The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2020, 06:50 AM

Default Question

I recently acquired a 1996 Taylor 815c in pristine condition. I love the way it sounds and plays and the neck feels great.

Problem is, I like having the option to play through an amp.

I have two acoustic pickups that go in the soundhole but I am not impressed with either of them. I have to crank my amp to really hear either of them through the amp.

Would you have an acoustic pickup installed or trade it for a CE of sorts?
Old 09-24-2020, 06:54 AM

What is the amp your using?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
What is the amp your using?

Usually my Egnater vengeance through my Marshall cab.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:51 AM

Need more info on the pickups. The soundhole pickups I've used have been magnetic, so in theory they should work with an electric (vs an acoustic) amp.

However, to get the most out of a mag pu you need ferromagnetic strings - nickel or steel. Typical bronze wound acoustic strings don't work as well. Also if your action is high and the strings are too far from the pu you won't get much signal at all. The signal strength weakens with the square of the distance (not a linear relationship).

If your pu's are passive piezo there's no way you'll get a decent output from an electric guitar amp without a preamp between the pu and amp.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Need more info on the pickups. The soundhole pickups I've used have been magnetic, so in theory they should work with an electric (vs an acoustic) amp.

However, to get the most out of a mag pu you need ferromagnetic strings - nickel or steel. Typical bronze wound acoustic strings don't work as well. Also if your action is high and the strings are too far from the pu you won't get much signal at all. The signal strength weakens with the square of the distance (not a linear relationship).

If your pu's are passive piezo there's no way you'll get a decent output from an electric guitar amp without a preamp between the pu and amp.
I have a Dean Markle Pro Mag Plus and a Seymour Duncan SA-1. The strings are bronze phosphorus. I didn’t even consider the strings being the issue.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:31 AM

You may want to consider an acoustic preamp. Generally, it'll make any acoustic guitar sound better, no matter what you plug into.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

If you want your guitar to sound "like an acoustic guitar", you're not gonna get there with the amp/cab you mentioned... just not gonna happen.

Unless you actually like the sound of your acoustic as more of an electric guitar sound, in which case I'd stay with your soundhole pickups and switch to strings that the magnet can evenly pick up... check out the GHS White Bronze strings; I used them with a mag pickup in my 12 string for some time and liked them a lot. Very even balance throughout...

"Normal" acoustic guitar pickups have a far wider response range than your typical electric guitar amp can reproduce accurately...

A good rule of thumb is: if you LOVE the way your acoustic sounds, then do NOT "trade it for a similar model with electronics"... acoustic guitars are far more individual than electric guitars (in my opinion), and you will find that two guitars of the same make and model with the same woods will sound different, sometimes dramatically so.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-24-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I like the es2 system. I’m sure Taylor would do a retrofit.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Ultratonic - just sayin’ -
Old 09-25-2020, 04:19 AM

the passive sound hole pickups need something to boost the signal
you could try an EQ or something like that.

but what others are saying.. you're not going to get a decent sound out of a standard guitar amp. They are just not voiced for this.

You need something "full range", most acoustic amps have a standard speaker, with a high end driver, (piezo or soft-dome tweeter) as well as being voiced to reproduce a more natural/neutral sound.

Pickups? Man, there are a ton of them out there. Ten people are going to give you 10 different answers..

I have three acoustics with the Fishman Infinity Matrix pickup. they're around $160, and probably run around 50 bucks to have someone install it. I use a Fishman Loudboox Artist, along with a tonedexter pre-amp. I'm very happy with the results.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
If you want your guitar to sound "like an acoustic guitar", you're not gonna get there with the amp/cab you mentioned... just not gonna happen.

Unless you actually like the sound of your acoustic as more of an electric guitar sound, in which case I'd stay with your soundhole pickups and switch to strings that the magnet can evenly pick up... check out the GHS White Bronze strings; I used them with a mag pickup in my 12 string for some time and liked them a lot. Very even balance throughout...

"Normal" acoustic guitar pickups have a far wider response range than your typical electric guitar amp can reproduce accurately...

A good rule of thumb is: if you LOVE the way your acoustic sounds, then do NOT "trade it for a similar model with electronics"... acoustic guitars are far more individual than electric guitars (in my opinion), and you will find that two guitars of the same make and model with the same woods will sound different, sometimes dramatically so.

I know how it should sound through the amp. I’ve had acoustic electrics in the past. I was just wondering got to get there with a non AE instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification