The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Nice looking build, John!
I'm just as impressed--though--with how clean your shop looks.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Nice looking build, John!
I'm just as impressed--though--with how clean your shop looks.

Steve
Don't be impressed with the clean shop ... it is all in the camera angles
Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the update John... It is looking great.

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 02-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Beautiful work John! Congrats to both you and Chris.

Hey John, looking very much forward to seeing you this summer at HGF. Perhaps we can have dinner at that cool Italian restaurant we ate at last time.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble View Post
Thanks for the update John... It is looking great.

Chris
No Problem, I completed the rim (the sides with the blocks, kerfed linings, soundport all just about ready to accept the top and back) so there has been some more progress made. I will post some pictures (after I take them and process them) later on.

I also got the 3 contender tops cut to shape, so I will do some (“nonsense”) testing to see if any of them should be eliminated from the mix. I am still leaning toward the Italian Spruce Top for this build, but while I am at I will look at the Carpathian and the Caucasian tops and get them ready for a back up or for another guitar.
Also I will be doing some more “development” stuff, so that is just boring (no pretty pictures) that may delay some progress photos, but hopefully we can get into the pretty stuff soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Porton View Post
Beautiful work John! Congrats to both you and Chris.

Hey John, looking very much forward to seeing you this summer at HGF. Perhaps we can have dinner at that cool Italian restaurant we ate at last time.
Thanks Alan,

Yes absolutely, I will be staying right at the Hotel where the show is being held, so I bet we could even walk over there from there. That place was really fun and had good food. Let's do it.

Speaking of the show, I hope to make another one of these models to bring out there. I actually have another thread that asks for some input on wood combos etc. Rather than take this thread off topic, if you get a second I would love to hear some feedback on wood combos over there.

Thanks man … looking forward to Healdsburg.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well it has been a little while since I updated this build thread. Progress has been a little slower but the development stuff takes some time. Anyway here are some shots from the some of the events relating to the prototype.

Here is a shot of the soundport. Although I often bind them, I decided not to in this case, but added a blue and black line that will match up with the rosette, binding and purfling treatment on the rest of the guitar. These line will pop more when finished.

Here is a shot of the kerfed linings being installed in the cutaway

A shot of the back with the reinforcement strip installed.

A closer look at the “brand” I used on this back strip.

Here the back braces are being “dry-fit” to make sure everything lines up.

Here the #2 and #4 braces are being glued in.

After a bunch of “nonsense” testing we decided on the this Italian Spruce top for the prototype. This is a really great top, and I am excited about the potential of this guitar with this top.

Here is a look at the rosette in progress. It is made from rosewood pieces from the back material, blue purfling and ebony.

And now the finished rosette. The lines will be a little “crisper” once the top is closer to finish and gets scraped as right now it is just rough sanded.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM

John, I am enjoying this thread and your skilled work. Can you explain the double sides? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Nice looking build John. Just out of curiosity, why are you using 4 registration pins in the photo with the back braces being glued on? Is that your lining or Kevin's? Its cool looking regardless.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Nice looking build John. Just out of curiosity, why are you using 4 registration pins in the photo with the back braces being glued on?
Because I can ... Actually the "registration pins" as you are calling them that are in the waist area is something I have been doing for a long time. I found however with the distance being quite small that I was getting some movement so I added the 2 pins on the ends. The main problem I had with the "end" registration pins was I sometimes needed to shift my tops or backs and then the overall size was not big enough to get both holes in the piece using the lengthwise pins. I don't really "need" all 4 but since I made provisions for them, I thought that I would go ahead and use them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Is that your lining or Kevin's? Its cool looking regardless.
The lining was purchased from Kevin Ryan. Yes it is his A4 lining... great stuff.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
John, I am enjoying this thread and your skilled work. Can you explain the double sides? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
This is my first build using the double sides so some others may be better equipped to answer this. This technique has been around for a while but has been most recently popularized by Ervin Somogyi and his students.

A couple things that appealed to me is that the sides become a bit more rigid, more resistant to cracking along the grain (and therefore no need for side reinforcement strips.) Also I am really happy with how "flat" across the grain the side came out. Since rosewood is so easy to work with, I may be getting a little excited about the flatness thing a little prematurely, as I have yet to work with some woods that are more prone to "ripple"

I guess the major drawback would be the cost (more material and time.) These sided take a lot longer to make as I need to bend twice the amount pieces for each side and that also increases the likelihood of breakage.

All guitars from this new model will be getting double sides, and it may become something I do on all my models in the future.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Are you using a regular yellow glue between the pieces?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Are you using a regular yellow glue between the pieces?
If your question is related to the double sides, then no, I use epoxy between the double sides.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Hey John - When it comes time to remove those tabs holding what I guess are the registration pins, what's the process? Do you do a rough cut, then fine sand to maintain perfect contour with side? It seems that this could be a bit dicey....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 PM

I really like the new brand...Very different than my SD...

Chris
and some nice guitars...

Last edited by Ruble; 02-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Hey John - When it comes time to remove those tabs holding what I guess are the registration pins, what's the process? Do you do a rough cut, then fine sand to maintain perfect contour with side? It seems that this could be a bit dicey....Robert
Just chop em off . The top and back are oversized and get trimed down to size with a flush-cut router bit. I will probably remove most of the tabs with saw first (just chop em off.) Actually quite easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop