The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 AM

Default Strat wont tune!

Arghh! this is driving me mad, My strat wont tune correctly,

It tunes up just fine but the strings are really loose/Floppy, Like an octave low, i have had a couple or E's snap by trying to tune it up right!

When i got the guit i had to tune her up and i got this problem, i thought maybe manky string so i swapped them out for a new set of D'Addario 10's and the same problem!

Ive swapped the tuners over too and the bridge, not that.. Cant think what it could be!

Although i have read that it could be that the strings are too light, but its a standard strat and should be fine on 10's

TLDR? Guitar wont tune, strings really floppy like an octave low or something, tried new strings/different tuners and bridge.. no avail HELP!

Fender Classic player strat
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 AM

Do this for us please:

1. Take off the big plate on the back.
2. Look inside and look at the metal block with the six holes with SPRINGS on it. (The bottom side if your trem system)
3. Tell us how many springs you have.

As a minimum you should have three springs. Some guys like to put five in there (I did).

IF you have three you might need to tighten the screw INTO the body more.
There is a plate thats at the other end of the springs held back by a big screw. By tightening that INTO the body you'll add more tension on the springs.

How old is this guitar? Do you use the Trem System alot? What I'm getting at is the springs might need to be replaced.

One alternative if you don't use the trem...ever. Is to BLOCK the Block. You can wedge some wood into the gap between the block and body (Opposite the side of the springs)

Hope that helps...let us know.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutFiddler View Post
Do this for us please:

1. Take off the big plate on the back.
2. Look inside and look at the metal block with the six holes with SPRINGS on it. (The bottom side if your trem system)
3. Tell us how many springs you have.

As a minimum you should have three springs. Some guys like to put five in there (I did).

IF you have three you might need to tighten the screw INTO the body more.
There is a plate thats at the other end of the springs held back by a big screw. By tightening that INTO the body you'll add more tension on the springs.

How old is this guitar? Do you use the Trem System alot? What I'm getting at is the springs might need to be replaced.

One alternative if you don't use the trem...ever. Is to BLOCK the Block. You can wedge some wood into the gap between the block and body (Opposite the side of the springs)

Hope that helps...let us know.
Hi, i tried adding more springs also tried tightening the whole unti down as tight as i dare without it stripping the threads

The guitar is approx 5 years old, Not too sure as it has had a replacement neck.

The trem arm has actually been snapped off by a previous owner, So the threads are still stuck in the hole.

I have tried a bridge from a Yamaha strat copy that i have lying around and it was still the same, i will try blocking it today though.

Cheers

Fender Classic player strat
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Three springs should be more than capable of holding against 10 gauge strings. With the guitar at concert pitch and the springs tightened, there should be little to no gap between the bottom of the bridge plate and the body. As far as too light a string, that string gauge is my favorite and they feel very flexible and light when playing. It almost feels like no string at all compared to the mediums on my acoustic. It takes far less tension to tune the lighter strings. Try a set of 11 or 12 gauge strings and see if the feel is more what you are looking for. Trust your tuner, not your fingers.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars