The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-31-2019, 07:46 PM

Default Anyone using a ductless mini split heat pump for shed or out building?

Just purchased a "she shed" for my wife which now resides in my back yard. I'm pondering one of the ductless mini-split heating/cooling heat pump systems as it is a small (12' by 12' ft) space.

Anyone here have experience with them?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

My sister in law built a “she shed” last year that she uses as an art studio in her back yard. It’s 16’x 20’ and she installed a mini split that works perfectly for space conditioning in all seasons. She lives on the Colorado-Wyoming border.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Our house has three units. Just installing one at the beach house. Go Mitsubishi. We have two units that are Daikins, but the most recents are Mitsubishi units. Personally, I think they maintain temperature better. Also, make sure whoever installs the unit sets the drainage for the unit right, otherwise it will be spitting water out of the vent in AC mode.

The guy who installed our Daikins did a horrible job, and then went out of business. We were lucky to find someone who trouble shot the problem and then installed the other units.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

My 880 sq. foot cabin is heated and cooled by a mini-split. It does a great job cooling but heating below 32 degrees is fairly ineffective. That's when I rely on my wood stove....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 PM

Sounds like the way to go here in North Carolina where our winters aren't too awfully bad.

If I purchase the unit myself, can you give me some idea what it might run me for an HVAC person to install it?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 AM

I live in Virginia and had a Trane split unit installed in a 16 X 22 woodworking shop and love it. Super efficient. Hardly any impact on utility bills. Cost 4K to have it installed. I probably could have got it cheaper but a friend of mine owns a business and does outstanding work so I went with him.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
My 880 sq. foot cabin is heated and cooled by a mini-split. It does a great job cooling but heating below 32 degrees is fairly ineffective. That's when I rely on my wood stove....
Hey RP, your cabin is your home, and not a cottage, correct? I seem to recall you saying that a couple years ago. Beautiful spot, isn't it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic