The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-25-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan688 View Post
Joel is building my guitar later this year, glad I know about that one. I'd probably have a heart attack.
Fret not Brendan, I'm sure Joel has a couple of tricks up his sleeve for you :P
Old 03-02-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
And if I'm not mistaken, it is actually quarter sawn! Joel actually has another "Lucky Tree" build starting next month and I'm personally jealous of that other set of "The Tree". I'll post some pictures of that if no one else does
You mean with four slices of this? Where the sides match the backs?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:28 AM

Haha! You couldn't hold back could you Jay. Yes that... It has been haunting my sleep ever since :'(

If only you were generous enough to share that :P

Hope that the build is still going through, would be amazing to see what Joel can do with it
Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 AM

Absolutely beautiful Marcus!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Haha! You couldn't hold back could you Jay. Yes that... It has been haunting my sleep ever since :'(

If only you were generous enough to share that :P

Hope that the build is still going through, would be amazing to see what Joel can do with it
As ridiculously gorgeous as Jay's set is, I sincerely hope that you are not unhappy with that superlative set that is going on your guitar.

I always get a kick out of these "celebrity" tree builds, especially when the top AND back/sides are "celebrities" like LS/The Tree.

My anonymous tree builds have turned out pretty well, but I'm enjoying watching this one come together
Old 03-02-2015, 10:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful guitar coming together, Marcus!
I really enjoy threads like these, and you must be over the moon!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Absolutely beautiful Marcus!
I will have Jay and Joel to thank for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
As ridiculously gorgeous as Jay's set is, I sincerely hope that you are not unhappy with that superlative set that is going on your guitar.

I always get a kick out of these "celebrity" tree builds, especially when the top AND back/sides are "celebrities" like LS/The Tree.

My anonymous tree builds have turned out pretty well, but I'm enjoying watching this one come together
Haha! Absolutely not! I am extremely grateful to Jay for relinquishing such a beautiful set to me and couldn't be happier with it

Why anonymous? Good things have to be shared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Beautiful guitar coming together, Marcus!
I really enjoy threads like these, and you must be over the moon!

Steve
Thanks Steve! That would have been extremely appropriate had I stuck with my initial choice of Moon Spruce. Now I would just say that I'm pretty lucky :P

Your sapele OM is coming along BEAUTIFULLY too!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 AM

Joel just sent me an update on the rosette and...here it is!!

Here the rosette is being assembled. The angles have to be kept constant with that of the back strip inlay. I can't imagine how much time it must have taken Joel to do this... Such dedication.

Another look at the Lucky Strike Redwood top before it is "disfigured" with the rosette what a beaut!

The rosette is completed and inlaid onto the top. Joel initially had the Wenge grain all going vertical parallel to the top but we both had the itch to see how a radial grain would look so he redid it there were no regrets! His dedication and artistic foresight paid off

Next the purfling channels are to be routed by Joel's small plunge router which he has endearingly coined the Rocketship where the Black/White purflings are inlaid

Purfling is glued and being levelled off with his block plane photobombing the picture

And here is the final outcome! Still not fully levelled as this will be done during the deflection testing and such. The rosette is supposed to have a "slow burn" effect where it might not seem like much at first but will gradually draw you towards it. We avoided anything too flashy in fear of the guitar being too loud with the Tree's figure and all.

The next update is going to be in 2 weeks! Another long wait ahead ><
Old 03-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Default Memphis Build Thread - Michaud OM-R Lucky Strike/&quot;The Tree&quot;

Wow, looks great. That must have taken a long time. I'm excited to see the end results! What tuners did you decide to go with?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, looks great. That must have taken a long time. I'm excited to see the end results! What tuners did you decide to go with?
Hey Brendan, I will be going with GRAFS! Deciding between Snakewood and Black Mother of Pearl buttons at the moment. Black Mother of Pearl just looks amazing by itself but Snakewood would tie in the design better I think as it is in black/orange which is basically what the theme of my guitar is haha

Has Joel managed to sway you in any particular direction with your tuners?

Yes, it indeed took a really long time. Joel is incredibly dedicated and passionate and would not hesitate to redo anything if he is unhappy with. He actually did the radial rosette once, and redid it as the alignment was slightly off. You will not be disappointed when your time comes

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 04-24-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 PM

I went with Grafs, in snakewood. Great minds think alike!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I went with Grafs, in snakewood. Great minds think alike!
Haha! CONGRATS! Even though the tuners are just a small part of the guitar, I'm sure you'll be reminded of their presence every time you pick it up I feel like I might end up getting Snakewood as well....we shall see what Joel says
Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 AM

I'm not sure if it would be too much, (as far as looks go) but we are thinking of doing snakewood for the fretboard and bridge as well. Joel likes the idea, but needs to think if it would be too 'busy'. I think I'm going to leave it to WWJD...what would Joel do!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it would be too much, (as far as looks go) but we are thinking of doing snakewood for the fretboard and bridge as well. Joel likes the idea, but needs to think if it would be too 'busy'. I think I'm going to leave it to WWJD...what would Joel do!
You're kidding! I suggested the exact same thing to Joel just yesterday! But like you said, it might be too busy. I said it more as just a cool idea which probably wouldn't work for my build.

HAHA! WWJD, very well said. So far, all the ideas have been ultimately his. I might suggest something and we might beat around the bush a little but in the end, Joel is always right from the start.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 PM

Here we go again! If you do not already know, this build is going to have a double-side construction both in THE TREE! The inner layer is of a lightly quilted figure, though I doubt that would matter much since it would go unseen.

Here the sides are receiving a super soft treatment via veneer softener which relaxes the wood's figure and allows you to bend highly figured woods with a lower probability of fracturing. When bending the Tree, you want to take every measure possible to ensure success. A broken side on an average build is very disappointing, while a broken side on a Tree build is devastating!

Next is the most stressful part, the actual bending of the sides! God knows how many shots of tequila Joel had to take before he had the nerves to undertake such a task

Fortunately, no broken sides, nor fractures! The bends were nice and clean with no flat spots. PHEW!

Epoxy is then applied for the joining of the double sides. Joel has tried a number of adhesives for laminated sides and have settled on epoxy for now as it dries nice and hard without adding water to the process, which can increase the chance of woods doing odd things during gluing and drying.

Here is Joel's jig for forming the sides which he had spent a LONG time perfecting, allowing him to use only 8 clamps vs the 101 before!

And finally, the finished rim! It is important for the rims to hold their shape with zero tension so as to not affect the sound board when the box is closed. This is exactly what the double sides aim to do, acting as a solid rim to support the front and back vibrating plates.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree