The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 07:04 PM

For $32K, it should breathe fire and fly on command.
Same with the Fenders.
I sent a copy of that Fender article to my kids, just to let them know where their inheritance was going.
Fortunately, they are old enough to get the humor.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Awe man! And to think, I was worried about scratching up my lowly OM-40SB. I guess I can now buy the Martin and use my Eastman as a boat paddle.Or maybe kindling.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
"Intelligence" and the ability to afford expensive things are NOT correlated. Some of the least intelligent people I know are the wealthiest (they tend not to care about others much and will scam away where they can) while the "smart" folks (those with higher degrees and such) are a mixed bunch of middle-class and poor people.
I'm not big on class envy. I work around some extremely smart people who are among the nicest people you'll ever meet. Sorry for your personal connections if they are not like that.

We could debate whether higher earners are as a group ""smarter" or more intelligent than low earners but I think that's already been determined by most.
And if so, I'll imagine there's some correlation.

People with more money than me don't bother me at all. People who can afford multiple custom guitars don't make me envious. We all have the ability to rise to whatever level we're comfortable with. That's not easy to accept for some, so they disparage the guys/gals with 30k guitars as being less than savory characters. I just don't like that form of labeling.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post
I don't think the guitar is a smart purchase for a guitarist. For a collector of Martin guitars it's more of an investment opportunity than a playing guitar.

I prefer luthier made instruments (one builder from start to finish). 31K pays for one hell of a custom made luthier guitar, something that you would NEVER put down, complete with Howard Leach inlay if that's your thing.

Maybe even two of them.

PS: An investor collector would tell you that you are pissing your money away if you went the small shop luthier route, as your resell value would be very low.
Investor/collector here and I don't see this guitar as a long term investment opportunity in fact some small shop guitars like Henderson and Somogyi will do better imo. If you must invest in a Martins then I think vintage is the way to go.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I'm not big on class envy. I work around some extremely smart people who are among the nicest people you'll ever meet. Sorry for your personal connections if they are not like that.

We could debate whether higher earners are as a group ""smarter" or more intelligent than low earners but I think that's already been determined by most.
And if so, I'll imagine there's some correlation.

People with more money than me don't bother me at all. People who can afford multiple custom guitars don't make me envious. We all have the ability to rise to whatever level we're comfortable with. That's not easy to accept for some, so they disparage the guys/gals with 30k guitars as being less than savory characters. I just don't like that form of labeling.
Amen, brother.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion