The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2021, 06:50 AM

Default What to buy?

I have ~900-1000 USD/1000-1200 CAD

I am looking at getting a new acoustic guitar. I'm looking for a cutaway acoustic, Concert size or possibly dread. I want a nice couch/home guitar. I'm currently looking at the following, but I'm looking for recommendations.

Yamaha AC3
Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall
Alvarez AGE95CESHB Artist Elite
Fender PM-3 Tripple-O
Bridgeport BG400

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 10-20-2021, 06:54 AM
Runaway Tomato

Taylor 100 series guitars are excellent in that price range -
Former AGF Moderator
Old 10-20-2021, 07:00 AM

Eastman AC322CE - Sitka & mahogany, cutaway, pickup, all around nice guitar for just under $1k US.

Picture to come
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 10-20-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
Eastman AC322CE - Sitka & mahogany, cutaway, pickup, all around nice guitar for just under $1k US.

Picture to come
Old 10-20-2021, 07:10 AM

I'm on the verge of buying an Art and Luthrie Legacy- it's touted as being a bit smaller than a concert guitar- but IDK that for a fact. I has a solid Cedar top and laminate wild cherry sides and back which intrigues me and it has open tuners, which I have a weakness for- I have one offer made me with free shipping. They are made in Canada so that might be of interest to you as well.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/legacy
Old 10-20-2021, 07:16 AM

In that price range, there's a handful of options that I would consider:

1) Eastman-amazing all solid guitars that rival Taylor in sound, feel, and quality
2) Taylor-100/200/GS Mini series are all amazing. Solid tops, and their sides and backs are pressed wood, not plywood or laminate. It does color the sound. They hold value really well.
3) Yamaha AC3R/A3R, etc....I've owned two, and they are perhaps hte most slept on guitars ever. All solid construction, amazing electronics, and quality craftmanship. Perhaps my favorite smaller guitar of all time was the AC3M...dang I never should have sold it. It begged to be played.
4) Seagull Artist series...all solid woods and really cool company.
5) used 3xx or 4xx series Taylor...can never go wrong iwth a taylor

In this price range, you should be able to get an all solid wood guitar with what you're looking for with no problem. Good luck wiht hte hunt!
Old 10-20-2021, 07:45 AM

Keep em coming guys, great recommendations.

Eastman is not something I've ever looked into. Their 335 copies look and sound great from what I've seen, but I've never picked one up.

I have been looking at the Taylor 100/200 series. I got a Big Baby super cheap and I'm really impressed with the sound/playability. It's my play outside at camp guitar. The neck has a slight up bow that can only be remedied by loosening the truss rod almost all the way so I'm a bit worried about longevity (though it would be worst going the other way). I'll keep it alive as a beater anyways (bake that thing in a clamp if I have to).

As for the Yamaha AC3 series, its on the top of my list for a reason. I'm a huge fan of Yamaha! Seagull is also top of my list. I've had a few Godin family acoustics and they are always solid as a rock.

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-20-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: No profanity
Old 10-20-2021, 08:12 AM

In that price range, I'd be considering an Eastman, such as phydaux posted above, or a Breedlove, perhaps their Organic series, or the Alvarez Masterworks cutaway OM.

I have an Eastman E20SS that I love and I feel that it's a nice addition to a collection that includes mostly Gibsons, including two Gibson Custom Shop guitars.

The Breedlove Organic series has caught my eye lately, but you'll have to ask the Breedlove fans for more information. But I like the specs and the look of them. I'd like to try one.

I've had my eye on the Alvarez Masterworks cutaway OM for a long time. The Alvarez guitars that I have played have been nice guitars for the money, and that cutaway OM really appeals to me.

Also, on the Canadian side, Godin and subsidiaries make some nice guitars. I once owned a Seagull that I literally played the frets off of before trading it in on something else. I can't remember what I tradedbfor, that was about three decades ago. But you might want to look at the Godin stuff.

Good luck in your search, and I hope you find a gem!
Old 10-20-2021, 08:17 AM

Look into Eastman. I’m saving up for an AC422CE. It’s the rosewood version of the AC322CE. They are auditorium size, roughly the same interior volume of a dreadnought but more curvy, with a 25.4” scale length. All hand made. Ebony fingerboard, bridge, and bridge pins. Beautiful appointment too, particularly for the price. $980 US, and available on Amazon and other sellers like Chicago Music Exchange.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:25 AM

I would go with the Yamaha AC3R or an Eastman. I owned the Yamaha A1R for a while and it made my Taylor 414ce sound a little weak. Acoustically and plugged in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I bet the A&L Legacy is a great guitar.

Have fun on the hunt!

madhat.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:24 AM

I thought my AC3M was THE smaller bodied guitar until I setup my new (old) FSX730SCA. Anyway, the Red Label Yamaha FS models may be worth a look if you can find one.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I thought my AC3M was THE smaller bodied guitar until I setup my new (old) FSX730SCA. Anyway, the Red Label Yamaha FS models may be worth a look if you can find one.
I actually considered the new FS3. Certainly looks the part. I'm looking at a cutaway, but I'm not not looking outside of that (ahahha, GAS is a hell of a thing).

Old 10-20-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I would second the Eastman AC322CE. I had one for a few months and it was excellent. I only sold it to make room for my D-18. But honestly the 322 was right up there with the Martin. I have since acquired another Eastman, E2OM-CD, which is also very good. I would look used as they can be had for much less than new.
Taylor 100-200 is also good.
I would skip the Yamaha AC3 as I believe that's the one with the really short scale, unless that's what you like.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:50 PM

I also spent years looking for american (Taylor, Martin, Guild, Gibson) and
other (Larrivee, Yamaha and Eastman) stuff, while the answer was in Canada :
Godin's Seagull Performer will make you happy !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion