The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-06-2021, 08:22 AM

I credit DM with restoring my interest in acoustic guitar. I had played for years in college, but got bored and no current artist. was inspiring me, so I quit altogether for about 20 years.
One evening, my wife and I were staying at a bed and breakfast, and they happened to have Live at Luther Hall playing in the common area. I was mesmerized by Cry Freedom and ended up buying the CD.
That bump-started me and I have sold all my electric equipment. Enjoying acoustic guitar more than ever!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 01-06-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
As good as Dave Matthews is ... he just doesn't come near this guy for strumming ...

Ok, I guess I'll be the one to go there...

WHO is that guy!!!!
Old 01-06-2021, 09:07 AM

All fantastic guitarists in their own right. Dave put together an amazing band. He writes some funky odd time stuff and his band is extremely tight live. Carter Beauford is one of the best there is. If you're into music it's impossible to not recognize the sheer talent of the entire group individually and then as a whole.

Via is my era. RR, EVH, SRV, ZW, Kirk Hammett, Yngwhie (SP? I never get that right LOL) just an incredible array of guitar hero shredders in a relatively short period of time.

Dave Mathews made his mark playing an entirely different type of music. Far more original than any of those guys. Like it or hate it it's all his own.

Just my .02 and that's about all it's worth.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
. I think the point above is that Daves style is so complex. Yet he’s so original it just sounds effortless. Pete’s a broad strokes guitarist; not much like Steve V, in my opinion.
Yes that was my point exactly. In no way am I knocking anybody, especially a great like Vai. I was merely attempting to make a point that some very simple sounding DM songs are really difficult to play, especially for a hobby playing chord strumming, camp fire hack like me.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:32 AM

I love DMB and he has fueled and inspired me to get better. Problem is a lot of his stuff is so dam hard to play that I have to be realistic and accept I will probably never play guitar like him, nor sing like him!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 AM

I think they're both great at what they do.

I had read that Dave's unorthodox method of how he plays chords is from being a self taught player.

Where as on the other hand Steve Vai is a total master of theory.

Apparently there's more than one way to skin a cat!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I think they're both great at what they do.

I had read that Dave's unorthodox method of how he plays chords is from being a self taught player.

Where as on the other hand Steve Vai is a total master of theory.

Apparently there's more than one way to skin a cat!
And don't forget James Taylor can't read music. That's the wonderful thing about music, so many pathways to creating moving, soulful pieces.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 01-06-2021, 12:28 PM

If his fretting hand impresses you, consider that he keeps his thumb behind the neck. If you’re used to a different grip, it takes a lot of hard work to get used to fretting that way, but in the end your hand will be working much more efficiently.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:37 PM

I've always thought that Dave Matthews was better solo than with the band. His strumming style is nothing short of inspiration when he's not competing for bandwidth.

Last edited by bufflehead; 01-06-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I've always thought that Dave Matthews was better solo than with the band. His strumming style is nothing short of inspiration when he's not competing for bandwidth.
I agree that Dave himself (meaning his playing) is more intricate and revealing solo (or with Tim) vs. the full band.

However I enjoy both, as when I'm watching the full band version I very much enjoy all the other instruments showing their chops (and Carter is one of my favorite current drummers working, along with Matt Cameron and Steve Jordan).
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 01-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
I agree that Dave himself (meaning his playing) is more intricate and revealing solo (or with Tim) vs. the full band.

However I enjoy both, as when I'm watching the full band version I very much enjoy all the other instruments showing their chops (and Carter is one of my favorite current drummers working, along with Matt Cameron and Steve Jordan).
Carter is a beast!
Old 01-06-2021, 02:30 PM

Dave Matthews = Steve Vai ?

Well, I've never seen them both in the same room at the same time, so may be.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:31 PM

Talent has no bearing on whether I like someone or not. There are probably dozens of super-talented artists out there that I don't care for. That, once again, has no bearing on whether they are "good" or not. Of course they're good at what they do, and Dave Mathews is one of those people for me. He's great, and he's a serious player, but just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I too am a campfire hack, but enjoy learning new songs all the time. For some reason, I too can't pin down how to play a lot of DMB songs. IMO, he approaches playing the guitar like one would approach playing Tabla Drums (sort of like bongos, but you use your fingers more). He's very rhythmic, and uses the fretboard in an odd way. By odd, I mean good.

I enjoy listening to him solo or with his band and have for around 25 years, however only in small doses. He is super talented though, and writes great songs.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 AM

DM is a talented guitarist but his music is chaotic and never leaves me feeling the way I want to feel while listening to music. Even worse when his full band gets involved.

His band makes me feel like I'm in a traffic jam on the 405, late for an appointment 2 exits away and I know it's going to be 30 minutes before traffic allows me to get there.

Gifted artists don't always, and perhaps never should, please everybody. That takes nothing away from their impact on others or their talent.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write