The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Getting a "Player Grade" 023C for $2,300 from the Classifieds here fulfilled my desire for a Lowden at a price my retirement pension found affordable.
I'm very pleased.
Nice! Congrats!

Mine is a players grade O25c from 1999 and I really love it. I was just playing it this morning. Fantastic guitar.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:56 PM

I have an O32. Funny that a jumbo would excel so well in finger style. I hardly ever strum with it.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
This is not my first Lowden, but boy is the best one. A late '90s O32C, lefty of course, which was played extensively by someone who had done several hundreds gigs with it. It's more than played in and you can feel it. Hard to beat this one!

That's really lovely!
Old 07-02-2021, 01:03 PM

Question to Lowden owners who have an F32. I have an F32 12-string I got a few days ago and it arrived strung with D'Addario EJ39 phospjor bronze .12-.52.

The sound board is Sitka spruce the neck is mahogany and rose wood and the back insides are east Indian rose wood. Made in 2019.

This is my second Lowden. I also have the Pierre BenSusan Signature model F-35c 6-string. The sides for that are Honduras rose wood Soundboard is Adirondack And the neck is figured maple. It was made in 2010.

Unfortunately the F32 so far after a few days of playing it sounds dead. Compared to the PBSM, there isnt as much depth to the sound and the decay time is faster. I'm surprised at how dead it sounds compared to how full and powerful the PBSM6 string sounds. There is very little reverberation or vibration in the body when I am playing, unlike the PBSM. I'm really hoping that changing some strings on it to try different brands like elixir, Ernie Ball, DR etc. will give me better results.

Is the F32 a much lower quality instrument and terms of wood responsiveness? I'm trying to figure out what would make this new 12 string sound so dead compared to the older 6 string. I don't know if I'm gonna keep it but I have to try with different strings before I can say for sure. It lacks the punch of the Furch 12-string I bought, which was half the cost and is no larger. Though its better in others: cleaner sound, less muddiness, ergonomics are better, better overall quality of tone.

I am playing baroque/classical, Kottke, Fahey, and other fingerstyle music on it, so my assessment isn't based on strumming full chords but on playing that style. If I were just looking to strum open chords it would probably sound fine.

Last edited by Benjo; 07-02-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Question to Lowden owners who have an F32. I have an F32 12-string I got a few days ago and it arrived strung with D'Addario EJ39 phospjor bronze .12-.52.

The sound board is Sitka spruce the neck is mahogany and rose wood and the back insides are east Indian rose wood. Made in 2019.

This is my second Lowden. I also have the Pierre BenSusan Signature model F-35c 6-string. The sides for that are Honduras rose wood Soundboard is Adirondack And the neck is figured maple. It was made in 2010.

Unfortunately the F32 so far after a few days of playing it sounds dead. Compared to the PBSM, there isnt as much depth to the sound and the decay time is faster. I'm surprised at how dead it sounds compared to how full and powerful the PBSM6 string sounds. There is very little reverberation or vibration in the body when I am playing, unlike the PBSM. I'm really hoping that changing some strings on it to try different brands like elixir, Ernie Ball, DR etc. will give me better results.

Is the F32 a much lower quality instrument and terms of wood responsiveness? I'm trying to figure out what would make this new 12 string sound so dead compared to the older 6 string. I don't know if I'm gonna keep it but I have to try with different strings before I can say for sure. In some ways it's even inferior in terms of presence to the Furch 12-string I bought, which was half the cost.

I am playing baroque/classical, Kottke, Fahey, and other fingerstyle music on it, so my assessment isn't based on strumming full chords but on playing that style. If I were just looking to strum open chords it would probably sound fine.
I’m very happy with the tone of my F32. I think the build quality is excellent. I don’t think you can really judge it fairly until you have changed the strings.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:20 PM

Yes that is what I am hoping. Initial impressions are disappointed.
If this were my first Lowden I wouldn't understand what all the fuss is about.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I don’t think you can really judge it fairly until you have changed the strings.
^^^^
THIS!

You have no idea how long those D’Adds have been on the guitar, or how much they were played. It’s also possible that, if the guitar wasn’t played much in the recent past, it might have somewhat ‘gone to sleep’.

Put a new set of strings on the guitar (I’d choose Elixir Nano PBs or Newtone Masterclass PB, but it’s your choice, not mine) and play the snot out of it for a week or so. Then make your decision.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-02-2021, 01:34 PM

Thanks guys. That's the plan. I do have some New Tone sets but for 6-string.
Any heavier light gauge 12-string sets you can recommend? Ideally low tension strings in the .12-.52 range. Either NewTone or another brand?

The store did put those Daddarios on right before shipping it to me, so they shouldn't be dead.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. That's the plan. I do have some New Tone sets but for 6-string.
Any heavier light gauge 12-string sets you can recommend? Ideally low tension strings in the .12-.52 range. Either NewTone or another brand?
Apologies Benjo, the 12-string bit had flown straight over my head, I was thinking 6-string! No experience of 12-ers, but I’m sure others can and will chime in…

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 07-02-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Apologies Benjo, the 12-string bit had flown straight over my head, I was thinking 6-string! No experience of 12-ers, but I’m sure others can and will chime in…
No worries,and thank you for the suggestions
Old 07-02-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
The store did put those Daddarios on right before shipping it to me, so they shouldn't be dead.
I honestly find it hard to believe you have a dud Lowden just looking at the workmanship on my F32 (6 string). I certainly hope you don’t.

I will say my Lowden prefers strings that have settled for a few days, to my ear brand new strings are too jangly and bright, but I can’t imagine you’d describe the tone as dead even if it wasn’t to your liking. I use D’Addario EJ16s on mine.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:23 PM

Ha, me too.

The PBSM is the best sounding and playing guitar I've ever owned, so it set a very high bar of expectation for this F32 12-string. But the punch and the fullness isn't there in comparison. But I am going to give it at least a month of extensive 4-7 hour day playing with different types of strings before I make a judgement.

Think of it like this: this Lowden sounds like a flattened EQ with no punch along any spectrum of sound, whereas the PBSM is a nice V shape with serious body and some glimmering highs.

I will say this in the guitar in its favor: it sounds very clear so no notes get lost which is not the case with the Furch. So it has clarity and evenness and good intonation going for it.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Ha, me too.

The PBSM is the best sounding and playing guitar I've ever owned, so it set a very high bar of expectation for this F32 12-string. But the punch and the fullness isn't there in comparison. But I am going to give it at least a month of extensive 4-7 hour day playing with different types of strings before I make a judgement.

Think of it like this: this Lowden sounds like a flattened EQ with no punch along any spectrum of sound, whereas the PBSM is a nice V shape with serious body and some glimmering highs.

I will say this in the guitar in its favor: it sounds very clear so no notes get lost which is not the case with the Furch. So it has clarity and evenness and good intonation going for it.
Let us know how you get along. Wishing you the best of luck in getting your desired sound.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:06 PM

Thanks.

Just ordered a pack of New Tone .12-.51 strings to try.

Have any folks here used New Tones and if so, what do you like.about them?
Old 07-03-2021, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Just ordered a pack of New Tone .12-.51 strings to try.

Have any folks here used New Tones and if so, what do you like.about them?
I’ve used them a lot on the three Lowdens I’ve owned. All three guitars loved them. To my ears they have a very nice tone on a Lowden (although my Martins weren’t suited by them), and they last well for un-coated strings.

Just remember, don’t cut them until you’ve tuned them to pitch - the windings on round cores will slacken if you cut them before winding them up, and you’ll get ‘dead’ wound strings. No ‘Taylor Method’ with round-cores!

And apols if you already knew that! Good luck with your experiments!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion