The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2019, 05:05 PM

Default Maton experts help please!

A girlfriend has a Maton CG85G super jumbo and has owned it for at least twenty years. It has a large, plain pickguard reminiscent of the Gibson SJ200 and what appears to be a sitka top, but I have no idea what the back and sides are-and the finish is 'tired' to say the least. Structurally it is sound with a dead straight neck and plenty of saddle, and plays well. The 'Maton' logo runs along the top of the headstock from side to side.
I haven't found any information about this model and would appreciate any help with dating, structural details, value etc. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Photos?, i do some Maton warranty work so may be able to help

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Photos?, i do some Maton warranty work so may be able to help

Steve
Thanks; I only saw it briefly and just long enough to note down the model designation. I'll try to get some pictures next time we meet.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
A girlfriend has a Maton CG85G super jumbo and has owned it for at least twenty years... appears to be a sitka top, but I have no idea what the back and sides are-and the finish is 'tired' to say the least... I haven't found any information about this model and would appreciate any help with dating, structural details, value etc.
When I was buying my Eastwood last week, the shop owner handed me a new Maton and asked me what I thought. It was made in Australia, and he said it is what the Australian Tommy Emmanuel plays. It was all blond wood with a dull finish on body and neck. It had to be an excellent guitar, but compared to the Eastwood concert that I was buying, I did not care for how it looked, felt or sounded.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
When I was buying my Eastwood last week, the shop owner handed me a new Maton and asked me what I thought. It was made in Australia, and he said it is what the Australian Tommy Emmanuel plays. It was all blond wood with a dull finish on body and neck. It had to be an excellent guitar, but compared to the Eastwood concert that I was buying, I did not care for how it looked, felt or sounded.
Yes, from what I understand the TE model polarises opinion. Players often comment that the sound is 'restrained'; I can't comment, not having played one, but the TE is primarily a guitar designed for amplified performance, so its pure acoustic tone could be compromised by a heavier build? I have no idea, just guessing.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Tommy model is spruce top over Queensland maple
Body. QLD maple can range from pretty tame to very figured. It’s very similar in appearance to mahogany.

The other wood they use heavily is Blackwood, an acacia, which shares a lot in common with Koa appearance wise, but also can be super bland.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion