The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
1st choice - a D-18
2nd choice - a D-28
3rd choice - a J-40 (actually it would be my 1st choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than a D-18 or D-28).

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Yes on the J-40. Someone is selling a nice looking specimen in classifieds. Maury’s also sometimes has a lower cost J-28, which is same guitar without the bling ... too bad that’s not a standard model. For me, the J is the most versatile Martin in my experience. But virtually unknown. Same depth as a dread, with a curvier bout, so easier to play, and without the dread boom — plenty of bass, but defined, along with other mid and high characteristics of the D28. Fingerstyle and strumming ... you name it.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 PM

I agree with many of the others. Go play a D-18 or D-28 and, if you like one or the other, buy it , search for it, or save for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion