The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 10:04 PM

If Martin's D-18 and 28 are any indication, then yes. The two sound nothing alike.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 PM

I tend to prefer playing rosewood guitars but have generally use hog for recording with dreds. I have a Martin 000 in rosewood that records great. I think the smaller body and rosewood go well together. I also have a Pinkham dred in rosewood that is also a great recording guitar. It is very even and balanced and no frequencies stick out.

I find rosewood guitars to be richer in harmonics generally. Hog seems drier in tone and sometimes that is a good thing. Everyone hears differently and what appeals to one person might not appeal to another.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
It is all BS to me.
You mean ... B & S?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
If Martin's D-18 and 28 are any indication, then yes. The two sound nothing alike.
This exactly. Get yourself to a guitar store that have both in stock, sit down and play them back to back. You will immediately understand the tonal differences, make your choice based on what you like to hear.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
It is all BS to me.
No it is not. And you can actually verify this for yourself by recording notes on both and then comparing them with a frequency analysis tool (like PAZ from Waves e.g., or better still finer tools from e.g. Vienna Symphonic Library). You can then clearly see that the Mahogany guitar has a strong fundamental and weaker overtones whereas the Rosewood one has more overtones.

Larrivee D10 (2003)
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce (2018)
Martin HD28V (2014)
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 12-string (2016)
Taylor GSmini-e Rosewood (2014)
Gibson J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst (2016)
Ovation Custom Elite CE778 (2002)
Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman2 View Post
No it is not. And you can actually verify this for yourself by recording notes on both and then comparing them with a frequency analysis tool (like PAZ from Waves e.g., or better still finer tools from e.g. Vienna Symphonic Library). You can then clearly see that the Mahogany guitar has a strong fundamental and weaker overtones whereas the Rosewood one has more overtones.
You did catch the little wink, didn't you? On a mahogany guitar having a stronger fundamental, it all depends on how it was braced. I could brace one to have less fundamental. And some say that the mahogany has more mids while the rosewood like guitars have a scooped sound. A little change in top bracing can achieve either. But yes, a rosewood like wood will have some more ringing to the upper frequency range if it is allowed to. More of the sound coming from the back. Nut if you play with a strap and the back up against you, not so much.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

...what I hear consistently between the two is that Rosewood has some natural compression that smooths out the midrange and highs....especially when you lay into the guitar...Mahogany has more bark to my ears that can border on brash when you dig in...
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

In my experience there is a difference but it is mostly determined by the luthier and what they want to achieve sonically with either wood choice. I have two wonderful rosewood guitars and have recently ordered a guitar with mahogany back and sides. The luthier and I spent time discussing what I was seeking in terms of tone and response and what I wanted that is different from the guitars that I already enjoy. If you can managed it, it is great to have a guitar that has more fundamental and one that has more overtone content. And, a big factor in both is the player, their technique, and how well they learn how to bring out what the guitar has to offer. A lot of variables can change the general perceptions and experience of either choice.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-22-2019, 10:07 AM

I have a d-18 and a d-28, however, one has scalloped bracing and the other straight, so they can't really be compared in this context. Imo since rosewood is a harder wood, it probably reflects the sound waves more, which would account for the increased harmonics and reverb-like airiness.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Probably 100 guitars have flowed through my hands over the last decade (yes, I do have a commitment problem...), but all ten acoustics I own currently are either spruce/hog or all hog.

I have tried and tried to bond with rosewood guitars, many of them from excellent builders, but it has never happened.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 05-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Its not a one or the other argument. It’s about experiencing and enjoying the best the industry has to offer. So, you really gotta have at least one of each. It’s like eating....I like both steak and lobster. Why should I unnecessarily deny myself one of them?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:42 AM

I have 2 Martin OMs - a rosewood and a mahogany. Same builder, same body size, same scale length. For me as a player, there's a big difference. I think of the Rosewood like a single coil strat (cleaner, brighter) and the mahogany like an LP humbucker (thicker, warmer). The Rosewood also has more volume and bass response.

I like them both very much. I'd probably save the Mahogany from a burning building.

Any listener who isn't a guitar nerd wouldn't notice the difference.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You did catch the little wink, didn't you? On a mahogany guitar having a stronger fundamental, it all depends on how it was braced. I could brace one to have less fundamental. And some say that the mahogany has more mids while the rosewood like guitars have a scooped sound. A little change in top bracing can achieve either. But yes, a rosewood like wood will have some more ringing to the upper frequency range if it is allowed to. More of the sound coming from the back. Nut if you play with a strap and the back up against you, not so much.
So sorry, did not notice it. Also, all I did was test my own guitars and came to the findings as stated. Allguitars were played in the same way and the difference was quite clear.

Cheers, Bob

Larrivee D10 (2003)
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce (2018)
Martin HD28V (2014)
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 12-string (2016)
Taylor GSmini-e Rosewood (2014)
Gibson J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst (2016)
Ovation Custom Elite CE778 (2002)
Old 05-22-2019, 04:32 PM

Life is short get one of each

Last edited by Bridgepin; 05-22-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:22 PM

Mahogany is fine for back and sides - if you can't afford Rosewood.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion