The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM

I have a Hiscox Pro II — it’s been home to my OM (SCGC — pretty darn close to Martin dimensions) for about three years — I’m not routinely on the road, but it has managed a few plane trips, as well as car trips and public transportation, just fine. I’d gladly buy another, if I needed another case.

I’m not certain what they called the size, but I think I recall that it was described as the right size for an OM. Hiscox does use changeable soft pads for some size adjustment, but I really would not recommend using the dread-size case — it’s just too big as is, and I’d be hesitant to jury-rig that much of an adjustment. Maybe call a Hiscox dealer to hear what they have to say about the best case for your guitar?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I have a Hiscox Pro II.....I’m not certain what they called the size, but I think I recall that it was described as the right size for an OM.
It's the 'OOO/OM' model! Really!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
I have both -- a Pro for my OM and a medium classical Artist for my 00. I usually get my guitars in the overhead bin in the cabin when I fly, but both have had to be gate checked from time to time, and there's never been a problem.

The Artist does feel a little beefier, but I don't worry too much about flying with my OM in the Pro. I got a good price on a used Artist case, so it wasn't a hard decision to go for that over the Pro.

I don't have a Hiscox dread case, but I suspect an OM guitar would not be a good fit in a dread case.
Do you think a Santa Cruz style 00 (https://eddiesguitars.com/acoustic-g...00-custom-5267) would fit in the medium classical size that you have? None of the stores near me have any that I can test it out in.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Do you think a Santa Cruz style 00 (https://eddiesguitars.com/acoustic-g...00-custom-5267) would fit in the medium classical size that you have? None of the stores near me have any that I can test it out in.
I have a medium classical Hiscox Pro II case for my Martin 00-18 and it's a snug fit around the upper bouts - as your Santa Cruz 00 is smaller up top there would likely be room to spare, but I do recall reading on an older thread about someone who wrote to Hiscox and they send them extra foam pieces to put in their case, to accommodate for a slightly loose fit.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post

My 00-18 is a 14-fretter, and the case fits it exactly perfectly. Not sure whether the 12-fret body shape would fit. Hiscox has accurate measurements for all its cases on their website, so you should be able to determine whether your Santa Cruz would fit.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM

All of my acoustics now live in a PRO II case. I love ‘em!

I take several trips to Europe every year and always take a nice dread. The PRO II has worked perfectly.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 PM

Igor, Igor, bring ze cases!

Ve leave immediately!

BluesKing777.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

The standard case is too big for my 000. If I were to fly with it, I’d get a pro-II OM. I do fly with my J 50 in a Hiscox dread case. I’ve got an older one, and it’s done right by me.

The PRO II would be my choice.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
My 00-18 is a 14-fretter, and the case fits it exactly perfectly. Not sure whether the 12-fret body shape would fit. Hiscox has accurate measurements for all its cases on their website, so you should be able to determine whether your Santa Cruz would fit.
Appreciate the help from you and packmule!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

This post comes at a great time for me...as I am also considering purchasing a different flight case.

I have Two SKB 1SKB-18 cases. And I really like them. I like the Big Plastic locks over a previous case i had with just aluminum locks.
http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...set=&c=75&s=75
And This case weights 10 lbs

*Yet, I still might worry for a checked flight as I really value my guitar.

I believe the Hiscox Pro-11 case also weighs 10 lbs?
1. is the Pro-II case stronger than the SKB case? and if so why
2. The SKB waterproof case...looks near indestructible..But is 24 pounds. I really like this case despite the weight..because I am familiar with the Pelican style material on the outside. Super strong.
YET....maybe the weight is Not so good for the guitar if IT were dropped from a loading ramp?
http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...set=&c=83&s=75

So the question is if Hixcox is stronger than SKB, and If the SKB Waterproof if actually not as safe because of the weight drop factor.
Looking forward to the forums input on this.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
This post comes at a great time for me...as I am also considering purchasing a different flight case.

I have Two SKB 1SKB-18 cases. And I really like them. I like the Big Plastic locks over a previous case i had with just aluminum locks.
http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...set=&c=75&s=75
And This case weights 10 lbs

*Yet, I still might worry for a checked flight as I really value my guitar.

I believe the Hiscox Pro-11 case also weighs 10 lbs?
1. is the Pro-II case stronger than the SKB case? and if so why
2. The SKB waterproof case...looks near indestructible..But is 24 pounds. I really like this case despite the weight..because I am familiar with the Pelican style material on the outside. Super strong.
YET....maybe the weight is Not so good for the guitar if IT were dropped from a loading ramp?
http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...set=&c=83&s=75

So the question is if Hixcox is stronger than SKB, and If the SKB Waterproof if actually not as safe because of the weight drop factor.
Looking forward to the forums input on this.
Look at this clip...the whole thing. It may answer most if not all of your questions. It made me a believer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs
Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Look at this clip...the whole thing. It may answer most if not all of your questions. It made me a believer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs
Thanks so much SkyHigh...I have just started to watch this video and looks very informative.
I also found another comparison video between SKB and Hiscox..and Wow...it does look like the Hiscox is Stronger. Much less play on the sides of the guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-r8uvkMyug
So that answers the question of Which is better...and the Hiscox definitely shines.

So Now about Weight? If weight is not an issue...then I would think that the Waterproof SKB woud be stronger? making my assumption from previous pelican style cases I have owned..
Even if the Waterproof SKB is stronger than the Hiscox(which may or may not be true) I would also be scared that the more than twice as much weight, could cause more damage if it were accidentally dropped. I would think that 24 pounds verses 10 pounds...would cause more trauma to the guitar?
I guess we need those Physic experts for this question.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-11-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Also, What retailer of Hiscox Pro-11 offers the Price, service and shipping of this case?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Also, What retailer of Hiscox Pro-11 offers the Price, service and shipping of this case?

You can order most of their models through Guitar Center. Probably other retailers as well. But I live near several Guitar Centers, and I like to have my internet orders delivered to the store. With cases it’s nice to show up with your guitar to make sure it fits before you accept the case.

Last edited by AgentKooper; 07-11-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 AM

This thread got me thinking about getting a Hiscox case for my dread, and FYI, it looks like all Hiscox cases are 10-15 percent off at Guitar Center through July 24.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion