The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 PM

Question Hiscox cases

I'm looking for a pair of cases for a Martin dread and an OM. I want something that is very protective, that I could check on a flight without fear. Size and weight are not really concerns for me.

The differences seem to be...

Standard - 1.5mm ABS shell, polyurethane inner
Pro - 2.0mm ABS shell, soft foam padding added to inner in key places
Artist - 2.5mm ABS shell, aluminum valence, heavier padding on interior, velour finished.

I'm trying to decide if Pro will work for me if I should just buy Artist and be on the safe side. Trouble is just that Artist is twice as expensive, and finding an Artist case for the OM looks to be a little more difficult.

Anybody own either one, or both? Reviews?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Question

Another question for Hiscox owners:

Would the "acoustic guitar case", which they say is suitable for 90% of all dreadnought or folk size guitars, work for an OM?

It looks like the dread case is 1.5 inches longer in total length, 1 inch wider at the lower bout, the same at the upper bout, 3/4 inch longer for the body, and .75-1.5 inches deeper.

The OM case is exactly, within a quarter inch, the dimensions of my guitar, a perfect fit... but that's another $500 or so. Would it be safe to fly with the OM in the slightly larger dreadnought case? Perhaps just add some loose padding in the form of t-shirts or socks or what have you to make up the difference?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM

The Pro is fantastic. I can’t see anyone needing the Artist unless you travel ALOT.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 07-09-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
The Pro is fantastic. I can’t see anyone needing the Artist unless you travel ALOT.
Thanks for the feedback. So you'd have no qualms about checking the Pro on flights, and do you think it would hold up for years and years of this, flying a few times a year?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Thanks for the feedback. So you'd have no qualms about checking the Pro on flights, and do you think it would hold up for years and years of this, flying a few times a year?
I personally think so. I do about 125 dates per year in and out of a tour bus or truck. Mine has held up great. They are extremely tough. I’ve never flown with mine though.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 07-09-2018, 10:52 PM

The standard case will take my weight - 14 stone. You can add your own padding if necessary for flights. Bath sponges would do it. The interior lining is a velvet-like material. The Pro will definitely be good enough.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 PM

I have both -- a Pro for my OM and a medium classical Artist for my 00. I usually get my guitars in the overhead bin in the cabin when I fly, but both have had to be gate checked from time to time, and there's never been a problem.

The Artist does feel a little beefier, but I don't worry too much about flying with my OM in the Pro. I got a good price on a used Artist case, so it wasn't a hard decision to go for that over the Pro.

I don't have a Hiscox dread case, but I suspect an OM guitar would not be a good fit in a dread case.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Get the OOO/OM case for your OM - the GAD Dreadnought case is too big, I have both and I would never consider using the Dread case to fly an OM.

The Pro-ll cases are used by many U.K. pro-musicians for international travel with no more problems than you would encounter using any other type of case. One of my pro friends tours in Europe, and has toured Australia and NZ with his Martin in a Pro-ll case - no problems at all. They're called 'Lite-Flite' for a reason.

Maybe Bill (6L6), who brings guitars from the US to the UK and back in Pro-ll cases quite regularly, will chime in with advice here.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

I use a Pro for both my dread and OM. The OM case fits in overhead without a problem and I have hand checked both without issue. It's not a Calton, but it's cheaper and not as heavy. I would never add additional foam to a case that has been engineered to have specific tolerances nor would I travel any distance with an OM in a case fitted for a dreadnaught.

I'd say when I flew with a Calton I felt 100% sure my guitar would arrive without issue. With the Hiscox, 99%. If I was flying all the time, I'd probably get an Artist or Calton. Since I fly maybe 1 or 2 times a year, the Pro suits my needs.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:51 AM

Default Hiscox

For a combination of durability, protection, weight and price there's nothing I have found which even comes close to the Hiscox. My oldest case is 6 years old now and looks like new. I have had several guitars in it, all OM/000 size and they fit perfectly. I just got a standard case with another guitar and it seems nearly equally protective but the tolerances on the rim are not as precise, nor are the latches as good. The part that touches the guitar seems the same.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

My Lowden O22 came in a Hiscox case. Can't say anything but good about it? Don't know what model it was but it worked perfectly and had a safe snug fit. Also very light weight. I don't currently own one but if needed I wouldn't hesitate?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM

Do you plan to fly with it? Are you going to toss it into the back of a van?
... or is it for storage and careful transportation in the backseat?

My only Hiscox is a Standard for an electric - and it is sturdy and well built for my light use.

Hiscox lists their sizes pretty well
https://www.hiscoxcases.com/measurem...-guitar-cases/
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I travel with Hiscox Pro II regularly. Light weight and super sturdy. Fits both my dreads nicely. What’s not to like?

Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I owned two Pro II cases some years back and they travelled quite well on airlines.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Flew from Pgh to Orlando and back with my D-28 in a Hiscox Pro-II case. It does fit in the overhead. I think so highly of Hiscox cases that Im now looking for one for my Jumbo Harptone. By far the best case I have ever had, light and strong.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion