The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 01:59 PM

Question Help identifying Stella

Ive exhausted my research. Im wanting to sell the guitar but I cannot find any type of value. Inside the hole s46 no other identifying marks. The wood at the bottom was only done teo yesrs during ww2 when metal was scarce. Any help would be appreciated. Any help uploading these pictures would be amazing too. First time user
Old 06-15-2020, 02:21 PM

Default Posting Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsz View Post
Ive exhausted my research. Im wanting to sell the guitar but I cannot find any type of value. Inside the hole s46 no other identifying marks. The wood at the bottom was only done teo yesrs during ww2 when metal was scarce. Any help would be appreciated. Any help uploading these pictures would be amazing too. First time user
This should help.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:39 PM

This might help...

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/search?q=stella
Old 06-15-2020, 04:26 PM

The "S46" means the guitar was built in the second half of 1946. Harmon must have had a supply of leftover wood tailpieces as I have only ever seen them on guitars built in 1945.

Harmony acquired the Stella and Sovereign names when they purchased the Oscar Schmidt Company in 1939. The earliest Harmony versions were often leftover Schmidt-made guitars or fashioned from a combination of Schmidt and Harmony parts.

Value on the Harmony-made Stellas is not much. It all coms down largely to the neck. The Harmony Stellas though are worth a fraction of what the Schmidt guitars bring largely because of the earlier guitars association with the pre-War blues players.

I own two old Harmony Stellas. One is a 1939/40 Schmidt-made guitar re-badged and sold by Harmony. The other is a all-mahogany 1942 H165 Stella which as far as is known is the only surviving example.

Here is the Schmidt-made guitar.

Last edited by zombywoof; 06-15-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Help identifying Stella

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blues, parlour guitar, stella, wwii