The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Emerald X7-OS strings

I've had my X7 for a little while, and really, really like it. Any recommendations on strings? It has whatever was on it when I got it. Playability is most important as I have arthritis in my fretting hand. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 PM

If playability is a concern then I would suggest Newtone double wound PB 12-52 or 11-52

They are round core and I have never played any strings with better playability than round core strings.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-30-2016, 03:24 AM

I'm using 11s on my X7, I changed them within a few hours from the original 12s and I don't think there was any noticeable loss of tone or volume. I reckon 10s would not compromise the sound much either, worth a try for sure. I also tried a slight truss rod tweak but put it back as, while it did lower the action/relief slightly, it did compromise clarity a little.

I'm going to try the 12s again when I restring it just to be sure they don't sound better but I think I'll end up with 11s.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 05-03-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post
I've had my X7 for a little while, and really, really like it. Any recommendations on strings? It has whatever was on it when I got it. Playability is most important as I have arthritis in my fretting hand. Thanks.
Hi John,

We're delighted to hear you are enjoying your X7. The gauges we put on the X7 are .012, .016, .026, .036, .046, .056 and the brand we use in-house is D’Addario! The folks here on the forum may have recommendations on strings they have put on their X7s and enjoyed, too. We hope this helps!

Best Wishes,

Sean @ Emerald Guitars HQ
Old 05-03-2016, 06:31 AM

Hi John, in addition to strings option, a lowering of the saddle height will also improve playability. Try it.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 AM

If you'd like to play with the action, I'd recommend giving Michael a call at http://www.macnichol.com/. He can provide you will a beautiful bone saddle to just your specifications for your Emerald.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi John,

We're delighted to hear you are enjoying your X7. The gauges we put on the X7 are .012, .016, .026, .036, .046, .056 and the brand we use in-house is D’Addario!

Sean @ Emerald Guitars HQ
Sean, may I humbly recommend you add this info to the FAQ section of your website? I was looking for this exact info earlier today.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-04-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Sean, may I humbly recommend you add this info to the FAQ section of your website? I was looking for this exact info earlier today.
No problem at all, John!

We are actually in the process of building a brand new website, which we are really excited about and will be unveiling soon. In the meantime, I will post those details to our old FAQ section for sure! Have fun with your new X7!

Thanks

Sean
Old 05-04-2016, 06:13 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations, and Sean, thanks a lot. I didn't expect to hear from Emerald. It really means something to me that the guitar-maker responds, and makes the time and cares enough to respond. That speaks volumes. Again, thanks.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 AM

Try the Martin Retros. My favorite strings on my Emerald T8.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations, and Sean, thanks a lot. I didn't expect to hear from Emerald. It really means something to me that the guitar-maker responds, and makes the time and cares enough to respond. That speaks volumes. Again, thanks.
You are more than welcome, John! We are here any time we can assist you!

Best wishes from all the team,

Sean
Old 05-06-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Hi John, in addition to strings option, a lowering of the saddle height will also improve playability. Try it.
My X7 came pretty much perfectly set up, I discovered this when I tried a truss rod tweak to get the action a little lower, I quickly returned it to standard (the next step would be to shave the bridge but.......). Lowering the action will always improve playability but, if the guitar is well set up like the X7, it will almost always compromise the tone. If you are a fingerpicker or gentle strummer then a mill or so off the bridge might be just the thing but if you like to dig in then leave it alone.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 05-06-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
....a lowering of the saddle height will also improve playability....
Always start with a new saddle or nut and modify it, keeping the original intact and unchanged. Being able to easily restore the original condition is valuable. Ask me how I learned this the hard way.......
Old 05-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Always start with a new saddle or nut and modify it, keeping the original intact and unchanged. Being able to easily restore the original condition is valuable. Ask me how I learned this the hard way.......
+1
those of us who do our own setups have learned this lesson rather quickly-and the hard way(lol). and scribble on the bottom of the original saddle the instrument it goes too, after a while, a couple saddles together in your instrument tool box all start looking alike.

I usually put the original in the hardshell compartment, then if and when I sell the instrument, the new owner has my "low" action saddle, and the original

d
Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 PM

Brand new to the CF world and have spent hours looking and trying to educate myself a bit before jumping into the whole thing. Of all the web sites and demos and guitars I have looked at the little X7 is stuck in my mind as possibly what I am after. One feature I really like is the bevel built into the top as my arm is always being pressed by the sharp edge on guitars.
Love the video of the Session in Ireland, what a beautiful place and wonderful people.
The other video with the custom builds is just amazing, just beautiful colors and custom work,,,outstanding!
I do believe this will be my next guitar, 24" is about a .9 shorter scale than i would like but I'm sure I'll adapt back and forth from my 24.9 same 2 1/4 spacing that I like.
Glad I took time to check Emerald out,,,,,,,,,,,Jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber