The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 06:39 AM

Default Guitar sounds dead and muffled after string change

I changed my strings but now the acoustic guitar sounds dead and muffled. Its very notice-able. Its like when you have a bad capo badly attached, its much quieter. Sustain seems ok though.

They are good quality Martin strings which I have used often in the past, light gauge as usual.

The other weird thing is that it has stayed in tune really well. I fitted the strings, stretched once, retuned and then they stayed in tune the rest of the evening. That's never happened before. I normally have to retune several times over the first few days, but it was perfectly still in tune even the next evening. I think this is somehow related to the problem.

The only thing I did this time different to normal was I applied a tiny amount of linseed oil to the nut (to prevent slipping/cracking noise when tuning) and also the bridge where ball end strings fit in.

Can it just be dodgy strings? They look fine, shiny and bright.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:55 AM

Could be a few things, I'd guess at bad strings only after checking other stuff. First, are the ball-ends seated correctly under the bridge? For the tuning being that good, I'd say quite likely so.

Have you got good break angle over the nut, ie are the strings winding down the tuning shafts rather than up?

What's the humidity where you are? Guitars get quite at about 60% usually, they'll muffle right down if they are too wet (and the belly usually bulges a bit, there are easy telltales).
Old 06-14-2019, 07:15 AM

I'm in UK so it not very humid however it has been very rainy for two weeks and I keep it on a hanger on the wall so it could be humidity maybe.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:18 AM

They should wake up in a day or two. You should keep your guitar in the case.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 AM

Does anyone have thoughts on the linseed oil? I've only heard to use graphite and only on the nut.
In my experience the Martin strings usually start out rather bright and then mellow.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 AM

The only thing I've ever used to lube the nut was graphite, ie: pencil lead from a mechanical pencil, which gets refreshed about once a year at a string change. I have never heard of using oil or grease of any kind there. Seems like oil would dry up pretty quickly.

If the tone changed with the string change, you might not have the set or alloy that this particular guitar likes. Or it could be excess humidity. The phrase "stuffed full of socks" gets used a lot to describe a damp guitar's sound. Or it could be a bad set of strings.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM

It might be humidity, but wait for a couple of days, they most likely will come alive!
Which strings? PB or 80/20? Coated or not?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 AM

My first thought is humidity, although if it already wasn't in the case and you played it within an hour between string changes it doesn't seem terribly likely.

I keep my guitars in their case w/ a humidpak, on particularly humid days they can start sounding muffled within 15 minutes or so if I have my windows open/no ac.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2 View Post
Does anyone have thoughts on the linseed oil? I've only heard to use graphite and only on the nut.
In my experience the Martin strings usually start out rather bright and then mellow.
Graphite works better. I'd never use any oil for that purpose.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mameha1977 View Post
I changed my strings but now the acoustic guitar sounds dead and muffled. Its very notice-able. Its like when you have a bad capo badly attached, its much quieter. Sustain seems ok though.

They are good quality Martin strings which I have used often in the past, light gauge as usual.

The other weird thing is that it has stayed in tune really well. I fitted the strings, stretched once, retuned and then they stayed in tune the rest of the evening. That's never happened before. I normally have to retune several times over the first few days, but it was perfectly still in tune even the next evening. I think this is somehow related to the problem.

The only thing I did this time different to normal was I applied a tiny amount of linseed oil to the nut (to prevent slipping/cracking noise when tuning) and also the bridge where ball end strings fit in.

Can it just be dodgy strings? They look fine, shiny and bright.
Linseed oil. There's your problem; it's acting as a damper. Frankly I'd leave linseed oil to cricket bats; it doesn't belong on a guitar.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't do that. Oil attracts dust and builds up crud over time. As it accumulates, you are effectively depositing abrasives in the nut slot, resulting in the exact opposite of what you want. A little bit of graphite, applied by running a fine pencil back and forth through the nut slots to lubricate the strings is all you need.

Also, if your strings crack and squeak in their nut slots, that is suggestive of the slots being in need of a re-file. I have found that the graphite should not be strictly necessary if the nuts are filed properly.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I believe Linseed oil, especially boiled or with additives is NOT a lubricant, but rather a wood/leather/etc. preservative which hardens when exposed to air. It’s used to seal and protect wood as it hardens, not a lubricant. I wouldn’t use it in the way you describe.

Last edited by gmel555; 06-14-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:12 PM

80/20 strings. Not sure what i normally use, i just get light strings.

I dont think the problem id the linseed oil, i used such a miniscule amount. Although that was the only thing i did different...not sure how it could possibly have such an impact.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:59 PM

The first thing I would do is establish exactly what strings you like on the guitar and stick with them. Simply changing to a new set of "light" strings doesn't exactly guarantee consistency.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Maybe try another brand?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion