The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Tone Capacitor Question

In an effort to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, I wonder if a tone cap with a different value might soften the harsh sound of a Strat clone guitar.

Does anyone know what might be possible and if this is worth pursuing?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM

I had a beater Strat copy a few years back. I replaced the .047 "chiclet" cap that was in there with a .022 PIO (paper in oil) that I had lying around. The PIO really warmed up my tone and took away that harsh, brittle bite. So, a change in tone cap can make a huge difference. Also, check the height of your pickups. A pickup that is too high can create distasteful tones as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Phildog. I won't receive the guitar until Friday, but I have a pretty good idea that what I'll get is good woodwork and not much in terms of respectable sound.

What I'm getting is, for the princely sum of $109.95, is an SX Hawk from Rondo Music. I'm really only concerned about the woodwork, because I figure to find it useful, but I've heard their really cheap models have pickups that would frighten a grizzly bear.

The one I picked has a 1-3/4" nut width, so this is going to be a poor man's custom shop build based around a neck to fit my hands.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Phildog nailed it. A good PIO .022 tone cap will tame ALOT of harshness, and pickup height is huge.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM

I'm running RS Guitarcaps PIO caps in my Les Paul and they are buttery smooth. Strat type single coils are extremely sensitive to height as others have said. A quarter turn on the height adjustment screws can be heard. The higher they are, the warmer they get up to a point. Too close they get a funky sound that's hard to describe but doesn't sound pleasant.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
Thanks Phildog. I won't receive the guitar until Friday, but I have a pretty good idea that what I'll get is good woodwork and not much in terms of respectable sound.

What I'm getting is, for the princely sum of $109.95, is an SX Hawk from Rondo Music. I'm really only concerned about the woodwork, because I figure to find it useful, but I've heard their really cheap models have pickups that would frighten a grizzly bear.

The one I picked has a 1-3/4" nut width, so this is going to be a poor man's custom shop build based around a neck to fit my hands.
WHOA!!! You didn't say that you were getting a Hawk! They're actually really nice. Good build quality, good quality wood, but the necks are superb...IMO. A couple of buddies have them. One is the all Mahogany and they scream! Don't be so quick to change the pickups, because my buddy Greg changed out all of the electronics and installed an RMC (NOS) capacitor. Believe me, those pickups sound divine. He plugs directly into a Fender Blues Jr that has been modded, as well as his Sovtek. And on both amps, the pickups are crisp, articulate, and full sounding. When the amps are driven, with NO pedals, there's a nice bluesy bark from the pups. You got yourself a winner there. That is NO BEATER GUITAR by any means!

Don't compare it to anything else, just play it, and let it's own voice be free. Post pics when you get it. I'd love to see it!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
Don't compare it to anything else, just play it, and let it's own voice be free. Post pics when you get it. I'd love to see it!
You just made my day. If this thing turns out as good as you said, I'll be a really happy camper.

And I'll photograph it when it comes. It's just a brown burst with a maple fretboard, sort of classic in that regard. It comes with a gigbag for all of $122, shipping included.

I figure to add springs and pull the bridge down on the body like I always do. I bend strings with my fingers, not a video game joystick hanging out of my guitar. I suspect it will arrive with customized reliced strings, so some Slinky 10-46s will be in order.

I generally like the pickups slightly lower than most people, more a matter of preferring a weaker signal, but if they are warmer raised, so be it. I tend to play on 10/10/10 most of the time and reduce volume at the amp since I'm just playing at home.

Cavity shielding, maybe. Change the nut, depends. Fret sprout? I have the files and blocks. I'll do a fret leveling if need be.

It all depends on the quality of what I get. I've had 2 SX guitars before, both hollow bodies that were quite a bit more expensive. The one I just received went back because it had either a paint crack or neck broken at the pocket. Kurt gave me back my money, but he won't be able to let me know whether the problem went below the paint until after the holidays.

What I don't understand is why Agile doesn't make a high end Strat for Kurt. Those are really superior guitars from all I've seen.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 AM

Yeah, the Agiles are very nice, indeed. But I think their "bread and butter" is their Les Paul style guitars. many guys on MyLesPaul rave about them. And as well they should. They're beautifully crafted with good components. And they're eye-candy! So, as long as that line is doing well, I don't see them investing much time or effort into a Strat copy any time soon. I guess because there are so many Strat style guitars out there, that one more would only get swallowed up in the grand scheme of things. Just my opinion...of course.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

When I was in business, I always felt there was always room at the top and I guess I see Agile guitars that way. I think their reputation with the LP styles speaks volumes about what you would get in the Strat or a Tele.

The SX arrives Friday and new holiday routes for UPS have changed their schedule to arrive here about noon instead of their usual 5 PM time during the rest of the year. I should know by about 3 PM which direction I'll go with this project.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM

Man, I'm excited for you. I'm also anxious to see it. It the body 3 piece Alder? I looked on Rondo's site, but I'm not sure if I saw the exact one you're getting. I guess I have to be patient too an wait til Friday! LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Here's what I ordered... http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkmnwide3ts.html

It's been an interesting week already... 2 straight NGD.

I bought a beautiful Epi Dot Deluxe from a friend on another forum. It arrived Monday. Then, 2 Epi acoustics arrived a day early yesterday. Therein lies a story. I ordered the big EJ jumbo and the order confirmation came back with the wrong guitar listed, the AJ. I called and they supposedly canceled the first order and placed the order for the right guitar, but both got shipped and arrived. I like both and if GC is willing to hold the price with the 20% off deal I used to purchase the EJ, I'll keep it.

I need to check tracking, but I'm expecting the Hawk to arrive Friday. Maybe it'll get here early too! BTW, I'm really enjoying the UPS holiday routes. They don't usually get near my house until about 5 PM, but with extra trucks delivering these days, I'm early on the route and they are here about noon. I'm totally spoiled now and will hate to see it go back to the late delivery after the holidays are over.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Still says Friday... No arrival scan in the state of Florida so far...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Change the cap or the pot. raise the caps to sweeten the sound, and lower if to bright. The strats usually come with 250 k pots. Go the a 500 k for a start. Linear taper pots works better, but an audio taper will do the trick. Cheap and relatively easy.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

It should arrive around noon tomorrow. The more I hear and the SX guitars, the more excited I am that this will actually be a much nicer guitar than I had anticipated starting with. If this neck feels good, I might look for a Tele with the same neck on it.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Out for delivery. Report and pictures later...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars