The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-21-2006, 10:00 PM

Default Design me a home studio!

So, I kinda want a small studio in my house. Nothing too elaborate, but I do want the premium stuffs. I was thinking some sure Beta mics, a mackie 16+ channel mixer, and a nice pair of monitors, ect . SO if you had your choice on what exact things to buy what would it be? DESIGN ME A STUDIO!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:57 PM

What's your budget, because I can give ya a $200 suggestion all the way to a $10,000+ one .
Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 PM

I agree... it really depends on your budget, especially if you want quality gear. Do you want a computer based recording setup or a tape/DAW based system?
'99 Yanagisawa T991 Black Lacquer Tenor Sax
'82 Fender Rhodes Mark II Suitcase
'03 15" Apple G4 Powerbook
Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 PM

I'm thinking 5,000 budget. I want somthing spectacular but simple, and hopfully no tto harsh on the wallet
Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 PM

Well, first off I would suggest going the ProTools route via computer, what kind of computer do you have as of now? If you don't have a good computer, I would suggest going with a power mac G5, they start at about $2000. From there I would suggest going with the DigiDesign 002rack to interface with your computer, they run for $1200. You need to get some kind of mixer to hook up to the 002, the Allen & Heath MixWizard WZ3 14:4:2+ Mixer is great (I have used it before and is a great value) and runs about $1300. Now depending on if you have a good computer or not, you have about $500 without the computer and $2500 if you have a computer. If you don't have a computer then I will have to make some differnt suggestions because $500 is not going to be enough to get you some good mics and monitors, let me know if you have a computer, because if you do then you are still good to go and I can make some mic suggestions (what all do you plan on recording, just guitar and vocals and some string stuff?).
Old 03-23-2006, 12:28 AM

I have multipul computers actually. I have a macbook pro (2ghz , 2gbs ram) and a desktop (athlon64 3200+ , 1gb ram)
Old 03-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp612
So, I kinda want a small studio in my house. Nothing too elaborate, but I do want the premium stuffs. I was thinking some sure Beta mics, a mackie 16+ channel mixer, and a nice pair of monitors, ect . SO if you had your choice on what exact things to buy what would it be? DESIGN ME A STUDIO!
A few more questions:

1) What are you planning to record?

2) What's the maximum number of channels you will record simultaneously?

3) Describe the room(s) you will be using for your stuio (i.e., dimensions, shape).
Old 03-23-2006, 05:16 AM

Tell us about the location of your proposed studio? How high are the ceilings? What is the shape of the room? What are the walls made of? Describe the floor. Describe the ceiling. There's the control room where all that gear will go, and the studio where you'll actually record. Both must be sonically addressed, but especially the studio.

max
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM

I agree with most of the suggestions so far. Pro Tools is an excellent route to take if you are going computer based because the fact that it is tied to Digidesign hardware means it can handle a much better work load than other multitrack software that rely more on the computer's processor. However, unless you need to record more than 4 tracks simulanteously, I don't think you would need an additional mixer since the 002 has 4 mic-pres and 4 additional line level inputs in it already. If you do want more mic channels, I would be more inclined to get an additional mic pre unit. Some affordable ones by presonus, focusrite (octopre), the M-Audio Octane, or Studio Projects can be had. Since you already have computers, I would suggest the 002Rack Bundle which will be closer to 1500 but give you some plugins that are well worth the extra $300. One big advantage going Pro Tools for you is that the software and hardware will be easily compatible with both your Mac and PC computers which you may or may not get with other software. I have heard excellent things about the Tannoy Active reference monitors which are $500/pr so I would pick up those as well. so the 002, monitors, and mic-pres will come to around $2500ish. That leaves 2500 for mics.... you have many options for mid-level mics and a couple options for sweet mics. I would get a nice large diaphragm condenser for vocals and I wouldn't skimp out on this one cause you'll regret it if you do. Check out some of the lower end Neumann mics (i.e. TLM127, etc) for something around $1000. I have a Studio Projects T3 that you can get at Sweetwater for $500 that I have been very pleased with. Don't be scared off by the price too, cause it over-exceeded all of my expectations when I test drove it. One nice thing about that mic is that it's power supply has a toggle knob that allows you to choose from 9 different pickup patterns from Omni to Cardioid to Figure 8 and everything in between. If you're looking at doing drums, pick up a Shure Beta52 for kick, and a handful of Beta57s as well for snare and toms and then some small diaphragm condensers for Overheads such as AKG C451s, AKG C414s, etc. I also love my AKG C451s and Shure SM81s for acoustic recording such as guitar, piano, strings, etc.

I realize this post is long but bear with me because I went through the exact same situation you're going through now so I really want to shed some light from my experiences. One other suggestion is to get from sweetwater the Auralux Producer Pack which is a set of different types of isolation foam for mic stands, studio monitors, and also a bass trap which isolates amps from floor noise. That pack is only about $120 and well worth the price.

Also, just remember, when you're getting all your toys, don't forget that you have to get cables to run them too that those costs add up a lot quicker than you might think.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

-- Jeffrey
'99 Yanagisawa T991 Black Lacquer Tenor Sax
'82 Fender Rhodes Mark II Suitcase
'03 15" Apple G4 Powerbook

Last edited by studio_guru; 03-23-2006 at 11:40 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell