The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-20-2020, 04:45 PM

Cool Cordoba Humicase Serving Time

Hi. I've owned this case along with my C10 for about, oh..7.5 years and rarely if ever have I put the ax in it and gone outside with this particular instrument, ie...
Today in hot Los Angeles it's in my back seat of my old diesel Benz in the parking lot of my fave Cawfee hang in S. Pasadena...I went and got it but first went right to the Humi pad..I oped it up and pad was stiff as a stiff !!! I ran it under water til it got soft again (took some elbow grease)..I then squeezed it dry once more then allowed it to sop up water to its gills..I then dried entire unit off by unscrewing the inner landing-pad device, screwing the 2 back together, toweling it off as one unit and screwed it back into the case lid...
It's now still in my car as I'm not sure I'm into pluckin' around in public here at 3:30, me plopped down in a formed bucket chair in the courtyard shade....
The diff ?? The Humicase is supplying moisture likely preventing a crack....
Hey ! It's a C10 !! This baby seems bullet proof as it is !!
And just in case you don't know, C10s are, with the original suggested strings and action, L O U D, with deep bass.....
In another post I will tell the story of what I went thru and have finally concluded about strings/action/relief on a C10...M
Old 09-22-2020, 07:37 AM

Good to keep the pad moistened, but in this situation it's the heat and not the humidity that raises the risk of damage.

Your C10 case will sit quietly at your feet at the cough-free shop not unlike a trusty canine companion would, ready for play if you feel the urge.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:01 AM

Why take it out in California heat? Whats the gain?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Cordobas are lightly braced and have thin tops. That's why they are louder and more responsive than most. So I would imagine they may be more likely than some to crack or warp with greater temp/humidity changes.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
...Good to keep the pad moistened, but in this situation it's the heat and not the humidity that raises the risk of damage....
Agreed. I have a C10, and seems it's not anything near bullet-proof. But OP has one that is bullet-proof. How is this even determined, up until something goes wrong?
Old 09-25-2020, 03:47 PM

OK, maybe it isn't bullet proof...But on the same token I'm not going to go sit in direct sunlight with it...And true, I do have cheaper axes I could use. But this C10 is just so bold sounding it's hard to enjoy anything else I own..
....gue sera sera...Thanks for replies, M
Old 10-08-2020, 07:32 PM

One thing I'm sure Humicase owners agree on:
They are cheaply made with poor materials...The handle on mine is a horror show... Ends of simulated leather have torn away and a gooey black plastic mold inside slides in/out of ends toward end clamps..No other guit case I've ever owned gave me disintegrating handle problems..And the [only] 3 latches and grommets are fake-antiqued, cheapy Chinese metal...Inside the skin it seems it's heavy cardboard or foam; certainly not wood !!...
The Humi device itself is smart/passable, but the mounting/unmounting is tricky..
I Think the C10 and higher ups deserve a better made case..Cordoba should not have let this happen..M
Old 10-08-2020, 08:36 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'm pretty happy with mine, it's been around for 8 years or so and even when the luggage handlers at United abused it the guitar inside stayed safe and happy. It's not exactly a high-end guitar case, but I don't know if there's anything better out there for the budget-conscious classicist...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical