The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Default My first YouTube video (it was fun!) but want a better camera...

Last night I began recording a new song, but halfway through recording it (I had planned mp3 format), I decided to record video of it. I've recorded video of myself before, just for reference on playing technique, etc., but never for public showing.

I wanted the recording to be kind of "gritty," so I used my laptop's built-in camera and mic to pick up everything, hence the audio clipping you'll hear throughout. I decided to match the audio with black-and-white, saturated video. I like the result, but didn't expect YouTube to reduce the quality as much as it did, so it somewhat overblows the effect I was going for.

The song is called "What Humanism Doesn't Understand," and it was inspired by a recent reading of "The Divine Comedy," mostly the portion of "Inferno." More specific, it was inspired by Dante's visit to the fifth level of hell, where the wrathful and sullen spend eternity. Like all of my songs, even if they're inspired by an outside source, the lyrics have a little bit of me in them. The song isn't meant to be preachy, just an observation of myself and the allegory within this specific part of the poem.

I would appreciate feedback on everything, if you care to share! I would also like to know: What webcam/cheap digital camera would you recommend for recording video, with emphasis on audio quality? Thanks, everyone!

Guitar: Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500ME with two-week-old D'Addario EXP16s

Prizefighters All!
What Humanism Doesn't Understand
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ogQ988hFM

Lyrics:
I believe I'm in beginning stages
Of awareness of my own sins
Of an empty, blank sulkiness
Of never-ending distress
While my brothers feed on each other
Tearing apart flesh and limbs
I realize we can find no joy
And without God there's emptiness

If my refusal to be awoken
Is what put me in this place
Then let me be buried forever
So that I'm out of the way

I'm trying to sing my songs
But I only form broken words
I'll forever gurgle at your feet
Knowing I'll never be heard
And as anger overcame them
In the lives they had before
They begin to bite their own bodies
Fueled by their wrathful cores

If my refusal to be awoken
Is what put me in this place
Then let me be buried forever
So that I'm out of the way

Brutal, vengeful and awful is all they'll ever be
Hopeless, sullen, withdrawn is what best describes me
"In weeping and in grieving," a man once said to me
"Accursed spirit, may you long remain"
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s

Last edited by skatalite; 06-14-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM

The biggest trick I've found to improve audio quality is to record on a separate system then synchronize the audio and video in post production.

The audio systems in consumer level video cams I've tried have all been afflicted by Automatic Level Control functions, noise, and frequency response limits.

If syncing in post seems too daunting, then a cam with a mic input is very useful. Being able to place a mic closer to the source reduces the impact of room effects.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Cool song - I really like your sound, you can always tell it's one of yours. The lyrics are great and very powerful words you use. I will have to read them more to understand exactly what you mean, though (I have never read Dante).

I agree with Mr. Guirdy - he gives good advice. Use your Zoom (which I thought you have?) to record the audio and then synch it with the video (and delete the camera's audio track).

That youtube has sometimes low-quality, you might want to take it a step further. Record you gutar on the Zoom in the best place in your house, then do the same with your singing. Put them together and mix it the way you want. Then set up the camera in the best place and lip-synch. You'll get the sound you want and be freer in how you make the video - you can film anywhere, and even do different locations.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 06-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Very powerful stuff. Do you plan on doing an audio only version? I'd like to here with your usual high quality audio.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

Actually, with a better guitar, this is perfect. The recording quality is a great match to the B&W video!! You have a crappy sounding guitar, what kind is it? Great video, you would have to pay thousands to get someone to do this for you, you hit it perfect!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The biggest trick I've found to improve audio quality is to record on a separate system then synchronize the audio and video in post production.

The audio systems in consumer level video cams I've tried have all been afflicted by Automatic Level Control functions, noise, and frequency response limits.

If syncing in post seems too daunting, then a cam with a mic input is very useful. Being able to place a mic closer to the source reduces the impact of room effects.

Fran
Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
Cool song - I really like your sound, you can always tell it's one of yours. The lyrics are great and very powerful words you use. I will have to read them more to understand exactly what you mean, though (I have never read Dante).

I agree with Mr. Guirdy - he gives good advice. Use your Zoom (which I thought you have?) to record the audio and then synch it with the video (and delete the camera's audio track).

That youtube has sometimes low-quality, you might want to take it a step further. Record you gutar on the Zoom in the best place in your house, then do the same with your singing. Put them together and mix it the way you want. Then set up the camera in the best place and lip-synch. You'll get the sound you want and be freer in how you make the video - you can film anywhere, and even do different locations.
Thanks for the input and reminding me I had my Zoom. I mean, I knew I had it, but I didn't think of seeing if it had a line out. And it does! So, instead of syncing up an extra audio track, I can just use the Zoom as the mic while the webcam does the video. I've never used the Zoom for such a purpose, so it hadn't occurred to me. But I tried it out and it works well. Just need to work on the level and I'll be good to go.

And thanks for the kind words about the song and lyrics. It's good to know you can tell a song is one of mine. I think that's something every songwriter strives for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Very powerful stuff. Do you plan on doing an audio only version? I'd like to here with your usual high quality audio.
Yes sir. Originally, it was just going to be audio but I decided to play around with the video recording. Glad I did, cause I can see where improvements need to be made, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Actually, with a better guitar, this is perfect. The recording quality is a great match to the B&W video!! You have a crappy sounding guitar, what kind is it? Great video, you would have to pay thousands to get someone to do this for you, you hit it perfect!
Hahaha harsh on the guitar, as it's a rather nice Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500ME. I think you're just hearing the recording quality and not the guitar itself, which is what I was going for. Tonight I plan on recording another song with a new method (live and learn) and I'll post it up so you can check it out.

But thank you for your input, and I do really appreciate the kind words about the video! It was easy to do: opened iMovie, hit record, recorded, then turned it to black-and-white, added a title and that's it!
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 AM

I liked it a lot, very gritty as you intended. I liked the sound of the guitar but the recording quality of the vocals could be improved. Overall, a great song!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM

I use a Flip Ultra video camera, works very well...............

Last edited by rlouie; 06-15-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM

I think the quality is good, but you need to know this, when you upload to Youtube, there is some kind compression that makes the voice sound like you were recording too "hot" on the voice mic. Your original probably sounds better, but great song, thanks for posting.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
I think the quality is good, but you need to know this, when you upload to Youtube, there is some kind compression that makes the voice sound like you were recording too "hot" on the voice mic. Your original probably sounds better, but great song, thanks for posting.
Thanks for the information! And the compliments
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 AM

I like the black and white effect

I agree with others... webcam and quality audio do not co-exist lol...

Word of warning...the world of video can lead to obsession lol...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell