The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2021, 06:02 PM

Finally got around to installing an Anthem SL in my second SC13E. Hardest part was getting the recessed nut around the end jack loose. Once I got that loose, the rest was relatively routine. You can’t really use the Anthem endpin jack s EQ though because if you reuse the same output jack, there’s not enough room for it. I just stuck the jack through the hole and tightened it up with one nut. This time I put the TrueMic behind the bridge plate, attached directly to the top, like JakeStone did. I also decided not to repurpose the battery compartment and just used the battery bag. It’s not a big deal since I only change the 9 volt battery about once every 6 months. Also this way I can put the original electronics back if there’s ever a reason to do so. Haven’t tried it at a gig yet, but will report back when I do.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:03 PM

I’m having some trouble with my anthem SL that I recently installed in my Martin SC 13e. I’m hoping that somebody out there can help me out. My issue is with the end pin and getting it secure. I’m reusing the same endpin hole from the plastic battery compartment of the original pick up system. I’ve only got the end pin piece secured with one washer on the outside and it’s coming loose every so often. The little plastic hall has a raise lip on it which prevents you from pushing the end pin any further and you also cannot put any washers on the inside where you normally would for some counter pressure. If anyone knows what I’m talking about and could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 01-22-2022, 03:40 PM

Pictures, please. :-)

_RP
Old 02-05-2024, 09:21 AM

thread revival!

just wondering in the Anthem is still the best option for SC13 or any of the SC body guitars? Has anyone tried anything other than the Anthem?
Old 02-05-2024, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I’m having some trouble with my anthem SL that I recently installed in my Martin SC 13e. I’m hoping that somebody out there can help me out. My issue is with the end pin and getting it secure. I’m reusing the same endpin hole from the plastic battery compartment of the original pick up system. I’ve only got the end pin piece secured with one washer on the outside and it’s coming loose every so often. The little plastic hall has a raise lip on it which prevents you from pushing the end pin any further and you also cannot put any washers on the inside where you normally would for some counter pressure. If anyone knows what I’m talking about and could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Jack did you ever figure this out? I have a Baggs Element in my SC10e and ran into the same issue as you with the 1 washer and nut. Every so often it becomes loose.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-05-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Jack did you ever figure this out? I have a Baggs Element in my SC10e and ran into the same issue as you with the 1 washer and nut. Every so often it becomes loose.
Yes....I hold one end with a pliers and use a ratchet wrench to tighten the nut. I can get it pretty tight that way.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes....I hold one end with a pliers and use a ratchet wrench to tighten the nut. I can get it pretty tight that way.
Great, thanks Jack.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-06-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Great, thanks Jack.
BTW I do this while the battery compartment is pulled out. I hold the round tube of the Anthem with the pliers and tighten the nut with the socket wrench. You can get it very tight that way.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Every pickup endpin has a small hole in the threaded part. You need to set the screws on the body of the endpin jack so that when the threads stick out of the body, that none of the rest of the body protrudes too. On the Go Acoustic Audio installation procedures, Paul McGill does a good job of showing that the body should be inset a small (1 mm) amount

Then you place the washer and tighten the nut tight to the body. And the way you keep the endpin from spinning while you tighten the nut is by sticking something (I use a #4 finishing nail) through the hole in the exposed threaded endpin part to hold it while you tighten the nut.

Last thing you do is put on the the final endpin cover screw. That can be tight or slightly loose without affecting the pickup.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Every pickup endpin has a small hole in the threaded part. You need to set the screws on the body of the endpin jack so that when the threads stick out of the body, that none of the rest of the body protrudes too. On the Go Acoustic Audio installation procedures, Paul McGill does a good job of showing that the body should be inset a small (1 mm) amount

Then you place the washer and tighten the nut tight to the body. And the way you keep the endpin from spinning while you tighten the nut is by sticking something (I use a #4 finishing nail) through the hole in the exposed threaded endpin part to hold it while you tighten the nut.

Last thing you do is put on the the final endpin cover screw. That can be tight or slightly loose without affecting the pickup.
Yes normally that is the case. But with the SC13e, there's very little room for the preamp jack to stick out so you have to make the best of it.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Yeah. I see now that the new Martin is unusual

On my Enya carbon Fiber guitar, I drilled a new hole near the endpin area for a new standard type pickup endpin. Currently there are 2 pickup systems in the guitar. 1) - Enya's UST with their internal preamp/battery/FX. 2) a Skysonic Mag/SBT/Mic pickup. I'm pretty sue I'm going to remove the Enya system as it's heavy. Plus I like the Skysonic good enough.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Yeah. I see now that the new Martin is unusual

On my Enya carbon Fiber guitar, I drilled a new hole near the endpin area for a new standard type pickup endpin. Currently there are 2 pickup systems in the guitar. 1) - Enya's UST with their internal preamp/battery/FX. 2) a Skysonic Mag/SBT/Mic pickup. I'm pretty sue I'm going to remove the Enya system as it's heavy. Plus I like the Skysonic good enough.
Yes with the SC13 there's just a bit of the endpin of the Anthem SL sticking out and you have to really tighten down that nut to make it secure. That is without drilling any extra holes in the guitar and reusing the existing battery compartment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification