The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2021, 02:25 PM

Default LR Baggs VTC question

I have two J45’s and both have a factory installed VTC. One guitar has a bone saddle and the other tusk. The tusk saddle is waaay louder when amplified. The bone saddle is a bit higher and the tone is brighter and thinner. Does the saddle material make a difference in amplified volume? Thanks
Old 10-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Smile

I find that saddle material matters quite a bit with under saddle pickups, especially a braided material pickup like the LR Baggs Element. Different tone based on the material and fit of the saddle is expected. You might prefer bone in one guitar and TUSQ in another. My personal preference for an under saddle pickup is usually TUSQ. The fun part is that you get to decide which you like best.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

If you have shaved the bottom of the saddle at all on the bone... is it possible it's not even contact across?
Old 10-20-2021, 07:22 PM

I’m struggling a bit with the string balance of my Element VTC on my Southern Jumbo. It’s very bass heavy. I don’t dislike the overall tone of the Element in this guitar. It’s pretty natural and not as “quacky” as many describe. But I’ve got to dial down the lower frequencies on my mixer to make it work. It could be the bone saddle. I’m going to take it into the dealer that I bought it from and have their tech give it a listen and look.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
I’m struggling a bit with the string balance of my Element VTC on my Southern Jumbo. It’s very bass heavy. I don’t dislike the overall tone of the Element in this guitar. It’s pretty natural and not as “quacky” as many describe. But I’ve got to dial down the lower frequencies on my mixer to make it work. It could be the bone saddle. I’m going to take it into the dealer that I bought it from and have their tech give it a listen and look.
Ironically I’m the opposite. More trebles than bass tones with my bone saddle but the tone is growing on me in a live setting. The Tusq is more quacky in my opinion. The bone is woodier and more natural.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:57 PM

I keep putting off taking it in because the overall tone is fine. Probably just deal with dialing down the lower frequencies and leave as is. I won’t ever play where there isn’t a mixer that I can foresee.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification