The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Locking Tuners on a Cargo

I like locking tuners on my electrics for ease of string change. Decided to try the concept today on my Cargo. It had Hipshot open gear tuners, now it has Hipshot locking tuners. I selected these simply because they were a direct fit drop in, no need for any drilling or redrilling. Just a little patience required, and a few simple tools. Too early to know yet how this will work out. Anybody else try this?
Steve
Old 09-08-2018, 08:02 PM

I hope you have good results. Personally, I've never changed out the tuners on any guitar and never used locking tuners. The OEM Hipshot machines are pretty good - smooth and accurate. Educate me please on why you made the change?
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I hope you have good results. Personally, I've never changed out the tuners on any guitar and never used locking tuners. The OEM Hipshot machines are pretty good - smooth and accurate. Educate me please on why you made the change?

Hello Earl

Up until about three years ago, I never changed any tuners either. At that point, I bought myself a PRS S2 Mira which came with locking tuners. It was amazing to me how much simpler and quicker string changes were. So I changed a another electric with good results, with one more yet to do. Started thinking it might be worth a try for acoustics. I have a CA OX and the Cargo. Don’t want to drill the headstocks and haven’t found drop in replacements yet for the OX, but changed the Cargo’s tuners today. Just personal preference as I don’t play out, and if they don’t work out I can go back to the stock tuners.
Steve
Old 09-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info, Steve. Per classes I once took with David Wilcox, I always use several wraps around the post to get the string bending around a larger radius of the capstan. I use several alternate tunings and this trick helps a lot -- I've had zero string breakage since starting to do this, even through multiple retunings. A locking tuner cannot accommodate the extra wraps, correct?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Thanks for the info, Steve. Per classes I once took with David Wilcox, I always use several wraps around the post to get the string bending around a larger radius of the capstan. I use several alternate tunings and this trick helps a lot -- I've had zero string breakage since starting to do this, even through multiple retunings. A locking tuner cannot accommodate the extra wraps, correct?

Earl

I think you could do some wraps, depending on the tuners. The Hipshots I put on the Cargo could accommodate it and I did one wrap on the thin E. But doing multiple wraps sorta defeats the purpose, at least for me.

Steve
Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Some early Emeralds had looking tuners...I like them
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-09-2018, 02:36 AM

My Journey OF660 has Gotoh locking tuners which required nothing other than swaping out. Screw holes were in the identical place of the original Grovers.

Since Gotoh's work by having a rounding pin squeeze the sting tightly against another metal surface, after tuning up, I just twist or spin the remaining string till it breaks off from metal fatigue at the post. That leaves an utterly clean tuner post with no sharp string end to snag, catch or cut.

I do insert the string in such a way that a portion of the string wraps half-way or fully around the post so that when tuning or using other alternative tunings, the string is not bending back and forth right at the post hole where the bend is sharp. Instead, any bending movement back and forth is over the roundness of the pin itself, not just at the hole. Right at the hole the string remains stationary.

It works well for me, and as a bonus, the look of the Gotohs on the Journey brings more balance to the overall look of the this particular guitar, IMO. I also replaced the heavier metal Gotoh buttons with lighter ebony buttons that didn't cost much at all.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:51 AM

AC,

Can you advise which particular model of Gotoh you ordered? I am concerned due to the small head size of the Journey, and very hard to tell looking at your pics and then the Gotoh catalog.

The appeal of changing with an identical screw hole makes so much sense and I'd like to do the same to my OF660.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 09-09-2018, 06:04 AM

AC,

Can you advise which particular model of Gotoh you ordered? I am concerned due to the small head size of the Journey, and very hard to tell looking at your pics and then the Gotoh catalog. From a search the only one I could come up with was Gotoh SGL510Z-EN01-B HAP-M but that is regular not mini and didn't think it would fit.

The appeal of changing with an identical screw hole makes so much sense and I'd like to do the same to my OF660.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 09-09-2018, 06:16 AM

showing off your double post skills I see must be an above our border thing,,, anyway those tuners do look really good on the Journey.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 AM

It's a canuck thing...

...learned how to do that at the Department of Redundancy Department.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
It's a canuck thing...

...learned how to do that at the Department of Redundancy Department.
They ride horses there? My Canadian Gumby and Pokey say Hey.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
AC,

Can you advise which particular model of Gotoh you ordered? I am concerned due to the small head size of the Journey, and very hard to tell looking at your pics and then the Gotoh catalog.

Thanks,

Robert
-----------------
You can see quite a bit of detail in the closeup photos. I have every feature they offered, but realized later that I really had NO need for posts that also adjust in height. I don't know what the model code is for that, but I would recommend everything except that feature. I simply put them as low as they could go and then they are normal Gotohs.

But the model code is exactly what you see in the photo below and this code includes the post height adjustment in it somewhere: (photo of the box they came in).

You can email the photo to whomever you buy from and just tell them you want this--but not with the adjustable post--unless you want it. I don't think it really cost much more at the time--I forget. I just go for less moving parts whenever possible.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 PM

Thanks for adding the pic of the package AC, that helps. Turns out they are the regular side 510s, go figure.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
They ride horses there? My Canadian Gumby and Pokey say Hey.
Hmmm...we're about due for a Gumby and Pokey shot, maybe with a Padauk stringed thingy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber