch Little Jane

McFarland resonator
Old 10-26-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipII View Post
It is hard to phoneticize it since it has a guttural sound it to, but I heard Petr Furch himself say it and it was more like "foochk" with a lean toward the profane. No "ur" in the vowel and no noticeable "r."

I have a Red Plus Gc-CR and I like it more each day.

Just for fun, as you may know, there is a phenomenon where we tend to track down advertisements, reviews, endorsements for products AFTER we buy them as much as before. As such, you will enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGmBPW7c2Tg
Wow, thanks for the link. I've seen a large percentage of Paul's videos, but never noticed he reviewed my guitar. Got a kick out of that.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:37 PM

That's AWESOME.
Wow.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion