The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default New Transcribe user

Not bad. I bought it last night to use as a looper for practice. The only thing I would like to be able to do is to type in the playback speed instead of the slider button, but I'm getting used to it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Not bad. I bought it last night to use as a looper for practice. The only thing I would like to be able to do is to type in the playback speed instead of the slider button, but I'm getting used to it.
You can do that in the "Audio Effects and Controls" window (Window > Audio Effects and Controls). You can type in the playback speed as a per cent value.

One thing I found useful was to get a foot pedal and program it to slow down and speed up songs or loops without having to take my hands off my guitar.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post

One thing I found useful was to get a foot pedal and program it to slow down and speed up songs or loops without having to take my hands off my guitar.
I did not know you could use pedals with Transcribe. I see on the site that the AirTurn pedals can be programmed for use with Transcribe.

Off to tackle that setup.

D
Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I did not know you could use pedals with Transcribe. I see on the site that the AirTurn pedals can be programmed for use with Transcribe.

Off to tackle that setup.

D

I'm using the Infinity IN-USB-2, but the AirTurn looks good--I like the idea of not having a chord or using up a USB port.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I'm using the Infinity IN-USB-2, but the AirTurn looks good--I like the idea of not having a chord or using up a USB port.
I think the Airturn needs the Bluetooth dongle.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think the Airturn needs the Bluetooth dongle.
Hmm, I did not see any evidence of that requirement; maybe you would only need a Bluetooth dongle for older versions of Windows?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

My Airturn Duo BT-106 works fine with my Surface and it's built-in Bluetooth.

I do have an older laptop that I've had to use a BT dongle on in the past. Have not tried the Duo on that machine just yet, but will be now.

D
Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 AM

I am tempted to try this. But don't like spending time learning computer programs. The only thing I would use it for would be to loop a bar or two that I am trying to learn while slowing it down. My windows media player has a decent slow downer in it, but I don't think it allows you to just repeat a section.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I am tempted to try this. But don't like spending time learning computer programs. The only thing I would use it for would be to loop a bar or two that I am trying to learn while slowing it down. My windows media player has a decent slow downer in it, but I don't think it allows you to just repeat a section.
That's what I use it for. It retains decent clarity when it slows down, you just get a slight reverb quality in the play back.

I actually used it to record a sound clip yesterday as well. That's convenient when you want to practice then analyze what you're doing.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-20-2019, 06:08 PM

Don't know if you guys have tried using it on youtube videos but combined with another program (free) you can upload a vid. and the video will play at what ever speed you choose in conjunction with the sound.

The last couple songs I learned this way off Y.T. One had the tab, one didn't but they both had the camera focused on the guitar.

Just added information to be able to see fingerings and such slowed down (if they are showing it in the vid of course) while you are trying to listen/figure out the notes.

I love it!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post
Don't know if you guys have tried using it on youtube videos but combined with another program (free) you can upload a vid. and the video will play at what ever speed you choose in conjunction with the sound.

The last couple songs I learned this way off Y.T. One had the tab, one didn't but they both had the camera focused on the guitar.

Just added information to be able to see fingerings and such slowed down (if they are showing it in the vid of course) while you are trying to listen/figure out the notes.

I love it!
The version of Microsoft Media Player I have on my computer will slow down youtube videos while compensating for pitch. It won't loop sections of the video, however.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Cool!

If I knew I could do that on my computer I'da tried it. I looked for a media player - haven't found it yet.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:35 PM
Get off my lawn kid

In the past I would have to put a section that was giving me a hard time note by note into GuitarPro manually and use it like GuitarHero, lol. This will save me time.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I am tempted to try this. But don't like spending time learning computer programs.
Me neither!
That's one reason I was so impressed when I first got Transcribe (well over 10 years ago). It was the most transparent, intuitive interface of any software I'd used. No superfluous bells and whistles, zero bloating.
In the intervening years he has added one or two extra sophistications, but the basic operation is still really simple. You can easily ignore the stuff you don't need.
Quote:
The only thing I would use it for would be to loop a bar or two that I am trying to learn while slowing it down. My windows media player has a decent slow downer in it, but I don't think it allows you to just repeat a section.
YouTube also now has a slowdown function - to 3/4 or 1/2 speed while still retaining the audio at the same pitch. But again it's not easy to loop (although the arrow keys help nudge the track back and forth).

Transcribe makes that kind of manipulation easy - and it does a whole lot more too, of course. For stereo tracks, it lets you remove anything panned dead centre - which is usually lead vocal, which can make guitars etc clearer. For any short selection of a track (one beat or less) it will show frequency peaks helping you identify a chord. If you find it hard to hear the bass, you can raise the pitch by an octave, making the bass stand out clearly.

Transcribe will even work with youtubes - if you want finer manipulation than youtube itself offers - but you need to download and convert the youtubes into MP4 using other software, which is a pain. But you do get a nice additional video window with a slider that puts the audio in sync with the video when necessary.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
ranscribe will even work with youtubes - if you want finer manipulation than youtube itself offers - but you need to download and convert the youtubes into MP4 using other software, which is a pain. But you do get a nice additional video window with a slider that puts the audio in sync with the video when necessary.
Working with youtube downloads is important to me as that is what I work with now. I download the youtubes with "Realdownloader" the downloading program from Real Player. Then I open them with Mediaplayer to use the slow down function. It looks like the realdownloader does save them in MP4.

I think I will give Transcribe a try, though it may be a few days before I get around to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write