The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-18-2016, 04:22 AM

Default white or gold lacquer?

I need to find a source for white or maybe gold lacquer. I'm getting near to finishing a small L00/LG sized build, and want to do a headstock name in the script style of the early Gibsons. I have played around with fonts, and WordArt, and have what I feel is a viable pattern for it. I am afraid how the standard hardware store spray paint wound react under the lacquer topcoat. What about model paint, such as Testors?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Hi, are you aware that you can buy Gibson logo decals on Ebay.com ?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 AM

I mix my own. You can buy Gold metallic powder at most local craft stores. Just mix some with clear lacquer.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, are you aware that you can buy Gibson logo decals on Ebay.com ?
Yea, but I'm not doing 'Gibson'. I'm doing my last name. I want to capture the look and vintage vibe, not try to make a copy. I have the script ready to run a stencil. Just need to find the right kind of paint. I am leaning toward white, but gold would work ok too I guess. I can get custom decals made using my pattern, but prefer to use a stencil and spray. More authentic I think.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
I mix my own. You can buy Gold metallic powder at most local craft stores. Just mix some with clear lacquer.
Does that come out ok? I have seen that used before, and sometimes it wants to acquire a green tint when mixed. What brand/type do you use?
Old 03-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Rust Oleum makes a spray white lacquer. You might be able to get a touch-up size amount at the local auto paints store, though many of them are moving away from automotive lacquer.

You can test this on scrap, but I find it helpful to do a "dry" mist coat or two over something that I'm not sure lacquer will adhere to, let that dry, then start my build coats. The mist helps "set" whatever is under it and gives the subsequent coat some "teeth" to hold on to.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Use white or gold enamel spray not lacquer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair