The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Baritone neck damage

I am really bummed. I recently ordered a used Alvarez ABT60E baritone guitar with case from Guitar Center for half the new sell price. The guitar appeared to be in excellent condition when I got it. There were only a few marks on the pick guard and the case appeared to be brand new so I was very happy with my buy. I have had it for about a month now and have been enjoying playing it. However, yesterday I noticed there is a hairline crack forming at the nut on both sides of the neck. The crack is fairly pronounced on the treble side and runs down the neck about 2 inches almost into the middle of the neck. I don't think it was like this when I bought it or it could be the crack was there and is starting to get more pronounced. I have only tuned it B-B as specified or lower in A-A so I know I didn't do anything to cause this. I untightened the strings to take the pressure off the neck in case the headstock decides to let go. I called the Guitar Center I ordered it from and they told me I need to return it for a refund. I am really disappointed but at least it occurred within my 45 day return window. Had this happened after 45 days I would be stuck so this highlights the risk of ordering used instruments on line. I would like to replace it but I think I will wait for a while before doing anything else. As much as I like the guitar I don't want to pay double what I paid so I will have to decide if I want to chance another used one. Decisions decisions ....
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM

I understand your disappointment but the good news is that GC allows you to return the instrument. I recently had an experience that reinforces how important it is to have a dealer stand behind a purchase. There are some things that just aren’t going to show up on an initial inspection or in two weeks of casual playing.

In my case, I was pretty much told I was on my own with a structural issue on a higher end new guitar at a little over two weeks. I was disappointed at the response. I’m glad you have more acceptable options.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I had my neck split around that same area on my Martin D18. Mine was primarily due to low humidity in an arid environment and occurred when I was most ignorant about the effects of humidity.

Perhaps the guitar you have was exposed to a dry climate for a long period of time before you bought it? It could be fixed, but it sounds like you are going to simply return it. The only way I would keep it and fix it is if GC gave me a partial refund. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Agreed, the 45 day return policy is very good. Sorry to hear that you got stuck with a higher end problem, hopefully you can get it addressed without too much issue.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Perhaps the guitar you have was exposed to a dry climate for a long period of time before you bought it? It could be fixed, but it sounds like you are going to simply return it. The only way I would keep it and fix it is if GC gave me a partial refund. Good luck!
I didn't realize low humidity could cause a neck crack. There are no signs of damage anywhere other than the cracked area so low humidity could be what caused the issue. I only use body humidifiers with my guitars so it sounds like a whole case humidifier should be used?

What needs to be done to fix a neck crack like this? The GC didn't offer any type of refund though but that might be an option if it can be fixed and the price lowered enough. I will look into that.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Yep, low humidity AND/OR high humidity can cause wood to do amazing things.

I'm not privy enough to know how they performed the fix, but I'm sure if you posted some pics, someone might chime in. In my case, I took it to a local repair shop and they fixed it. It happened about 15 years ago, so I don't recall what it cost me. Looking at the neck, I can hardly tell now.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:25 AM

I returned the guitar with the cracked neck on Friday. The manager apologized for the inconvenience and gave me a nice discount on an Ibanez AE255BT baritone that is on back order until early August. I was OK with the short delay so I made the purchase. However GC evidently tries to fill back orders from available store stock. I received a cancellation notice on the order from a store in MO that was trying to fill the order. I called the store for an explanation on why they cancelled the order. They evidently had a display model that they were going to send me but it had a broken string where someone had tuned it to standard. They further investigated and found there is truss rod damage so they cancelled the order. This was supposed to be a new guitar so I was not happy that they were going to ship me a played guitar from another store.

I am considering a used fan fret baritone guitar that I just saw. If that does not work out I may contact the GC store manager where I ordered the Ibanez to see if they will place the order again at the reduced price. I am not happy with how GC handled this so I am not sure if I want to re-order. We will see what happens.

Steve
Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Can GC get you a new Alvarez?
I know it will be more money but they are good guitars at very good prices, even new.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 AM

I could get a new Alvarez ABT60E for $499.00 without the case. I paid $299.00 with a hard shell case for the used one that I returned. The Ibanez AE255BT is supposed to be better guitar and normally sells for $699.00 but the manager offered to give it to me for the same price as the new Alvarez. I liked the Alvarez but the deal they offered me on the Ibanez made it worth trying out. I may still call the manager and see if he will reinstate the order and make sure that I get a new one instead of a store beater model.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion