The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 AM

Default Josh White Guitar Method

Josh White Guitar Method

I've seen a few songbooks posted here, things that are out of print. This songbook is way out of print, one of the early tabs songbooks, British guitarists like the late John Renbourn cited it as an influence.

Josh White was an great guitarist, singer, musician, an early crossover artist, a great bluesman and folk artist. I think there was some politics with his career, he was promoted by Frank and Eleanor Roosevelt, then it seems he fell out of favor in the 50's with all that "Red Scare" stuff. He's one guy you never hear about, unlike so many other Black bluesman, but he was just as good as any of them.

I recall someone thought they had his guitar on an episode of "Antiques Roadshow". And his son Josh, Jr. performs extensively and has a video on Homespun.

Now as for the songbook, I included what audio I could find, some of it doesn't seem to match the tabs exactly, they don't source the transcriptions in the book, maybe Josh penned them out on the fly. Sure would like to have one of them Boosey Hawkes guitars they advertise in the back.

Code:
http://lilfile.com/U5LpG7

Last edited by Joscefi78; 06-16-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:20 AM

IMO, this is a fascinating idea for a thread! Vintage out-of-print guitar songbooks and manuals - with images. I have a few myself from the 60s/70s. No tab, of course (did that book really have tab?). Mostly piano reductions, or just vocal melody and chord symbols.
Josh White is a fairly well-known name to me from the time. I have an old EP of his. From the UK perspective, he was one of those post-Big Bill Broonzy players, like Brownie McGhee, a few of whom came over here in the late 50s and turned a whole lot of people on to folk-blues guitar. Not only Renbourn, of course, but all his contemporaries (Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, Alexis Korner, etc).
By the late 50s, White was more of a polished entertainer than most, which may have put off a few of the more "purist" blues fans, who wanted their music obscure, gritty and compromising.
I remember Ivor Mairants' guitar shop in London in the 60s - he was a teacher too, who published books and tuition records.

For those who don't know Josh White:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edW5UHehwbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpRupxozes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
blues, josh white, songbook, tablature, tabs