The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Last time I visited LA Guitar Sales I played on of the WS-1005 models. I am used to offset soundhole models having a bit more bass presence than center soundhole models but did not find that to be the case.

On the other hand, it had the factory 80/20 strings on it, and I don't like 80/20s.

I could definitely see owning one though.

I don't like 80/20 strings on my CF guitars, it does not do them justice at all. I am hoping to make a road trip to see Ted. He has an amazing selection!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I don't like 80/20 strings on my CF guitars, it does not do them justice at all. I am hoping to make a road trip to see Ted. He has an amazing selection!
Be advised. Parking and traffic are abominable. Ted and his shop are most cool though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 PM

I got a Rainsong JM3000 in 2011. I think they quit making them. It's a jumbo 12 string; loud, clear, playable & stays in tune better than any guitar I ever had. It's the one guitar I'll never get rid of.
Yamaha GL1
Ibanez RG321 MH
Olympia OP-2 12 fret parlor
Danelectro 12 string
Old 09-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
I got a Rainsong JM3000 in 2011. I think they quit making them. It's a jumbo 12 string; loud, clear, playable & stays in tune better than any guitar I ever had. It's the one guitar I'll never get rid of.

...And one with a user name like yours has got to have a proper guitar to play “(wanted) Dead or Alive”

On a serious note though, those are sought after guitars since nobody in CF is making them with the exception of Emerald. I bet it sounds killer!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Rainsong exited the twelve string market before I was ready to go for one, but a WS-3000 was always on my mind. But that ultimately led me to my Emerald X20-12, which led to other Emeralds (X20, X7 woody). I jammed at a friend's house today and played his DR-1000 for about two hours. Also quite nice.

I believe that Leviora also has made 12-ers in the past, but don't show them on the web page currently. Those are all custom and come from Germany. https://leviora-guitars.de/en/
Old 09-10-2018, 07:06 AM

I was honored to test the Leviora guitars and had one for a week. Very cool guitar! Whatever happened to them?

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I was honored to test the Leviora guitars and had one for a week. Very cool guitar! Whatever happened to them?

I think they are still around...just not a lot of them... I had the 2 road trips ones...steel fan fret and nylon... the steel was sent to me 2 seorrate times. Really fine instruments .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-10-2018, 05:48 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I have a few Rainsongs and also really like the 12-fret versions. Lately I have been enamored with the WS1005 and have been recording some new tunes with it.

JR
Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I have a few Rainsongs and also really like the 12-fret versions. Lately I have been enamored with the WS1005 and have been recording some new tunes with it.

JR
It's gorgeous! Oh my so many to choose from. I agree, the 12 fret versions are the best. My Shorty FLE plays so easily and really sounds awesome!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 06-22-2019, 01:47 PM

Default Rainsong P12

It's my second Rainsong. I used to have a Smokey. I love the P12. Super light weight, great neck, big sound, has electronics and it looks cool too. Just need to find a gigbag and the right strings and I'll be set.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman327 View Post
It's my second Rainsong. I used to have a Smokey. I love the P12. Super light weight, great neck, big sound, has electronics and it looks cool too. Just need to find a gigbag and the right strings and I'll be set.
I have these two gig bags and they fit perfectly with no play. Lately I've been using the upstart version because the final package is so compact and I'm reasonably careful. It is roughly similar in protectiveness to Taylor's gig bag for their Baby. The Stage One is the next step up with 1" (25 mm) closed cell foam. Bulkier but not noticeably heavier.

https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...ic-guitar-bag/

https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...ic-guitar-bag/

Open an account (register your email address with a password) and you get lower pricing. Try the coupon code THANKYOU also.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-25-2019, 12:31 PM

I have two Rainsong guitars.
A 2009 JM1000 (N1 Neck) and a 2018 CH-PA. The jury is still out on the N2 neck on the parlor. I really like the 'snake skin' look of an unpainted CF neck and, aesthetically, it would have been cool if the parlor had the unpainted, cloth pattern neck.
The JM1000 was my introduction to CF guitars and, living in a distinct 4 season region, it was a pleasure to not have to deal with humidity monitoring. It was not long before my Taylor 814CE was on the selling block. Now it's just pick up and play.
I'm also a huge alternate tuning fan and did something unusual with both my Rainsong guitars - outfitted them with TronicalTune Plus tuning systems. That's been a boon to my musical growth in the alternate tuning realm.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM

I have three RainSongs at the moment: a Shorty, a CH-WS1000NS, and a CH-PA1100NSG. The Shorty was my first, and remains my favorite, but I definitely love the different tonal characters of the WS and PA bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northtrader View Post
The jury is still out on the N2 neck on the parlor. I really like the 'snake skin' look of an unpainted CF neck and, aesthetically, it would have been cool if the parlor had the unpainted, cloth pattern neck.
My CH-PA has the carbon weave neck, no paint or other texture, just the matte finish over the weave. I've not heard of any CH-PA guitars being painted, was yours a limited edition? So far as I understand it, all RainSong necks are made from the same carbon fiber weave, unlike the bodies which can have different carbon fiber and glass fiber used in their construction. I'd be curious to see/hear what your neck is like.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Apologies as I posted a few weeks ago but I'm still gaga over the new custom hybrid dread. Light weight, short scale, 12 frets, light strings, so enjoyable to play and take everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0593.jpg (18.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
My CH-PA has the carbon weave neck, no paint or other texture, just the matte finish over the weave. I've not heard of any CH-PA guitars being painted, was yours a limited edition? So far as I understand it, all RainSong necks are made from the same carbon fiber weave, unlike the bodies which can have different carbon fiber and glass fiber used in their construction. I'd be curious to see/hear what your neck is like.
The neck is pretty much exactly the same as the CH-PA pictured in this reverb sale. Mine has no pickup/preamp. It's just a CH-PA1100NSG. It's matte black on the back of the neck and the back of the headstock.

https://reverb.com/item/25404730-rai...t-hybrid-black

I got mine for a really good price so I genuinely can't complain about the lack of 'weave' showing on the neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber