The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Guest 728

As a songwriter who writes in several genres, including blues, rock, folk, country, and ambient, I can play in a lot of styles. But I consider myself to be a journeyman musician overall, and strive to be well-rounded and competent, rather than virtuosic.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 PM

I play in several genres, all old (or old-sounding), all acoustic, 90% fingerpicked. I am more "competent" than "good" and do, they say, have my own melody-centric style. No interest at all in rock. No interest in playing jazz and swing, though I like to listen to it. Ditto for Hawaiian, classical and flamenco.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 PM

Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass guitar. I like to keep my options open.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I try to be decent with most everything, but love melodic modern finger style best and think it will always be my main focus for personal enjoyment and original composition.

I think Skip mentioned the more you know the more you work and he couldn't be more correct. For my cover gigs and retirement home gigs I do anything from James Taylor to Bossa Nova to Led Zeppelin to Stevie Ray Vaughan... I love Celtic style stuff a la Tony McManus but I haven't quite gotten the hang of the trills and offbeat phrasing. I also haven't delved into the two handed tapping like Michael Hedges and Billy McLaughlin. One day, soon.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Fairly early on I decided I wanted to aim broadly with my playing. When asked what I played circa 1980 I said "fretted string instruments" even though my skills on other than guitar were totally naïve (and my skills on guitar, rudimentary). I know a little bit more now (less than I should) and I've added fretless bass and one-handed keyboards to things I'll attempt, and I've stopped trying to collect cheap non-guitar string instruments and instead use virtual instruments and a MIDI guitar interface.

As a "musical instrument operator," I doubt this has helped--though you do learn some things on one instrument that can inform how you play another. As a composer/music maker I think it has helped, as the range of colors and textures I can supply is broader, and I enjoy that.

So just in the guitar family I'll play acoustic (nylon or steel strung), electric, 12-string, high-strung, baritone, bass guitar, slide (bottleneck and lapstyle), Ebow/Sustainer, and the things that MIDI guitar can do.

That list sounds more impressive than it is. For on thing, sometime in the late 20th century I dropped working on finger picking and concentrated on using a flat pick on nearly everything (I will play bass with my thumb sometimes, but that hardly counts). For one thing, my slide playing and banjo would be improved if I stuck with it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write