The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 AM

I have a Taylor GS5 and it sounds incredible.

Light strumming and fingerpicking sound amazing. It can even handle some harder strumming, but it starts to get a little muddy when you get after it pretty hard.

But the complexity of the tone when you're treating it gently is really something special.
1998 Martin DC-15E
2000 S&P 12-String (Spruce/Cherry)
2012 Godin 5th Ave Kingpin
1964 Goya G-10
Republic Mahogany Resonator Ukelele
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
A borrowed Fylde Orsino - cedar mahogany (dread-ish shape though a little smaller than some, and slightly tighter waisted)), double tracked - one strummed, one fingerpicked with a bit of flatpicking thrown in -

https://www.box.com/shared/ssye3vy43i

This is fairly representative of it's sound.
Hey Keith - that's great playing & singing.

I'd literally just put down my Stonebridge down and hit on your link.

Very representative c/m sound!

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM

My one and only guitar is a Taylor GA-MC and I think it sounds fantastic. And I'm a strummer, not fingerpicking. I've had D'Addario pb lights on it, but trying a few other brands/types to see if I like anything else better. I didn't like the 80/20 elixers that were on it when I got it (used).
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by state-it View Post
Hey Keith - that's great playing & singing.

I'd literally just put down my Stonebridge down and hit on your link.

Very representative c/m sound!
Thanks v much state-it. My mate has the same model Stonebridge as you have - v nice too!
Keith
Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 AM

I have a GS5 and really enjoy the cedar/hog combo. I have previously owned other wood combos with differing spruce tops and b/s of rosewood, hog, and lacewood. I always grabbed for the GS5 though, so now that is my only guitar except for my VA for travel.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 AM

I've heard and played a 00 and 000 with this wood combo and thought it was great. I'm a fan.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:40 AM

Thumbs up Sweet Cedar

I have a Lag/hog cutaway & a new Seagull Coastline Momentum cedar/wild cherry. They both have that sweet cedar tone. I put lacquered bone saddle on Lag gives a very rich cats meow singing highs. The Seagull is very sweet & balanced with xtra bright JP strings. Love that cedar tone.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

I had a Stomebridge G23CR (cedar/rosewood). It was a Sweet sounding and responsive guitar. I would still have it if it were not for the 1 3/4 nut. Might have to have one made with a slimmer neck one day.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-04-2018, 05:17 AM

I had a Taylor spruce 114 had 1.69 nut. I sold to get Seagull cedar with 1.8 nut. Took a Little getting used to but I like it. If you need a slender feelin neck try a Lag GA cutaway cedar. Had 1.69 or slimmer. Very easy play & with that self filed laquered bone saddle, those cedar/hog tones really resonates. I love both cedars.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordee View Post

I think a lot has to do with how you hear.
This is the heart of the matter on guitar tone. Our hearing system greatly affects the tone we hear (duh). In a hearing test we learn our ability to hear various frequency ranges. Most adults lose their ability to hear higher frequencies, which is always a joke among those selling speakers that claim responses above 18k hz.

The differences in hearing ability explains for me why some people are passionate that a particular guitar sounds great, and others disagree.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishpicker View Post
I have a Lag/hog cutaway & a new Seagull Coastline Momentum cedar/wild cherry. They both have that sweet cedar tone. I put lacquered bone saddle on Lag gives a very rich cats meow singing highs. The Seagull is very sweet & balanced with xtra bright JP strings. Love that cedar tone.
An old thread lives! What prompted you do bring this one back from the dead
I'm loving my Steve Denvir custom cedar mahogany OM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

The first guitar I ever bought was a cedar over mahogany dread. I don't know if I got lucky and loved cedar right from the start or if that first guitar shaped my preferences and I like what that was. Either way, I have been (basically) a cedar-only player ever since, although I have migrated to EIR.

I play exclusively with my fingertips - no picks and barely even nails. I have ultra low action and play very softly on light strings. With this delicate approach, the cedar is amazing.

The difference in the body is very much true to what everyone has said. The rosewood body emphasizes a lot of the overtones and the sound is much more "lush" almost chorus-like, whereas the mahogany is very crisp and clear almost like playing a piano with one finger, where there are much less overtones and resonances in complementary tones.

My cedar-mahogany is a full size dread (which is not common for cedar). It can (and does) play loud when really picked/strummed hard. But, again, it is true that the crispness and the articulation reach a limit where they start to sound muddy at higher volumes.

I prefer the "scooped mids" - I run all my entertainment audio with a modified V equalizer pattern. I like the enhanced bass and treble and reduced midranges. Coupled with the chorus-sound I prefer and rosewood is better for me and my tastes.

But, most (?) fingerstyle players like the clarity and articulation of mahogany.

So it really depends on what you like.

If you prefer the chorus sound of a 12-string, you might like rosewood.
If you prefer the articulate sound of an archtop, you might like mahogany.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 05-04-2018, 10:14 AM

I would think that Hog with the more fundamental tone paired with cedar top would be far nicer for a fingerstyle player. More separation and less battling of overtones.

Also, Furch is making Cedar/Hog the primary entry level all solid wood. (The other being sitka/cedar over walnut). I think those guys know how to make a killer guitar, so I don't think you could go wrong (depending on builder)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
An old thread lives! What prompted you do bring this one back from the dead
I'm loving my Steve Denvir custom cedar mahogany OM.
Well, about a year ago after swapping my archtop Swingster on a similar Gretsch I decided to go acoustic first a Low End Taylor 114 then when I heard James Taylor got that sound thru cedar tops I found & like a little Lag cedar then last weekend of April I decided to sell my spruce & go all in. I had ordered then received without even playing but hoped it would be my full concert size cedar. Seagull Momentum CH. After changing the dull D’Addario strings & putting on some JP xtra lights I knew for the money this was it. BTW I’ve been a bass & rythym player for 50 years but still learning things about music. It’s not a destination but a journey.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
Which strings did you put on for this wood combination? I have elixir but want to change to strings warmer and more natural for my Lakewood M14
I quite like the sound and feel of SantaCruz Parabolic tension strings on my Taylor cedar/mahogany. I use light tension for the Taylor, med tension for my spruce/ rosewood martins. I find it more satisfying to play a martin that fights back a little, med tension seems to help keep it warm and the action low.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion