The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Default Love my D-18, but....

It plays so much easier when I capo the first fret. The extra reach might be to far for me and I need a shorter scale. I also replaced the medium with Martin light strings and this also made it easier to play. The 000 body with the shorter scale might work but I’d miss the bass the dread gives me.. Crap I don’t start over again on a new search, but maybe a shorter scale Gibson dread will work. I tried the J15 but it sounded too thin. I mostly just play for myself and love the dread body tone....
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 PM

Tune the D-18 down to D and then place the capo at the second fret.
Now you are in standard tuning and have short scale.
Enjoy that great guitar.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

J45 J45 J45
Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 PM

This post just screams J-45. To me, anyway. I have only owned a single J45, and it was a 2018 that was absolutely phenomenal.

That being said, the Wildwood custom AJ I have now is a bit better sounding.. but the shorter scale of the J-45 made it a bit easier to play. Either way, I'm right there with ya; Martin is a fine guitar builder but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to at the very least do some homework and research potentially using that D18 to get you into a J45 or something. If you wanted to stick with Martin, you may consider a 000-18 .. you'll lose a small amount of bass, but I don't think it'll be a tremendous amount.. if the playability bothers you, it might be right up your alley..

anyway, that's the great thing about guitars: there's SO MANY great ones!! I'd start my search by trying to get my hands on a couple 2015+ J45's, J35's, AJ's.. along with a couple smaller Martins. I've heard great, great things about the M36.. it is almost near to dread size in its profile, but it's depth is rather thin, which lends itself to playability and comfort.. while retaining a balanced, big sound.. it's another one on my list..

anyway, happy hunting!!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 07-16-2018, 08:07 PM

It sounds like your nut slots need adjustment. That's easy. Take it to a shop and have it checked out.

Svea
Charter Member

I went through this phase where I tuned down half step for this reason. Not because I prefer a shorter reach, but because I love the bouncy response of a capo, which I’ve only really experienced on a full neck scale with a zero fret guitar (that could start a whole other thread). No, you don’t get the same playability from a good set up ... which I do appreciate, nothing improves playability like a good personalized set up. Over time, I realized that capo approach also takes as it gives .... some of the shimmer, especially strumming.

In the end I’ll use the right tool or the job, but I still pull that half step down + capo thing for certain tunes.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Tune the D-18 down to D and then place the capo at the second fret.
Now you are in standard tuning and have short scale.
Enjoy that great guitar.
I’m a 2 year novice who practices daily. What do you mean tune down to D? Would it be “D A D G B d” ?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Keep your eyes peeled for a D18 short scale. Or have one custom made...
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
I’m a 2 year novice who practices daily. What do you mean tune down to D? Would it be “D A D G B d” ?

Thanks!
No, D G C F A D

Chromatic scale..... Standard.............1 full down...
C
C#
D................................................. .........D
D#
E...............................E
F
F#
G................................................. .........G
G#
A..............................A
Bb
B
C................................................. .........C
C#
D..............................D
D#
E
F................................................. ..........F
F#
G..............................G
G#
A................................................. .........A
Bb
B...............................B
C
C#
D................................................. .........D
D#
E...............................E

Hopefully this is understandable

And I wouldn't trade in a D-18 for a J-45. You might ADD the J-45 to your herd, but it doesn't replace a Martin dread.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-16-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Tune each string a whole step lower. Instead of E A D G B E, it would be D G C F A d. Then, when you capo on the second fret, everything comes back up to standard tuning. You've made the tension seem like a short scale.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the info! The tuning info is really helpful. I just love the Martin sound and the feel.. I might wait and also pick up a J45 when the timing is right. I’ll try the new tuning and use that for while. Put back to standard tuning when I’m ready..

Last edited by Logdy; 07-16-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added more content
Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
It plays so much easier when I capo the first fret. The extra reach might be to far for me and I need a shorter scale. I also replaced the medium with Martin light strings and this also made it easier to play. ...The 000 body with the shorter scale might work but I’d miss the bass the dread gives me.....
Then you don't want to get rid of the D-18. Either get used to it, many children play dreads without issue (because they don't know there's an issue). Or tune it down as L20A said.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Keep your eyes peeled for a D18 short scale. Or have one custom made...
I was going to give this same recommendation. The D18 short scale would give you the best of both worlds. You just have to find a used one as I believe they only made them for a few years back in like 08 or 09 or sometime around there.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Logdy, I'll second the advice an earlier poster suggested about getting a setup. The tech will check your nut slots depth, neck relief, and 12th fret action, and make sure everything is where it should be. If it still comes back too stiff to play after that, then maybe look into a short scale Gibson J-45. Most Gibsons are optimized for Light strings, and when combined with the short scale, makes playability effortless.

Nothing wrong with Martin dreads, and my personal experience with several is that they need Medium strings to sound their best, but my fingers just can't handle the extra tension, even with a good setup.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It plays so much easier when I capo the first fret. The extra reach might be to far for me and I need a shorter scale. I also replaced the medium with Martin light strings and this also made it easier to play. The 000 body with the shorter scale might work but I’d miss the bass the dread gives me.. Crap I don’t start over again on a new search, but maybe a shorter scale Gibson dread will work. I tried the J15 but it sounded too thin. I mostly just play for myself and love the dread body tone....
That's interesting to me. I had a J15 and D18 at the same time. My J15 was not thin compared to the D18, but it certainly wasn't as warm. My current J35 and Larrivee SD40M are both more powerful either the D18 or the J15.

From what you describe, I think you may want to check out a J45 or SJ. Either will give you the short scale and a rich bass and lower mid-range response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion