The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Is the Fender G-DEC 3, 30 Watt .. too much amp for a beginner ? I'm new to electric.

I found one, brand new.. the price is within budget.

What I'm trying to figure.. after watching a couple of u tube demos.

Is this modeling amp too much of a machine for a beginner ?

I don't know much about electric guitar.. just purchased a used mex fender
the other day

If you have an opinion ? please share .. thanks.. all
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Try the Fender Blues Jr or Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb save yourself the wasted time and cut to the chase.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 PM

cut to the chase ? I have no idea what you are writing about
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM

What is this "too much" concept you speak of? Never seen it mentioned around here before.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 PM

the amp has all kinds of switching, with modeling, backing tracks, etc.. I got thinking that it may be too complicated for a beginner electric player...
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM

I have a similar Fender amp, and end up using two or three of the preset models for most playing. I plug it into the computer if I want to do more than that, like hunting down the right amp and effects combo for songs like 'Born On The Bayou'. You should be fine starting out in a similar fashion with a preset or two, and still have room to play around and see what you like later. Nothing wrong with a 5 watt Fender Champ if you want simple either. That is a nice amp, and not super loud either.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Clintj plus one.

I wish this was my first amp 15 years ago. I have one and use it every day for practice. When I got it home, at first I thought it was too complicated but within an hour of playing I found it was so simple to use. 100 presets and fuse software to add more tone possibilities...what's not to like. If you are just startng out this amp will last you for many years until you are ready for the big costly amps. I have a handful of favorite patches but enjoy all the other presets as well. I plug in my ipod and play along to my favorites or the set list of song my band plays. The ipod accessory channel has its own volume control so you can blend it to match your guitar. Built in tuner is a big plus. Light weight and not too loud for at home, but can be pushed to rockin' loud levels in your living room or bedroom. I was so impressed I have added a Mustang III and Fender Mustang Floor to my tool box and I was a tube guy for the past 15 years.

If you are buying from a place like Guitar Center I would take the warranty since there is a little computer in there doing all the work and computers can fail........so a liitle money spent for the insurance policy is in my opinion advised.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Nah...not too much. Start simple and just enjoy playing. Get to know the features a little at a time. I just bought something similar, although larger (wish I saw this before that...), and really love it. I think you'll enjoy it, and you'll continue to grow and improve faster because the amp will make practice more fun. If it's in your budget, grab it!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM

30 watts is LOUD, brother. What are you using the amp for? If you just want a good practice amp you can play around the house and make some small gigs with, a Fender Blues Jr. or a Fender Princeton amp, at 15 watts, has got all the power you could want. I used to gig with my Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, and that's only 22 watts. So, unless you've got a lot of theater-sized gigs all lined up, a smaller amp will do you just fine.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 PM

The G-Dec is a solid state amp like my Mustang, so it should quiet down nicely. They don't need to be cranked up a minimum amount to sound good. But yeah, my tube powered HR Deluxe is amazingly loud once it is turned up enough to not sound muddy and it's only 50 or 60 watts of tube power.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
30 watts is LOUD, brother. What are you using the amp for? If you just want a good practice amp you can play around the house and make some small gigs with, a Fender Blues Jr. or a Fender Princeton amp, at 15 watts, has got all the power you could want. I used to gig with my Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, and that's only 22 watts. So, unless you've got a lot of theater-sized gigs all lined up, a smaller amp will do you just fine.
A 30W SS amp will be much lower in volume than a 22W tube. In tube, 1W is even to much for home use. That said, the tones on modeling amps can leave a lot to be desired, so I would strongly suggest testing out some modeling amps like the Mustang, Roland Cubes, and some low watt tube amps and see which you like best.

Just because it has ten thousand settings doesn't mean any are good

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars