The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Rhythm, Strumming, and Picking Patterns

Hello. Was just thinking about the title of this post and other members on this forum. What are your favorites? What patters do you use most? Not just what is in some book or on U tube, but, what you really like and play.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 AM

Good question. I will be watching.

Thanks

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 AM

I love the Beatle's classic strum pattern, the one that they use in Mother Nature's Son and Julia.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 AM

As it relates to rhythm, strumming and picking I play country and country is Major and as rhythm, strumming and picking is really using chords I use the chords found in the basic Major keys.
Key of C would be C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim.
Most of what we do is the old standby I IV V or C F and G7 with the ii Dm and vi Am thrown in for color.
I use the dominant 7 and the maj7.
I also like to use the sus chords with two note lyric words, i.e. Ma -ry sus2 on the Ma and parent block chord on the ry. Sus chords are also a good way to end a song.
I very seldom, if ever, venture into 9th, 11th or 13th.
My fingers are not long enough to pull off barre chords so I use CAGED, mainly the A, E and D forms. I use a modified 2, 3 & 4 string A form quite a lot.

I've been knows to use power chords and also 1 and 2 finger chords.

I do not do a lot of picking except in private, so others will have to speak about picking.

Last edited by Malcolm; 07-10-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM

for my I play the moinor 6 of whatever Major chord I'm playing in for example If the Song is a G I play de Em scale
Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Regarding picking patterns, as a teacher of fingerstyle guitar, I work with right hand patterns for 2 reasons. First to accompany voice or other instruments, and the only limitation of the pattern used is that it have a similar of complimentary rhythm. The second, is as a stepping stone to getting the right fingers to function individually without the confines of any pattern. Patterns are great to discipline the right hand, and breaking out of the patterns by adding runs or embellishments is the next step toward right hand freedom.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbs View Post
Regarding picking patterns, as a teacher of fingerstyle guitar, I work with right hand patterns for 2 reasons. First to accompany voice or other instruments, and the only limitation of the pattern used is that it have a similar of complimentary rhythm. The second, is as a stepping stone to getting the right fingers to function individually without the confines of any pattern. Patterns are great to discipline the right hand, and breaking out of the patterns by adding runs or embellishments is the next step toward right hand freedom.
One of my main reasons for this thread is to learn more patterns to accompany singers in the church along with another guitar who plays rhythm. He needs to learn more strumming patterns and I fingerstyle patterns. I would like to know many patterns and how to combine them. I do this some now but not well and limited in choices.
what you said about adding runs or embellshments caught my attention - something I would really like to learn. I am looking for an english speaking teacher here in Thailand. I don't speak Thai well enough to take lessons in Thai. I am on a very slow IP (only one available wherre I live) so U Tube will not download. I have thought of purchasing a book by mail but I don't want to buy the wrong material so I am still looking. So can you recommend what I should buy to study by? Can you also give out some patterns and advice here? Thank you, John
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Hello Malcolm,

When you play a sus2 chord, for example a Csus2 and then follow up with a parent chord, by parent chord do you mean the major C chord (3 note traid)?

What is the meaning of CAGED?

Thank you, John
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 AM

I just received a good link for strumming from Ryler. Here on Play Forum go to "Rhythm Guitar Question" post #11 by Ryler. I just downloaded the ten patterns including audio. I think they will be great for learning. john
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnra View Post
Hello Malcolm, When you play a sus2 chord, for example a Csus2 and then follow up with a parent chord, by parent chord do you mean the major C chord (3 note traid)?

What is the meaning of CAGED? Thank you, John
By parent chord. If we had Dsus2 then the parent chord would be D, just a plain ole D. The sus chords make a good ending to a song i.e. Dsus2, Dsus4, D - give it a try. Here is a chord generator http://www.looknohands.com/chordhous.../index_db.html
Notice you just move one finger.

Meaning of CAGED. CAGED is a barre chord system based upon the shape of the C chord, A chord, G chord E chord and the D chord. You make the chord shape and then just move that shape around the neck to form other chords. Using the D shape you get a D chord sound move that D CAGED shape up one fret and you get a D# chord sound. No one says you have to use all 5 shapes, pick a couple you like and see if they can help your playing. I use the A, E and D shapes, the C and G I find too hard so they are not part of my playing.
Google CAGED for more details. http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...q=CAGED+system The 10 minute video is a good place to start. Look at the Cyberfret.com site next.

Good luck,

Malcolm

Last edited by Malcolm; 07-16-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 PM

Hopefully others won't mind that i post this, we have a bunch of free lessons, including various rhythm and strumming patterns on our site, as well as a basic travis picking lessons. Perhaps you might find it helpful.

http://www.rhythmstrummer.com/free-stuff.php
Old 07-23-2009, 03:59 PM

I love using the basic "inside-outside" picking pattern (thumb-middle-thumb-index) because it just feels so smooth and you can get it up to speed really easily.

I also like playing anything with a basic 2-note bass line in 4/4 time. Lots of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write